What's new

Onkyo NR-709 No Picture to TV (1 Viewer)

dfondry

Auditioning
Real Name
dylan fondry
Hi all, I had a home reno project go a little awry and am hoping the experts here can get me back on track.Here is the setup I had working fine before the reno (all connected through HDMI):Onkyo NR-709TV - Samsung PN64D550C1FXZABlu Ray - Panny DMP - BDT220We put in new flooring and since we were out of the house figured it was a good time to have our electrician mount our tv to the wall and run an HDMI cable to our laundry room and get the components out of the vicinity of where our 6 month old is learning to grab things.I ran a 60 foot Monoprice HDMI cable from the TV back to the laundry room and reconnected it to the Onkyo. Now, the TV is not recognizing any signal from the receiver.I’m sure the simplest solution is the cable is bad – I know long runs of HDMI tend not to do well but this one got great reviews. But there does appear to be SOMETHING passing from the receiver to the TV as when I turn on the blu ray and the receiver (on the blu ray input) the tv turns on automatically to the input from the receiver but then displays the “no signal” message. I have tested both the blu ray and receiver on another aux input to tv and it works, so the receiver and blu ray are working.
Here is what I have been able to deduce so far:• My TV recognizes the long HDMI cable plugged in to its input• When the long HDMI cable is connected to OUT MAIN on the avr the receiver display does not show that a blu ray is playing, does not show the audio type (dolby dts, thx, etc), nor does the speaker setup show on the left of avr display• When I disconnect the long HDMI cable from OUT MAIN all of the above DOES display – it looks like it always has when I‘ve played a blu ray• Components have been unplugged for about three weeks, but I wouldn’t think that matters. I went through the Onkyo on screen setup and my configuration seems to be the same as when I disconnected it• Prior to the project I would often connect my PC to the front HDMI Aux input of the Onkyo to show family pictures etc. I tried this tonight after I was unable to get the blu ray to work. The avr does not recognize a signal from my pc while connected to the aux input. This has never been a problemNot sure where to go from here other than calling Geek Squad.Any and all ideas are appreciated.Thanks in advance,

dfondry

Auditioning
Real Name
dylan fondry
schan1269 said:
What happens when you connect just the BD player to the 60ft HDMI?
Thanks for the quick response!

Just tried this, and the result was similar to the avr connect. Connected blu ray directly to the 60 ft HDMI, turned blu ray on and the tv turned on to proper input but displays "no signal" message.

Is it possible the HDMI is not fully connected to back of tv? I have a friend coming over shortly to unmount the tv and replug the hdmi in to back of tv.

Thanks for your help.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Dylan. You got a good cable and Im surprised the blu ray player direct didnt work. Hopefully its just that the cable is not fully connected on the TV end, let us know.

dfondry

Auditioning
Real Name
dylan fondry
Type A said:
Welcome to the forum Dylan. You got a good cable and Im surprised the blu ray player direct didnt work. Hopefully its just that the cable is not fully connected on the TV end, let us know.
Thanks for the welcome and the responses. Just tried reconnecting the hdmi cable to no avail. Back to the beginning. With everything that has been ruled out so far am I back to a bad cable? Or are there otentially some setting issues with the avr to the tv. I feel like I've been stung by Samsung Anynet + in the past.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You might make sure the TV us on the correct input.Some TV will turn on even if the wrong input "other end" is turned on.Otherwise...coulda/shoulda checked the cable before putting it in the wall.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Next I would take the blu ray to the TV and try another cable. If that video works correctly then yes Captain Hindsight is correct and its a reminder that longer cables should always be checked before install as many factors can prevent proper operation. Monoprice makes good cables so it might also be that your TV doesnt like the longer run and the cable is fine.

Monoprice also makes HDMI amps and a Redmere HDMI cable if it comes down to replacing the cable.

dfondry

Auditioning
Real Name
dylan fondry
Thank you all for the help and advice. I will definitely check the cable next time.

I spoke to my electrician/AV guy and perhaps all is not lost. He buried a cat 5 cable in the wall for just such a possibility. Will need a balun (sp?) connector but may not have to rip apart the wall just yet. Any recommendations on a good balun? My default would be to go to monoprice...I have also heard conflicting reports on if better to run dual cat 5 cables or a single. Has anyone had success with either?

Thanks again.

dfondry

Auditioning
Real Name
dylan fondry
schan1269 said:
Vanco 280532Best single cat extender there is.
Thanks to everyone for your help today. We will be dismounting the tv tomorrow to clean the hdmi head as one last hope. After that I will be making the move to the Vanco. Will update hopefully with good news.

Cheers

dfondry

Auditioning
Real Name
dylan fondry
An update - the Vanco works like a charm. 1080p from the wall back to the laundry room.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks