THANK YOU, TWILIGHT TIME, FOR A MAN IN THE DARK

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 ONLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,153 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 10:53 AM

What a terrific example of early 3-D (so early that it is the only one of 65 3-D Blu's I own with a 1.33:1 ratio), on an exemplary disc!

Sharp, generally great contrast (except for some unfortunate rear-projection shots, such as the roller coaster chase), and with almost ghost-free viewing on my Panasonic.

Only caveat: Freeze-framing a few of the cooler 3-D pop-out shots, I was disappointed to see that non-removable time line rear its ugly head again. My understanding was that all releases as of January would not longer support this. In fairness, non of the other titles that came with that one did have a time line, so I assume this title was authored and replicated just before that new policy went into effect.

Other than that, Brave, Mr. Redman and Co.!

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#2 of 69 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 899 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 12:23 PM

Too bad the movie itself is a stinker...

• Keith Cobby likes this

#3 of 69 ONLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,153 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 01:07 PM

Too bad the movie itself is a stinker...

Yeah, well... can't have everything.

I thought it was okay. But as a part of my 3-D library, it's a keeper!

#4 of 69 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,463 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 01:09 PM

You don't own HOUSE OF WAX???

• pinknik likes this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#5 of 69 ONLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,153 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 07:30 PM

You don't own HOUSE OF WAX???

Well, Bob, don't know how I could have overlooked it... yes! I own HOUSE OF WAX, and it looks pretty decent on my Panny, but not quite as good as MAN IN THE DARK does. Probably the color vs. bw element. CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON looks great for me, too.

• Bob Furmanek likes this

#6 of 69 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,558 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 11:36 AM

I'm very happy to have Man In The Dark - I preordered it as soon as it was available to do so, and it was a lot of fun to watch the day it showed up at my doorstep.  I've said it before, but any classic 3D releases are instant buys for me!

#7 of 69 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,463 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 11:37 AM

POPULAR

Sony has finished 3-D masters of MISS SADIE THOMPSON and THE MAD MAGICIAN ready to go...

• Everett Stallings, Reed Grele, Josh Steinberg and 2 others like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#8 of 69 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 03 2014 - 11:50 AM

Sony has finished 3-D masters of MISS SADIE THOMPSON and THE MAD MAGICIAN ready to go...

To be released by Sony or Twilight Time?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#9 of 69 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,463 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 11:53 AM

So far as I know, there are no plans for release at this time. The masters have been done for a few years now. They're both available theatrically in DCP.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#10 of 69 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,252 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 03 2014 - 12:05 PM

POPULAR

Well, Bob, don't know how I could have overlooked it... yes! I own HOUSE OF WAX, and it looks pretty decent on my Panny, but not quite as good as MAN IN THE DARK does. Probably the color vs. bw element. CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON looks great for me, too.

Oh wow. IMHO, HOW is far better 3D than MITD. And it's a far better film. I was very disappointed with MITD. Creature is also far better, 3D and film-wise.

If the current 3D films were as dimensional as HOW, we might not be worrying about the success of 3D.
  • pinknik, FoxyMulder, Persianimmortal and 1 other like this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#11 of 69 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,558 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 12:27 PM

Now wouldn't that be something?  I saw The Mad Magician projected in dual-strip 35mm back in 2011, the print looked new, and it made for a really fun double-bill with "House of Wax" (with the Three Stooges short "Spooks" playing between the features).

#12 of 69 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 04 2014 - 12:18 AM

Oh wow. IMHO, HOW is far better 3D than MITD. And it's a far better film. I was very disappointed with MITD. Creature is also far better, 3D and film-wise.

If the current 3D films were as dimensional as HOW, we might not be worrying about the success of 3D.

Odd how the fifties classics, made without the aid of video assist, CGI or post production conversion, still manage to be better than most modern efforts.

• ahollis and FoxyMulder like this

#13 of 69 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:08 AM

It would be interesting to know how fast Man in the Dark is selling. I haven't bought it as I didn't like the film when I saw it some time ago. The Mad Magician is much better and would be a pre-order for me. Not sure about Miss Sadie Thompson though.

#14 of 69 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted April 04 2014 - 06:12 AM

Miss Sadie Thompson is a very good movie. IMHO, it's the best of the three versions of Somerset Maugham's Rain. Rita Hayworth really nails it as Sadie. They play a few things a little safe--it's never really clear she's a prostitute and Davidson is not a Reverand like he is in the story--but otherwise it's well worth getting. I would welcome a 3D Blu Ray of it.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#15 of 69 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,238 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 04 2014 - 06:28 AM

Me, too. Next to Kiss Me Kate, it's my next most prized 3D Blu-ray get.

• ahollis likes this

#16 of 69 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 04 2014 - 10:58 AM

Do they have the stereo tracks for MISS SADIE THOMPSON?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#17 of 69 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,463 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 11:14 AM

No, they are lost.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#18 of 69 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:32 PM

This is fantastic news.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#19 of 69 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:34 PM

It would be interesting to know how fast Man in the Dark is selling. I haven't bought it as I didn't like the film when I saw it some time ago. The Mad Magician is much better and would be a pre-order for me. Not sure about Miss Sadie Thompson though.

Both would be a buy for me. I love the 50's 3D films. There is just something about them that thrills me.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#20 of 69 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 04 2014 - 03:04 PM

Miss Sadie Thompson is a very good movie. IMHO, it's the best of the three versions of Somerset Maugham's Rain. Rita Hayworth really nails it as Sadie. They play a few things a little safe--it's never really clear she's a prostitute and Davidson is not a Reverand like he is in the story--but otherwise it's well worth getting. I would welcome a 3D Blu Ray of it.

Todd,

I agree that Hayworth got the "good-time gal" vibe right. Crawford played it tough as nails. However, I think Swanson got it just right. Not hampered by the Code, she was able to play the prostitute who actually enjoyed having a good time with her "buddies," and director/actor got a lot of mileage out of that. This also makes Reverend Davidson's hypocrisy and fate more powerful than in Hayworth's version.

Too bad the final reel had disintegrated by the time I saw it in 35mm at MoMA during the Walsh retrospective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users