What's new

Choosing a suitable receiver (1 Viewer)

GreatShogun

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie
Hey guys,
I'm a new user with limited experience in matching speakers to receivers. I have an old LG 5.1 system (HT503TH). The spealkers plug directly into a DVD player which is now quite outdated. I was hoping to reuse the speakers with a new receiver, but wasn't sure if this would be possible.
Here's the specs:

2x front speakers at 4 ohms each
1x centre speaker at 4 ohms
1x sub-woffer at 3 ohms
2x rear speakers with individual power supply, connected by a wireless box which wires into the DVD player.

My questions are basically: will the rear speakers even play out of a different brand receiver?
Will the 4 ohm speakers overload the system given there are no rear speakers to power as well?
If I'm out of luck, could anyone recommend a decent HTIAB system?

Thanks,
GreatShogun

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The problem using HTiB speakers...No the system was not 500w, 1000w...or whatever bullshit was on the box.Your system produced, at most, 15w per channel. Using them with a real receiver capable of 4ohm would end up being 10 times the power they were made to handle.But a real AVR and speakers. A4L has the Denon BA package for under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks