What's new
World Wide Stereo

Playing audio through TV speakers with Onkyo AVR (1 Viewer)

Foybj

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hi-- I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-NR636. I have a Samsung plasma, directv, and an Apple TV.

My wife has no desire to learn to use the AVR, so I would like just to be able to play the audio from the TV during the day while I am at work.

She uses the directv and the Apple TV (Netflix) primarily

Can anyone tell me how to make it work?!

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

A few years back this was an easy proposition. Most source components came with both analog and digital outputs for both audio and video, and folks in your predicament could send one to the TV and the other to the receiver. These days source components only have HDMI outputs and maybe a separate digital audio output. So your only option is to connect the DirecTV and Apple directly to the TV using HDMI, and a separate digital audio output to the Onkyo.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not going to happen, unless you find a 3(or 4)x2 matrix that can ignore EDID when set on HDMI into the AVR.

Otherwise, that AVR has HDMI passthrough in standby. If DirecTV is the only thing(you can talk her into just that)she'll use...just make sure the AVR is on cable/sat when you put it in standby.

That AVR might include HDMI switching in standy, meaning, if it has that...she'd just need to push cable/sat and whatever you put the ATV on.

Same thing she have to do on the TV anyway...switch the input.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
The Yamaha RX-V775 has "standby passthrough" when sleeping. Looks like the NR636 does something like that too...

It also supports HDMI-CEC control, so switching on an input still switches the AVR input without turnning on. I can also switch inputs with the remote and the TV will play the signal (video + audio) selected. With Network Standby enabled, I can change the input passed through using a web control, or a mobile app (Android, iOS). There are also "Scene" buttons that provide one-button access to inputs, decoder settings, and with HDMI control, will turn on the TV. I don't see anything like that in the Onkyo manual. :(

Does Onkyo have a model with such a convenience? If so, that's the model you want. Then just show the missus, "Button 1 is the DirecTV. Button 2 is the AppleTV. That's all you need to press." If not, then I guess my sounding like a Yamaha salesman has some benefit to this discussion. :}

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks