What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (8 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stephen_J_H said:
RAH, in the early days of your research for restoring this film, you indicated that your dream package would include a SmileBoxed version of the film. What are your thoughts now?
Unnecessary, as the film was not photographed in actual Cinerama.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Between this, Khartoum, & Zulu all coming out at the same time in January, I'm going to be practically dead from excitement.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Can't imagine 2014 starting off on a more soaring note. It's sailin' right out there!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I am certainly glad the cat is out of the bag. I thought we would have to chip in for grief counseling for some of the people in the other thread :)

scott$L

Auditioning
The Cinerama Dome in Hollywood is screening Mad World on Oct. 27 for their 50th anniversary celebration. The info states: 154 min runtime, DIGITAL. Not sure where this digital version originated, but it would be nice if the 197 min. version could be shown! Mr. Harris?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Robert Harris said:
I believe you can now share some technical details of what you viewed during your visit. RAH
Well then I will do so when I can scrape together some time today. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The reconstructed Roadshow version is HD only, and as far as I know, is strictly Criterion.

RAH

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'm looking forward to the inevitable "A Few Words About..." thread. I hope it starts sooner rather than later.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm happy for everyone here. I've never seen this film before, and honestly don't know if it's my cup of tea. But considering the love it gets from these boards and the terrific job Criterion and everyone seems to have done, I'll be sure to pick it up. :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
darkrock17 said:
197 mins? I thought it was only 192 as that was the Nov. 7 1963 premiere.
I believe its 192 without music. With music the time is 201, so this release will be just about 3 minutes off the full, complete, original roadshow edit.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Harris said:
Aspect ratio for both is 2.76:1.Radio calls are included, as well as some trims and entire sequences that haven't been seen since the film was re-cut.Running time is approx. 197:40.RAH
Thank you. Knowing of your involvement with the many people at Criterion and others that were involved it is also a major plus. There are many people that need to be thanked and I'm sure all of us here do. Their love and appreciation of this film is what got us here today and also on January 21st. They have my thanks too.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
TCM should air this version on Nov. 7th or near the week of the 7th for the 50th Anniversary like they back in 2003 for the 40th Anniversary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks