What's new

safe to these speakers (1 Viewer)

dredlock89

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
Hi i have a home theater that is rated for 6-16ohm speakers. the 8 inch 6 ohm subwoofer that came with it i dont overly like so i have to 10 inch subs both are 4 ohm subs iv wired them in series to make them run at 8 ohms. will these speakers be safe for the amp which is rated for no lower then 6 ohm speaker. from what i can remember as long as i go up in ohm it should be safe just wanted to maybe clarify. thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Connecting two powered speakers in series would sum the resistance as Sam already said. But most subs are line-level, not powered. What receiver are you using?

dredlock89

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
They are 2 unpowered speakers and its an onkyo htr290. My ohm meter reads them at8 ohms.

dredlock89

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
So there shouldn be much issue running the new subs as long as i dont drop them below 6ohm

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could hook up 100 of whatever this sub is. As long as the combined ohm load is over 6...(Just off work, eating some Guylian(???) chocolate and drinking some chocolate/cherry beer. But I think it would take 5 4ohm drivers to create 6ohm. 3 parallel and 2 parallel...then those two sets series. Unless I'm backwards...)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
You could hook up 100 of whatever this sub is. As long as the combined ohm load is over 6...(Just off work, eating some Guylian(???) chocolate and drinking some chocolate/cherry beer. But I think it would take 5 4ohm drivers to create 6ohm. 3 parallel and 2 parallel...then those two sets series. Unless I'm backwards...)
It would take 6. Parallel each pair for 2 ohms (4/2). Connect each pair in series for 6 ohms (2 + 2 + 2). Your math yields a 3.3333 ohm load. If that beer is good enough to mess up math, then I'd like to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks