What's new

Introduction from a film noir lover (1 Viewer)

simonofengland

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
I have a love of all things 'film noir', with a reasonably large collection which can be accessed on letterboxd under the name mog1404. I have a dedicated cinema room which comprises of 7:1 paradigm speakers, marantz amp and a JVC 45 projector. The projector is my third in 15 years and without a doubt the best. I love my cinema room which was once a double garage. Which I lovingly converted myself. The room is also home to a nice collection of original 27x41 USA noir posters for which I am proud to own, all wall mounted in snap frames. Virtually every evening is spent in the room and it has provided me with countless wonderful cinematic experiences. I do wonder why I have a 7:1 system when my true love is for film noir. My son visits quite often and manages to find the odd earth shaking movie to test out the system and remove the cobwebs. As well as my cinema room I have two panasonic plasma sets which I swear by as I am still not impressed by the current range of sets which I view regularly in my local John Lewis store. Plasma has a more filmic look, better black levels and superior viewing angles. More expensive to run but worth it. On the subject of me, I am an ex professional cameraman who still dabbles occasionally.
That is my introduction as I sit in my cinema room in Kent, the Garden of England. Happy viewing everybody.
Ps. Anybody who has a region 2 Carlotta copy of the movie Strictly Scarlet, I would like to hear from you.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Hi Simon,
I'm fairly new to HTF myself, but let me be the first to welcome you. It's a great site, catering to all tastes. Great discussion with passion, humour, respect and expert opinion from the very best. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have.
P.S. - I used to live in Wye, near Ashford a lifetime ago, so a special welcome from an ex-Kent resident!

simonofengland

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
I would love people to look at my letterboxd list of film noir movies (over 300) that I own and tell me if I have missed anything out. Nowadays I feel I am simply getting dregs. If you can suggest a noir title I have not seen I would be grateful. My letterboxd user name is mog1404. Happy hunting.
ps. Away from noir for a moment but still on the subject of great movies. I managed to get hold of a 27x41 original poster of the Bogart movie 'Deadline USA', which I personally think is awesome. The poster needs some tlc which I will give it once I have some spare cash.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Very impressive collection on letterboxd, you seem to have most of the great ones. Ones I didn't see that I would recommend are The Tatooed Stranger, RKO, 1950, and Woman on the Run, Fidelity Pictures, also 1950.

simonofengland

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Thanks David. Nice suggestions. I will certainly attempt to get these two. One of my annoyances in life is trying to find what noir's are available in the USA ( I have a US account) iTunes database. I have quite a few, but I wish there was a film noir search in the iTunes search engine. Makes it exciting when you find them, but frustrating at the same time.
Latest watch was The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry. Not sure if it should be a noir, rather a murder mystery. Pretty good movie though. Love George Sanders.
Thanks again

simonofengland

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Nice video Sam. Interesting angle. I find that there is not so much a 'thin line' as to 'what is film noir' as a rather broad one. Often movies get called film noir for obvious reasons like heavy rain, shadows, man on a downward spiral, femme fatale etc etc. Sometimes i find movies that are not quite a 'noir', but turn out to be good murder mystery movies anyway. So the genre can have a habit of leading you astray but in a good direction. I love The Big Lebowski like millions of others and whether it is a noir or not is a good example of what i have just stated.

Thanks for the video.

dbald

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
simonofengland said:
I have a love of all things 'film noir', with a reasonably large collection which can be accessed on letterboxd under the name mog1404. I have a dedicated cinema room which comprises of 7:1 paradigm speakers, marantz amp and a JVC 45 projector. The projector is my third in 15 years and without a doubt the best. I love my cinema room which was once a double garage. Which I lovingly converted myself. The room is also home to a nice collection of original 27x41 USA noir posters for which I am proud to own, all wall mounted in snap frames. Virtually every evening is spent in the room and it has provided me with countless wonderful cinematic experiences. I do wonder why I have a 7:1 system when my true love is for film noir. My son visits quite often and manages to find the odd earth shaking movie to test out the system and remove the cobwebs. As well as my cinema room I have two panasonic plasma sets which I swear by as I am still not impressed by the current range of sets which I view regularly in my local John Lewis store. Plasma has a more filmic look, better black levels and superior viewing angles. More expensive to run but worth it. On the subject of me, I am an ex professional cameraman who still dabbles occasionally.
That is my introduction as I sit in my cinema room in Kent, the Garden of England. Happy viewing everybody.
Ps. Anybody who has a region 2 Carlotta copy of the movie Strictly Scarlet, I would like to hear from you.

Hi Simon. Do you mean Slightly Scarlet, with John Payne?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks