Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bob Hoskins has died at 71

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted April 30 2014 - 07:37 AM

(from my prep service... if they get mad I'll delete)

Bob Hoskins, the veteran British actor best-known to U.S. audiences for his roles in hit films including Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mermaids, has died of pneumonia at age 71. Hoskins' agent initially revealed news of the actor's death. 

A family statement Wednesday morning said, "Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia."

In August 2012, the BBC reported Hoskins had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and had consequently decided to retire from acting after more than 40 years.  Hoskins' final film role was in 2012's Snow White and the Huntsman.

Born October 26, 1942 to working-class parents in Bury St. Edmunds, England, about an hour northeast of London, Hoskins dropped out of school at age 15, working various jobs before turning to acting in his late twenties.  He found steady work in film and television both, his short but rugged stature and cocky sensibility earning him regular roles in both crime dramas and comedies.  His role as an ex-con working as a driver for a call girl in the 1986 drama Mona Lisa earned Hoskins widespread accolades, including the Golden Globe for best actor, and an Oscar nomination for same.

Yet it was his role as the tough-talking, 'toon-loving, on-the-skids private eye Eddie Valiant in 1988's Who Framed Roger Rabbit that brought Hoskins the most fame and notoriety.  The movie, which mixed live-action and animation, was an international smash hit, and garnered Hoskins a Golden Globe best actor nomination.  Two years later, he starred opposite Cher and Winona Ryder in the hit comedy-drama Mermaids.

Hoskins' prolific film, television and stage output continued until 2012, when he announced he'd been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and was retiring.  A statement from his agent reported at the time by the BBC said Hoskins "wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career."

Hoskins is survived by his wife and four children.

bob_hoskins_32372.jpg

One of my most fav actors of all time.  I first saw him in Brazil.  He was a reason to watch Mermaids (well, besides all the pretty girls lol). 

RIP Bob. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 474 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted April 30 2014 - 07:59 AM

R.I.P. Bob Hoskins, who always brought something to the party.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,068 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:04 AM

Sorry to hear. R.I.P.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:05 AM

So sad and unexpected, this has really blackened my day.

R.I.P. Bob.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#5 of 15 ONLINE   SAhmed

SAhmed

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:15 AM

Very sad to hear of Bob Hoskin's passing - I really liked him in everything that I saw him ( Mona Lisa, Long Good Friday, Who Framed Roger Rabbit etc... )

My deepest condolences to his family.

Regards,

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,311 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:33 AM

I literally just watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit yesterday for the first time in probably 20 years. I also remember his work in Hook, Nixon, Holllywoodland and an episode of Tales From The Crypt.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:18 AM

He was a great actor. 

R.I.P

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,814 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:29 AM

Roger Rabbit was the first time most US audiences had seen him play mainstream, since up to that point, he'd been typecast in the world of British gangland, from "The Long Good Friday".

As for character roles, he played a surprisingly good Winston Churchill against John Lithgow's FDR and Michael Caine's Stalin, in "When Lions Roared".

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:56 AM

I enjoyed him in The Cotton Club. His scene in the restroom with Fred Gwynne was terrific.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 30 2014 - 11:25 AM

Terrific tribute:

"Bob Hoskins died today and it is absolutely rubbish."

http://cinetropolis.... (Cinetropolis)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,096 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted April 30 2014 - 04:33 PM

FUCK.

One of the greats...and I hope he gets one hell of a spot in heaven as compensation for Super Mario Bros.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,096 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted April 30 2014 - 04:34 PM

Also, there was never an actor with a more perfect physique and temperament for headbutting -- wish he had shown that skill off in more movies.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 05:20 PM

POPULAR

The toons in Toontown are crying today. R.I.P Mr. Hoskins. You were one of the greats. Condolences to his family for their terrible loss.

• MatthewA, dana martin and SAhmed like this
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 30 2014 - 09:31 PM

and I just watched Royal Flash the other day, in that one moment on screen, he steals it, RIP Mr. Valiant, the case is closed

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,373 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 01 2014 - 04:24 AM

Also, there was never an actor with a more perfect physique and temperament for headbutting -- wish he had shown that skill off in more movies.

Or a better living embodiment of Smee from Peter Pan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users