What's new

Bob Hoskins has died at 71 (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
(from my prep service... if they get mad I'll delete)

Bob Hoskins, the veteran British actor best-known to U.S. audiences for his roles in hit films including Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mermaids, has died of pneumonia at age 71. Hoskins' agent initially revealed news of the actor's death.
A family statement Wednesday morning said, "Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia."
In August 2012, the BBC reported Hoskins had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and had consequently decided to retire from acting after more than 40 years. Hoskins' final film role was in 2012's Snow White and the Huntsman.
Born October 26, 1942 to working-class parents in Bury St. Edmunds, England, about an hour northeast of London, Hoskins dropped out of school at age 15, working various jobs before turning to acting in his late twenties. He found steady work in film and television both, his short but rugged stature and cocky sensibility earning him regular roles in both crime dramas and comedies. His role as an ex-con working as a driver for a call girl in the 1986 drama Mona Lisa earned Hoskins widespread accolades, including the Golden Globe for best actor, and an Oscar nomination for same.
Yet it was his role as the tough-talking, 'toon-loving, on-the-skids private eye Eddie Valiant in 1988's Who Framed Roger Rabbit that brought Hoskins the most fame and notoriety. The movie, which mixed live-action and animation, was an international smash hit, and garnered Hoskins a Golden Globe best actor nomination. Two years later, he starred opposite Cher and Winona Ryder in the hit comedy-drama Mermaids.
Hoskins' prolific film, television and stage output continued until 2012, when he announced he'd been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and was retiring. A statement from his agent reported at the time by the BBC said Hoskins "wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career."
Hoskins is survived by his wife and four children.

bob_hoskins_32372.jpg

One of my most fav actors of all time. I first saw him in Brazil. He was a reason to watch Mermaids (well, besides all the pretty girls lol).

RIP Bob.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Very sad to hear of Bob Hoskin's passing - I really liked him in everything that I saw him ( Mona Lisa, Long Good Friday, Who Framed Roger Rabbit etc... )My deepest condolences to his family.Regards,

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I literally just watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit yesterday for the first time in probably 20 years. I also remember his work in Hook, Nixon, Holllywoodland and an episode of Tales From The Crypt.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Roger Rabbit was the first time most US audiences had seen him play mainstream, since up to that point, he'd been typecast in the world of British gangland, from "The Long Good Friday".

As for character roles, he played a surprisingly good Winston Churchill against John Lithgow's FDR and Michael Caine's Stalin, in "When Lions Roared".

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I enjoyed him in The Cotton Club. His scene in the restroom with Fred Gwynne was terrific.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
and I just watched Royal Flash the other day, in that one moment on screen, he steals it, RIP Mr. Valiant, the case is closed

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Also, there was never an actor with a more perfect physique and temperament for headbutting -- wish he had shown that skill off in more movies.
Or a better living embodiment of Smee from Peter Pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks