What's new

3D 3D Theme Park Attractions on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

williamedit

Auditioning
Real Name
William
Does anybody know if any of the 3d shows seen in theme parks has been released to 3d home dvd? Wouldn't it be great if Disney released a special 3d set that included Magic Journeys, Captain Eo, Muppetvision 3d, and the Moseketeers 3d Jamboree which included Working For Peanuts and Melody. Of course, this is only a pipe dream as we all know by now that Disney won't release any 3d dvds in North America. By the way, has anyone tried the side-by-side 3d postings on Youtube? There's some pretty good stuff there and it looks okay.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Disney used to do those metal case 'Disney Treasures' dvds, and they always seemed to sell out. A "3-D Treasures" set would be worth having.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Interdimensional said:
Disney used to do those metal case 'Disney Treasures' dvds, and they always seemed to sell out. A "3-D Treasures" set would be worth having.

This is a sensational idea. I suspect Disney would never do it since its interest in 3D has waned, but they certainly have enough material for a set or two.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
williamedit said:
Does anybody know if any of the 3d shows seen in theme parks has been released to 3d home dvd? Wouldn't it be great if Disney released a special 3d set that included Magic Journeys, Captain Eo, Muppetvision 3d, and the Moseketeers 3d Jamboree which included Working For Peanuts and Melody. Of course, this is only a pipe dream as we all know by now that Disney won't release any 3d dvds in North America. By the way, has anyone tried the side-by-side 3d postings on Youtube? There's some pretty good stuff there and it looks okay.

Add Mickey's PhilharMagic and It's Tough to be a Bug!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I haven't seen many of these, but I caught Mickey's PhilharMagic this past year and its 3D is incredible!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Charles Smith said:
I haven't seen many of these, but I caught Mickey's PhilharMagic this past year and its 3D is incredible!

I have seen them all - I was at Disney World last year. Mickey's PhilharMagic has pretty amazing 3D but I wish the PQ wasn't so soft. One thing you might not notice is the images on the side screens are not 3D.

When I made the trip to Dayton, Ohio in 1999 to see Cinerama at the New Neon theatre, there were a few Disney employees that were there to see This is Cinerama and How the West Was Won. I thought that maybe they would have a Cinerama related attraction at Disney World in the future. Years later in 2003 Mickey's PhilharMagic opened with three images on a curved screen, similar to Cinerama except the center image is 3D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw the Mickey PhilharMagic at Disney last year too! For the most part, I loved it. The use of the side panels was amazing. But I also experienced a lot of ghosting in the 3D images throughout the entire presentation.

Almost all of the linear polarized 3D showings I saw at Disney and Universal had very bad crosstalk, at least to me. For the moving attractions that used the Dolby 3D systems, I didn't have an issue. So I'm not sure if it was just my brain not accepting the 3D, if my seat location wasn't ideal, or if the projectors had lost their alignment. Captain Eo was headache inducing which was so disappointing - as a kid it didn't bother me so not sure what happened there.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Josh Steinberg said:
I saw the Mickey PhilharMagic at Disney last year too! For the most part, I loved it. The use of the side panels was amazing. But I also experienced a lot of ghosting in the 3D images throughout the entire presentation.

Almost all of the linear polarized 3D showings I saw at Disney and Universal had very bad crosstalk, at least to me. For the moving attractions that used the Dolby 3D systems, I didn't have an issue. So I'm not sure if it was just my brain not accepting the 3D, if my seat location wasn't ideal, or if the projectors had lost their alignment. Captain Eo was headache inducing which was so disappointing - as a kid it didn't bother me so not sure what happened there.

As I said on another topic, Disney should hire Bob and Greg to fix the alignment on their 3D attractions, especially Captain Eo.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if the material itself is out of alignment, or if the projectors have slowly creeped out of alignment after years of use. Or if it's a little bit of both. I can imagine people doing the work of installing everything and then saying "Well, since it's the exact same movie playing each and every time, no need to check it!"

williamedit

Auditioning
Real Name
William
Hey everybody, thanks for your comments. I have all the Walt Disney Treasures series. Indeed, a 3d set would be great. Not to mention a deluxe release of Song of the South. I know, not 3d but I thought I'd throw that into the mix. I haven't been to a Disney Park for many years and never had any problems with crosstalk in their 3d shows. My all-time favorite was Magic Journeys, a lyrical trip into the world of a child's imagination. I remember one sequence where the children were on a carousel and when they grabbed the brass ring, they tossed it out at the audience and it stopped and spun about a foot from your face.

I wonder if Universal or Busch Gardens could be persuaded to release some of their 3d shows to the home dvd market.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
williamedit said:
Hey everybody, thanks for your comments. I have all the Walt Disney Treasures series. Indeed, a 3d set would be great. Not to mention a deluxe release of Song of the South. I know, not 3d but I thought I'd throw that into the mix. I haven't been to a Disney Park for many years and never had any problems with crosstalk in their 3d shows. My all-time favorite was Magic Journeys, a lyrical trip into the world of a child's imagination. I remember one sequence where the children were on a carousel and when they grabbed the brass ring, they tossed it out at the audience and it stopped and spun about a foot from your face.

I wonder if Universal or Busch Gardens could be persuaded to release some of their 3d shows to the home dvd market.

Universal Studios theme park had the Alfred Hitchcock The Art of Making Movies attraction many years ago that had a 3D scene for The Birds. It would have been cool if they included it as an extra on the Blu-ray release. The 3D scene was done just for the attraction.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I caught that in Orlando in 1998. It just happened I was with a friend who wasn't particularly a Hitchcock fan, but she loved The Birds. It also just happened that she had never been exposed to true 3-D, having only known anaglyphic -- which didn't work for her eyes at all. She was overjoyed at how she was not only seeing 3-D for the first time, but it was from a favorite film.

It's too bad Universal has basically "retired" Hitchcock insofar as their parks are concerned. I remember even the gift shop in Orlando having a number of nice Hitch-y items.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Is Captain Eo still being projected on 70mm today?

With the George Lucas/Star Wars connection, you'd think they would want to release it on home video one of these days, if only to kill the bootleg market.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
A preview of Disney’s Tomorrowland is currently being shown. Captain Eo will be back July 19, 2015.

Jbug

Agent
Real Name
June
Charles Smith said:
I caught that in Orlando in 1998. It just happened I was with a friend who wasn't particularly a Hitchcock fan, but she loved The Birds. It also just happened that she had never been exposed to true 3-D, having only known anaglyphic -- which didn't work for her eyes at all. She was overjoyed at how she was not only seeing 3-D for the first time, but it was from a favorite film.

It's too bad Universal has basically "retired" Hitchcock insofar as their parks are concerned. I remember even the gift shop in Orlando having a number of nice Hitch-y items.

I agree about retiring Hitchcock. Universal also gives little respect to their Universal Monsters in their park. If I was running their theme park, I'd have a dedicated building just for Frank, Drac, The Mummy, Wolfman, Bride of Frank and The Creature From The Black Lagoon. I know they have that spooky type haunted house to walk through but that is no where near enough. They need a permanent building. The current owners need to be reminded of what Universal is truly famous for.

Jbug

Agent
Real Name
June
Speaking of theme park 3D movies. I'd like to get that Shrek movie that Universal has been using for a number of years.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jbug said:
Speaking of theme park 3D movies. I'd like to get that Shrek movie that Universal has been using for a number of years.

I have a field-sequential 3D version on DVD. I don't think the 3D was that great on that version.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It was also released in anaglyph at one point, but of course, the less said about anaglyph, the better.

Similarly, M &M's World in Las Vegas has a small digital 3D theatre set up on the 3rd floor of the store. Some of the effects are amazing, but the reusable 3D glasses are in such rough shape that ghosting and crosstalk are prominent, and I doubt that the projectors have been optimised for convergence issues recently. Still, it fits into the "theme park" concept in a sideways sort of way, as there is interaction with live staff in the theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks