-

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• Please log in to reply
1813 replies to this topic

#1761 of 1814 BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted March 08 2014 - 04:13 PM

In the early days, the MPAA almost automatically gave a G to any reissue of a vintage film, even GONE WITH THE WIND and BEN-HUR. Those films are now being rated more "correctly." And yes, MAD would certainly get a PG today. As for OZ, I don't believe the 3-D had anything to do with the new rating; it was because it's a pretty scary film for young'uns. Ratings apply to content, not format.

Mike S.

I still think the parameters of the G rating have shrunk to the point where it's now only the most impossibly innocuous for the most hypersensitive. This December we'll see a movie about Paddington Bear. I can see it right now: PG for "some peril."  Geez. 

:B)

#1762 of 1814 cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 12:01 PM

POPULAR

I still think the parameters of the G rating have shrunk to the point where it's now only the most impossibly innocuous for the most hypersensitive. This December we'll see a movie about Paddington Bear. I can see it right now: PG for "some peril."  Geez. 

:B)

No kidding. I had a tagline ready for THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA: "So Terrifying It's Rated G!" But it came back with a PG for "brief mild language." I asked what was the "brief mild language." and the reply was--I'm not kidding--"jackass." (Which was addressed to the Skeleton, by the way.)

Mike S.

• Stephen_J_H, davidmatychuk and ROclockCK like this

#1763 of 1814 davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 366 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted March 17 2014 - 12:49 PM

No kidding. I had a tagline ready for THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA: "So Terrifying It's Rated G!" But it came back with a PG for "brief mild language." I asked what was the "brief mild language." and the reply was--I'm not kidding--"jackass." (Which was addressed to the Skeleton, by the way.)

Mike S.

Outstanding!

#1764 of 1814 BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted March 18 2014 - 03:47 AM

I rest my case.   

By the way, today is Edward Everett Horton's 128th birthday! Happy Birthday,. Mr. Dinkler!

• Eric Vedowski likes this

#1765 of 1814 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,493 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'm finally getting to watch the extended blu-ray after only having access to the DVD in the hospital. I am pleased.

#1766 of 1814 davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 366 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted March 24 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm finally getting to watch the extended blu-ray after only having access to the DVD in the hospital. I am pleased.

The healing power of laughter applied liberally!

#1767 of 1814 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,493 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 25 2014 - 05:02 PM

Even the DVD helped me out in January after I had been stuck in hospitals for over a month. That extended cut is something else. Next up, Something a Little Less Serious from the MGM/Fox blu-ray.

#1768 of 1814 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,493 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 28 2014 - 04:13 PM

I even watched the majority of the deleted scenes from the MGM blu-ray.. It was interesting how some were alternate takes.

#1769 of 1814 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 467 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 10:43 AM

The Egyptian will present a digital screening of Mad World tomorrow night Sun 3/30 at 730 pm in tribute to Mr. Caesar.

#1770 of 1814 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 467 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 10:45 AM

The Egyptian will present a digital screening of Mad World tomorrow night Sun 3/30 at 730 pm in tribute to Mr. Caesar.

so sorry, it's at the Aero

#1771 of 1814 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 06:55 AM

I can't believe I'm the first one to resurrect this thread  (from the fourth page!) to report this, but Mickey Rooney has died, which means that there is no one left from the main cast of IAMMMMW, i.e. the 14 treasure seekers. 

There are a few of the supporting cast left, including Carl Reiner, Barrie Chase, Marvin Kaplan, Stan Freberg and Nicholas Georgiade.

#1772 of 1814 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,695 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 07 2014 - 02:55 PM

I can't believe I'm the first one to resurrect this thread (from the fourth page!) to report this, but Mickey Rooney has died, which means that there is no one left from the main cast of IAMMMMW, i.e. the 14 treasure seekers.

There are a few of the supporting cast left, including Carl Reiner, Barrie Chase, Marvin Kaplan, Stan Freberg and Nicholas Georgiade.

When I heard the news this was the first thing that came to my mind. Not Andy Hardy or the Rooney/Garland musicals but IAMMMMW. Guess I will give it a spin tonight. Hope Mickey had a chance to see the Criterion disc
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#1773 of 1814 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,159 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 07 2014 - 03:04 PM

This was the first movie I thought of last night, too -- even though, oddly, I didn't think to come here, either.

• ahollis likes this

#1774 of 1814 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,210 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 07 2014 - 03:13 PM

It%27s+A+Mad+Mad+Mad+Mad+World+19.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#1775 of 1814 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,159 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 07 2014 - 03:14 PM

Yes indeed.

• ahollis likes this

#1776 of 1814 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 970 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted April 07 2014 - 06:37 PM

POPULAR

Mr. Rooney and all of the departed cast members of IAMMMMW will live forever in our hearts (and on my 2.76x1 screen from time to time.)

• Eric Vedowski, ahollis, ROclockCK and 1 other like this

#1777 of 1814 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted April 07 2014 - 07:51 PM

POPULAR

Among the many memorable bits in a movie crammed with them, it's always been the precision comic interplay between Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett (and Jim Backus) which comes to mind when I recall my favourite scenes. 

Stanley Kramer must have just wound these guys up, stood back, and let them go...no way could anyone micro-direct something that insanely inspired. 

R.I.P. Mr. Rooney

• Eric Vedowski, ahollis, classicmovieguy and 1 other like this

#1778 of 1814 Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 09:21 PM

Sad to think that both Mickey Rooney and Sid Caesar passed away within weeks of each other, but glad to know that Mickey was still in circulation until recently -- one can see pictures of him acting the goat with Bruce Willis and Don Rickles at the Vanity Fair Oscars party on March 2. That would have given him plenty of time to check out the Criterion set which hit the streets January 21 -- I'd bet he would have been very happy at what he saw and would have brought back many great memories.

Also -- both Mickey and Sid lived to their early 90s.....we should be so lucky! Making people laugh adds years to your life, so it seems.

Getting back to the movie's rating if it ever went back into theatres -- I think it would still keep it's G rating, but if it was ever converted to 3D (which would make a lot of sense and cents), it might get a PG rating for 'some scary scenes' or 'low impact violence' or 'reckless driving'.

#1779 of 1814 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted April 07 2014 - 09:36 PM

...or "rudely up-ended mother-in-law." ;)

• Brian McP likes this

#1780 of 1814 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 08 2014 - 07:26 AM

Sad to think that both Mickey Rooney and Sid Caesar passed away within weeks of each other, but glad to know that Mickey was still in circulation until recently -- one can see pictures of him acting the goat with Bruce Willis and Don Rickles at the Vanity Fair Oscars party on March 2. That would have given him plenty of time to check out the Criterion set which hit the streets January 21 -- I'd bet he would have been very happy at what he saw and would have brought back many great memories.

Also -- both Mickey and Sid lived to their early 90s.....we should be so lucky! Making people laugh adds years to your life, so it seems.

Getting back to the movie's rating if it ever went back into theatres -- I think it would still keep it's G rating, but if it was ever converted to 3D (which would make a lot of sense and cents), it might get a PG rating for 'some scary scenes' or 'low impact violence' or 'reckless driving'.

Unlike in the early 70s when something like "Airport" with its mild language, mild violence and talk about illegitimate pregnancies still got a G rating, today I think the mild language and general nasty tone would alone give it a PG, apart from the scary scenes, reckless driving, and don't forget the smoking and drinking.  It's actually hard to get a G today.

• BarryR likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users