What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: 1776 (1972) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
90eccdc8-6bbf-4ad8-993a-1ef0d4687be0.png
CELEBRATE THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MUSICAL FAVORITE
2602818e-d39c-032a-4da5-839bfa30fd75.png
INCLUDES MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF THE FILM AND A LIMITED SLEEVE FEATURING THEATRICAL ARTWORK

AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON 4K ULTRA HD™
MAY 31ST
90b5b3a1-c95f-8354-756e-fa4b47f2c4cf.jpg
1776 SYNOPSIS
1776 is a musical celebration of the founding of the United States of America based on the award-winning Broadway production! The story centers around the tough and unyielding John Adams (William Daniels), the charming and pragmatic Benjamin Franklin (Howard Da Silva), the brilliant young Thomas Jefferson (Ken Howard), and the rest of the Continental Congress. All events lead up to that most significant historical date: July 4, 1776.
DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS

1776 4K ULTRA HD DISC
  • Includes both the 165-minute Director’s Cut and the 167-minute Extended Cut
  • Both versions presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, with Dolby Atmos + 5.1 audio
1776 BLU-RAY FEATURE DISC
  • Includes both the 165-minute Director’s Cut and the 167-minute Extended Cut
  • Both versions presented in High Definition with 5.1 audio
  • Special Features:
    • Commentary with Peter H. Hunt, William Daniels & Ken Howard (Director’s Cut only)
    • Commentary with Peter H. Hunt and Peter Stone (Director’s Cut only)
    • Deleted & Alternate Scenes with Director Commentary
    • 9 Screen Tests
    • Teaser & Theatrical Trailers
1776 BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURE DISC
  • 1972 Theatrical Version of the Film (presented in HD with original mono audio)
  • 1992 Laserdisc Version of the Film (presented in SD with stereo audio)
    • Includes optional archival commentary featuring director Peter H. Hunt
1776 CREDITS
Directed By: Peter H. Hunt
Produced by: Jack L. Warner
Screenplay by: Peter Stone
Starring: William Daniels, Howard Da Silva, Ken Howard, Donald Madden, Blythe Danner, John Cullum, Roy Poole, David Ford, Virginia Vestoff

1776 4K ULTRA HD DISC SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 165 / 167 minutes
Rating: Not Rated
4K UHD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.35:1
4K UHD Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, baby! Best announcement for me this year.

...and in Dolby Atmos. Holy Canoli!

And my utmost thanks to Grover Crisp. I communicated with him months ago begging that if this 4k release were to happen to be certain the 167-minute extended cut would be available in 4k as well. He told me he would push for that and apparently, he did.

And, finally, thanks for not making me have to buy an expensive Collector's Set to get this one title.

This is a happy day! Thank you Grover and Sony!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Two minutes is the difference in two cuts?

Yes, but to anyone who is a fan of the film, it is a pivotal 2 minutes...

It includes the extension of the song, "Piddle Twiddle", and the reprise of Lee’s (where Lee makes an abrupt second appearance on his horse after singing "The Lees of Old Virginia").

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I’ll probably get this but I’m disappointed that the theatrical release was not included. I think it’s better than the director’s cut.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I’ll probably get this but I’m disappointed that the theatrical release was not included. I think it’s better than the director’s cut.

Has the theatrical cut (with the deletion/exclusion of "Cool, Cool Considerate Men") been seen on any format since the film was restored for laser disc? In all honesty, I really doubt we'll see that version ever again since so many people consider it a botched/compromised cut.

EDIT: Whoops! Thanks to David Weicker, I see that the theatrical cut (in HD) IS included as a special feature. My mistake!!

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Something I just picked up when re-reading the press release (as I skimmed it the first time)...

They are including the 1992 laserdisc version?

Really?

This is the unauthorized version with not only a newly created overture but includes a scene that Peter Hunt didn't want on any of his versions (Jefferson looking out at a young girl in the courtyard). That release also has a rough copy of "Cool Cool Considerate Men" instead of the restored version.

Are the scenes going to be restored in the laserdisc release or are we getting them in rough cut, as originally presented? I don't think I care which. In fact, I'd rather have the rough cut as it was presented at the time.

The inclusion of that laserdisc release is AWESOME news. For fans of the film, it's a Holy Grail of the time but I am wondering how Peter Hunt would feel about that if he were still around.

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Something I just picked up when re-reading the press release (as I skimmed it the first time)...

They are including the 1992 laserdisc version?

Really?

This is the unauthorized version with not only a newly created overture but includes a scene that Peter Hunt didn't want on any of his versions (Jefferson looking out at a young girl in the courtyard). That release also has a rough copy of "Cool Cool Considerate Men" instead of the restored version.

Are the scenes going to be restored in the laserdisc release or are we getting them in rough cut, as originally presented? I don't think I care which. In fact, I'd rather have the rough cut as it was presented at the time.

The inclusion of that laserdisc release is AWESOME news. For fans of the film, it's a Holy Grail of the time but I am wondering how Peter Hunt would feel about that if he were still around.
It's the same 2 cuts that were included on the Sony Blu Ray

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
What Twilight Time Blu-ray?
My mistake, Sony released it on blu ray with both cuts: Laserdisc ran 180 minutes...overture and intermission music.

1776: Restored Director's Cut Blu-ray​

Posted March 26, 2015 12:12 AM by

Sony Pictures
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has officially announced the Blu-ray release of Peter H. Hunt 's 1776. Based on the international stage triumph that won the Tony Award® and The New York Drama Critics Circle Award as "Best Musical of the Year," the musical classic is presented with a Director's Cut meticulously restored in 4K from the original camera negative, under the guidance of Hunt and Sony Pictures Entertainment Executive Vice President of Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering Grover Crisp. 1776 makes its Blu-ray debut on June 2nd.

Synopsis: Based on the international stage triumph that won the Tony Award® and The New York Drama Critics Circle Award as "Best Musical of the Year," 1776 is a musical celebration of the founding of the United States of America based on the award-winning Broadway production. The story centers around the familiar historical characters as they organize a movement for independence from Mother England: the tough unyielding John Adams (William Daniels); the charming and pragmatic Benjamin Franklin (Howard Da Silva); the brilliant young Thomas Jefferson (Ken Howard), who is chosen to write the Declaration of Independence even as he longs for the company of his new bride Martha (Blythe Danner); and the rest of the Continental Congress. All events lead up to that most significant date July 4, 1776 when the Declaration was signed. Now fully restored for its high definition debut on Blu-ray, 1776 looks and sounds better than ever.

The film was nominated for both an Academy Award (Best Cinematography, Harry Stradling Jr., 1972) and a Golden Globe (Best Motion Picture-Musical/Comedy, 1972). Brought to the screen by legendary producer Jack L. Warner, 1776 was shot with most of the original Broadway cast, and features William Daniels as John Adams, Howard Da Silva as Benjamin Franklin, Ken Howard as Thomas Jefferson and Blythe Danner as Martha Jefferson. "The movie is not a 'whodunit'—we all know who signed the Declaration of Independence—it's a 'howdunit,'" Hunt said. "It creates dramatic tension from a story where everyone knows the ending."

The new Director's Cut restores the film to its original visual brilliance and features newly discovered material. In addition to the Director's Cut, the Blu-ray also presents an Extended Cut of the film via seamless branching, along with a newly restored and remixed 5.1 soundtrack. "We worked tirelessly to return this film to as pristine a condition as possible and are excited to bring the newly restored version of 1776 to audiences worldwide," Crisp said of the restoration, which will have its world premiere screening March 28 at the TCM Classic Film Festival.

The restored Director's Cut is based, in part, on an earlier restoration carried out for a 2002 DVD release. That version, also prepared with Hunt's oversight, added a number of scenes and lost elements that were missing from the original theatrical release. Among them was a musical number that had been dropped from the film by Warner at the request of President Richard Nixon (who felt the scene cast conservatives in an unfavorable light). Further detective work for the new version uncovered additional "lost" material, including dialogue that had been changed over ratings concerns. "There were a few lines that Jack Warner wanted changed… but the changes weren't funny," Hunt said. "The original lines from Broadway were funny, and now, for the first time, they are in the movie."

State-of-the-art 4K digital technology made it possible to address problems and restore color fidelity to a level not possible at the time of the earlier restoration, which was done through photochemical processes. Variations in color, due to different levels of degradation in negative elements, have been eliminated as much as possible, resulting in a seamless look. "When a scene comes up that had been cut out or compromised in some way, it looks like it is supposed to be there because we could maintain consistency with the image and keep its natural filmic quality," Crisp explained.

Colorworks Colorist Sheri Eisenberg said that much time was spent studying existing film prints and other reference material in order to ensure the restoration accurately represented the movie in its original form. "We did a lot of eyeballing," Eisenberg said. "We kept asking ourselves, 'Does it feel right?' 'What can we do to make it better?' We wanted to keep the theatrical feeling of the original." Hunt said that, in some ways, the results go beyond the original. "I'm ecstatic," he said. "1776 is back to where it should be. The work done by Grover and his team is miraculous. It looks better than when it premiered. It's gorgeous!"

Exclusive Blu-ray special features include:
  • All-new commentary with director Peter H. Hunt, William Daniels & Ken Howard
  • Extended Cut of the film
  • Deleted and alternate scenes with Filmmaker Commentary
  • Four never-before-seen Screen Tests
  • Original Theatrical Teaser & Trailer
Also featured:
  • Commentary with Peter H. Hunt & Peter Stone
  • Archival Screen Tests

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My mistake, Sony released it on blu ray with both cuts:

I figured you accidentally misspoke. No problem. However, you did reply to my question about what was included on the laserdisc, and there is actually more material on that release than has been released on any Blu-ray cut. As I previously noted, it contains the unauthorized overture, very rough footage of extra scenes that were eventually restored for the Blu-ray release, and a short scene that Peter Hunt has refused to put on any subsequent release of the film. There could be even more footage as that laserdisc clocked in at 180 minutes.

Did the Blu-ray contain the Intermission? I know the laserdisc did.

Couldn't be happier for you Ron. As a long-time member I suspect this may be your all-time most wanted title.

It is. I was completely blown away that this was announced today. Not only that, for the fact that Grover and Sony did the absolute best job that they could by including both the Director's Cut, Extended Version, and Laserdisc release. I could not have wanted anything more out of this.

Plus, they remixed this for Dolby Atmos, though I am not certain what the heights will add to the mix. Perhaps all the aircraft flyovers during the outdoor scenes?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Got to give them a lot of credit for including all the versions of the film, two in 4K, three in 1080p, and one in SD (which only ever existed in SD). Will be interesting to see some of the chopped theatrical version compared to the later versions.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon placeholder. Pre-order should go live within a day or so

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The theatrical version was how I first saw the film and how it existed for me for a long time. The longest version is probably the better one but it’ll be great to have the version audiences originally saw back in print.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I watched the LD version dozens of times, before the latest BD was released. The latest BD is the closest to what was originally on the LD, with only a few seconds of trims (not including the overture created specifically for the LD release). If memory serves, the only two pieces missing on the BD is Jefferson seeing the young girl outside, and the lamplighting scene as Adams is waking up at the foot of the stairs.

This release is wonderful news for anyone who loves this musical, especially people like myself who can never get enough of seeing it

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hate that I’m being forced to buy 1776 as a stand-alone.;)

And you know what is very sad but true, Phil?

If Columbia had included 1776 in yet another Columbia Classics 4k Ultra HD Collection (Volume 3) that included Gigli, Deuce Bigalow, The Pink Panther 2, Animal, and Not Another Teen Movie --- I would have spent the $120+ for it on day one!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Blu is fantastic as it is, but I’ll be happily upgrading. Especially great the theatrical cut is included in HD and laserdisc cut in SD (with the commentary no less), even if the director’s cut is obviously the best version. I actually felt the extended cut was just alright and the two extensions work better as deleted scenes since they do harm the flow a bit.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks