What's new

3D THANK YOU, TWILIGHT TIME, FOR A MAN IN THE DARK (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Bob Furmanek said:
Sony has finished 3-D masters of MISS SADIE THOMPSON
That's outstanding news.
Let's hope that TT snaps Sadie Thompson up quick.

I agree with Matt that Sadie along with KISS ME KATE would pretty much fulfil my 3D want list.
These 2 titles and a desert island awaits. :3dglasses: (visitors stay away)

Doug.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
May I take a leaf out of Bill's slightly expanded wish list with some additions of my own.
Along with Bill's requests I would gladly pack up these titles for my 3D desert island experience.

"Sangaree"
"Son Of Sinbad"
"The French Line"
"Charge at Feather River"
"Inferno"
"Those Redheads From Seattle"

The sad reality is that I'm aware that several of those titles are never going to happen.
However, there's always hope.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Book me in right now for Kiss Me Kate, even though I don't have 3D playback.
At least they're sure to issue it with a good flat version as well ... and it, along with Dial M, are the perfect spur to make me think one day of taking the plunge .. .although I'd need both a new Oppo and new projector!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
AnthonyClarke said:
Book me in right now for Kiss Me Kate, even though I don't have 3D playback.
At least they're sure to issue it with a good flat version as well ... and it, along with Dial M, are the perfect spur to make me think one day of taking the plunge .. .although I'd need both a new Oppo and new projector!
There are a number of 3D projectors for less than $1,000.

Real Name
Bill
When (note my optimism) "Kiss Me Kate" is issued in 3D, I hope they don't neglect to include the little introductory bit at the front of the second act (where the cast throws stuff at the audience) that was eliminated in flat versions, but which the 2006 3D fest was able to get WB to print and include in the one they screened.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There were a number of changes for the 3-D version of KATE. Dick May found the footage and had it printed up in 2003. I had the pleasure of cutting the various shots into the existing 1953 dye-transfer 35mm left/right pair.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I've always felt 3D Kiss Me Kate was one of, if not, the best 3D movie of the 50's. Excellent production and performances all around with 3D taken into consideration on a level that seems to be missing in the planning of most native 3D movies produced today. They never "dialed back" the depth in certain scenes to please I don't know who......3D haters maybe. Anyway, I'm really hoping WB will come through and give us this one on blu-ray 3D as I think it's worth the effort.

GregK

Screenwriter
KISS ME KATE has always been in my top five 3-D movies from the 1950's, and one thing that became very apparent at the 1st world 3-D Film Expo in 2003 is while many of the 3-D "evergreens" from that time period continue to be classics artistically, technically, and remain quite entertaining, KATE easily was one of those few titles that has aged the best. At all three World 3-D Film Expos (2003, 2006, 2013) the audience always laughed and reacted in the all of the original director intended spots. And the 3-D aspect is well executed throughout for both the on and off stage performances in the feature. When Kathryn Grayson hurls the jug just before the intermission, it's always a natural for me to instinctively flinch when viewed on the big screen. It would be a true shame if this title didn't make it to the 3-D bluray format.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, because Warner Bros. no longer communicates with HTF, we'll not know if this is coming until it appears as a pre-order.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Dick said:
Well, because Warner Bros. no longer communicates with HTF, we'll not know if this is coming until it appears as a pre-order.
I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned somewhere that Kiss Me Kate would be WB next Blu-ray 3D from the 1950's.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
RolandL said:
I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned somewhere that Kiss Me Kate would be WB next Blu-ray 3D from the 1950's.
Hope you're right!

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I enjoyed watching this in 3D, otherwise the experience would have been very pedestrian, since the movie is very average.

However after watching this, as well as House of Wax and Creature From the Black Lagoon, I have noticed the difference in 3D effect on my eyes between movies of the 50's and today's movies. The older movies the 3D feels a little stronger, like I'm wearing prescription glasses. So it seems to be more taxing on the eyes. It's a different feel, and I like the change of pace, but I wouldn't want today movies to have that kind of 3D, or at least, as the norm.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Bob Furmanek said:
Only if HOUSE OF WAX did well...
And did it? I know most B&M outlets are sold-out. And in limited supply on-line (at premium prices to boot...even on Ebay!)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hopefully that counts -- I know House Of Wax was a Day 1 purchase for me, and it seems a lot of other people had that idea, because it's pretty much gone at this point. I wonder how many copies they pressed.. I wonder if it was more or less than, for example, a Twilight Time 3000 unit run.

I'll buy pretty much every vintage 3D thing on Blu-ray I can get my hands on, whether it's a blind buy or an old favorite. I'm not really doing many blind buys anymore, but classic 3D is one of the areas where I still would. Case in point, the titles Bob Furmanek has had a hand in preparing for Blu-ray 3D, I've never seen any of them, but sight unseen I know they're going to be worth it.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
With Age and a recently diagnosed health issue now starting to eat up time, there is one important Video experience on my Bucket list (if you must call it that) and that is to get to see "KISS ME KATE" in 3D one more time.
That's how I first saw it some 60 years ago, Polaroid glasses and all.

So I have been counting the days, hoping and praying that "KISS ME KATE" finds it's way onto a 3D Blu-ray in the not too distant future.
I'd gladly accept "Miss Sadie Thompson"in 3D as a consolation prize if the worse comes to the worse.

ps. I am truly looking forward, with excitement, to Bob's fascinating new 3D Blu-ray release. Hopefully it's nearly upon us.

Doug.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Funny enough, I just scored a copy of the Disney 3D Showcase disc with Working For Peanuts on it. A lot of fun, as virtually all classic 3D is. I'm hoping House of Wax did well enough to warrant Kiss Me Kate, but the lack of hearing anything about it worries me.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I'm up for any classic 3D that gets released. I'm not much of a fan of all the recent animated or CGI 3D Blu-rays, so my 3D shelf has lots of room for more 3D content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks