Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Choosing a suitable receiver

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   GreatShogun

GreatShogun

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a new user with limited experience in matching speakers to receivers. I have an old LG 5.1 system (HT503TH). The spealkers plug directly into a DVD player which is now quite outdated. I was hoping to reuse the speakers with a new receiver, but wasn't sure if this would be possible.

Here's the specs:

2x front speakers at 4 ohms each

1x centre speaker at 4 ohms

1x sub-woffer at 3 ohms

2x rear speakers with individual power supply, connected by a wireless box which wires into the DVD player.

My questions are basically: will the rear speakers even play out of a different brand receiver?

Will the 4 ohm speakers overload the system given there are no rear speakers to power as well?

If I'm out of luck, could anyone recommend a decent HTIAB system?

Thanks,

GreatShogun

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,776 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 14 2014 - 11:23 PM

The problem using HTiB speakers...No the system was not 500w, 1000w...or whatever bullshit was on the box.Your system produced, at most, 15w per channel. Using them with a real receiver capable of 4ohm would end up being 10 times the power they were made to handle.But a real AVR and speakers. A4L has the Denon BA package for under $300.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users