What's new

3D THANK YOU, TWILIGHT TIME, FOR A MAN IN THE DARK (1 Viewer)

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I wonder if WB looks at their conversion of another musical, Wizard Of Oz, as well in regards to Kiss Me Kate. Hopefully that turned a profit with the cinema showings plus it was showcased in Walmart Best Buy and Target. A lot was spent to restore HOW because of lab damage. It was a solid investment in film history that should pay off in the long run if not already with worldwide sales.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I wonder if WB is considering releasing the 3-D KISS ME KATE through the Archive? Seems as though that would be a good compromise.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
While following sales of the Blob, I found posts mentioning going to TCM instead of Screen Archives. Decided to check their 3d titles..Man In The Dark is nowhere to be found..but still for sale at Screen Archive. Using the now defunct cart game, it was estimated to be around 1192 copies on January 22. Hopefully this means it's close to selling out so if you've been on the fence now seems to be the time!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
phillyrobt said:
Using the now defunct cart game, it was estimated to be around 1192 copies on January 22. Hopefully this means it's close to selling out so if you've been on the fence now seems to be the time!
I must admit I've been on the fence with this one. I've got all the other 1950s 3D Blu-rays (with DRAGONFLY SQUADRON on order) but MAN IN THE DARK just doesn't seem to be a very good film. Added to which is the high cost factor for those of us in the UK. I might bite the bullet when I know copies are close to zero :)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Douglas R said:
I must admit I've been on the fence with this one. I've got all the other 1950s 3D Blu-rays (with DRAGONFLY SQUADRON on order) but MAN IN THE DARK just doesn't seem to be a very good film. Added to which is the high cost factor for those of us in the UK. I might bite the bullet when I know copies are close to zero :)
It's not The Big Sleep but it's an enjoyable movie and the 3D is very good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Douglas R said:
StephenDH said:
It's not The Big Sleep but it's an enjoyable movie and the 3D is very good.
To put you more on the fence I found MITD to be a sub par film noire and the 3D less than impressive. The bit with the surgical instruments sucked and at no time was the 3D enough to make up for viewing a poor film. Definitely not worth the TT price. I've already sold mine.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Johnny Angell said:
To put you more on the fence I found MITD to be a sub par film noire and the 3D less than impressive. The bit with the surgical instruments sucked and at no time was the 3D enough to make up for viewing a poor film.Definitely not worth the TT price. I've already sold mine.
In your humble opinion.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I'd just like to say that when I saw this in 3d at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC in August, the almost capacity audience thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though it's in B&W and just over an hour, I value it as much as Dial M for Murder in that a good deal of it is shot outdoors and documents long gone places. It has comedic elements, a cute romantic element, gangsters and even a little sci-fi. I hope Twilight Time was rewarded for putting out this title!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Douglas R said:

I haven't had to wait until copies get close to zero, I've bitten on this thanks to TT's promotion offer :)

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, "Man In the Dark" is on sale. Screen archive is having a Twilight birthday sale on selected titles.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I purchased this disc during the (late Nov/early Dec) half-price sale.
It is a far better movie than any review would lead me to believe.
The 3D is really good,
and
all that talk about the background of the roller coaster not being in 3D is such overblown nonsense
(as it is only a few shots from 2 setups taken from a rider's point-of-view which work just fine). The entire roller coaster sequence is really exciting.
The enclosed notes erroneously repeat the myth that this film was shot in only 11 days, but such a minor error can be forgiven as the film looks so good!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Let's hope Twilight Time's forthcoming 3D bluray of Mad Magician (with a side of 3D Stooges shorts) sells at least as well, and that Universal's recent 3D bluray release of It Came from Outer Space also did at least as well, so that we can see more '50s 3D blus.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Let's hope Twilight Time's forthcoming 3D bluray of Mad Magician (with a side of 3D Stooges shorts) sells at least as well, and that Universal's recent 3D bluray release of It Came from Outer Space also did at least as well, so that we can see more '50s 3D blus.

Mad Magician should sell-out quicker than Man in the Dark. With Vincent Price, Mary Murphy, Eva Gabor and Patrick O'Neal starring and you also get the only two Three Stooges shorts filmed in 3-D as a bonus.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Mad Magician should sell-out quicker than Man in the Dark. With Vincent Price, Mary Murphy, Eva Gabor and Patrick O'Neal starring and you also get the only two Three Stooges shorts filmed in 3-D as a bonus.

Way more appeal than Man in the Dark!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks