What's new

Klipsch Speaker vs AVR (1 Viewer)

eVoL

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Os
Hi guys, I am a new to home theater. I Just wanna run this by you guys to see what your thoughts are.

I have a Klipsch Reference speakers for my home theater (RF82 ii/RC62). I have a yamaha rxv573 (80watts a channel). I played with the settings on this amp for weeks and the systems sounds week. Have to crank almost full power to get a decent volume out it. Previous to these speakers I had Bose Acoustimass series 10 and it was the same way. It never was very loud unless cranked up (i thought this was due to the Bose speakers as people state they are not very good).

I was able to get ahold of a old Sony 5.1 amp to test with it has an rms of 100watts per channel, plugged it in and there was a significant difference in volume. I had it to about 25-30% volume on the Sony and produced the same level of loudness as the Yamaha was at 75-80%. Both amps were running at 8ohms and the yahama setting for volume was set to Maximun in the settings.

Should I be looking for a better amp? People have said to me that going from 80watts to 100-110watts will make no difference. I noticed a huge difference or maybe something is wrong with my Yamaha amp.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks for you help in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. AVR are not their rated power divided by 5(or 7). So that 80 watts drops to 50(or less) when running all 5.2. Modern avr use volume doubling in the volume control. Old AVR (prior to 12 years ago) use linear volume. (Explain that difference later).3. How big is the room?4. Sub, or no sub?Linear vs volume doubling...The old way of volume control meant adding 1/4 every 1/4 of volume knob...So (to make math easy) if identical 100 avr use either...Linear...1/4 volume is 251/2 volume is 503/4 is 75Full is 100.Volume doubling*, the way it is now...1/4 is 12.51/2 is 253/4 is 50Full is 100.*And that is too simplistic. You actually have to go tenths...100, 90, 80 etc... Where linear would be stepped matching percentage...Volume doubling would progress...100, 50, 25, 12.5, 6.25, 3.1125, 1.755, .855, .42555 and .21222.So at 1/10 volume...linear is 10 watts. Volume doubling is .21222.

eVoL

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Os
The room is 10ft x 22ft.

No sub right now, was going to pick up a 12inch sub on Friday. Currently using the Bose bass module from previous set up.

Thanks for the info on the differences.

Would you recommend upgrading to a better amp?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How is the Bose bass module connected? If you are using it...AVR->Bose->KlipschThat is likely the entire problem.The AVR you have now "should be plenty" given the efficiency of the speakers. But...more power is always a good thing.Besides, how loud you listen plays a part here. Trying to recreate a NIN concert?Furnishing make a difference. Hardwood vs carpet. Bare walls vs paintings/pictures. Overstuffed couch vs Amish wood.

eVoL

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Os
Well I am replacing all the Bose equipment with Klipsch. Right now I have the two RF82 as fronts and a RC62 as a center channel. Since I have no subs right now I have the Sub out on my amp still going to the Bose Bass module (2 x5 inch woofers). This will hopefully be removed on the weekend and replaced with a 12 inch sub. The Kilpsch go straight from the amp to the speaker, nothing is routed throught the Bose module.

I like watching my movies loud if this helps.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I was able to get ahold of a old Sony 5.1 amp to test with it has an rms of 100watts per channel,
You didn't include a model # for the Sony you tried. If it was truly a dedicated amp [as compared the the Yamaha which is an integrated receiver] then that likely explains your experience. The Sony is delivering a solid 100 WPC to every channel whereas the Yamaha is rated for 80 WPC into 6 ohms and with only 2 channels driven. By the time you factor in your 8 ohm speakers you're probably looking at maybe 50 WPC and much less if you're driving more than 2 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks