What's new

Technical problem with the player ? (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I seem to have this problem with my James Bond Blu Ray set. The later films all seem to have audio drop offs for 10-30 seconds, sometimes one time, sometimes multiple times.
I tried one Bond Blu Ray movie that froze using another Blu Ray disc of the same title to see what would happen and the same thing happened.
I think its a player issue. It plays everything else that I put in it, DVDs Blu Rays but only the Bond discs are troubling me...I was wondering why this was
1)Are the Bond Blu Rays BD-50s and not compatible with the player?
2)Are they mastered in 4K making them incompatible ?
3)I did update the firmware - and the problems have been happening since. I was going to play a Bond disc and had a message on the screen cannot play until you get the latest update type of message.
I called the manufacturer which is Samsung - I have the BD D5300 and they dont have an answer. I have asked around but Id like multiple thoughts and see what I get...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi David!

Definitely sounds like something is up with your D5300. Read some reviews
of it over on Amazon. Not a well rated mode, though users cite other problems
than you appear to be having.

Yes, those BD-50 discs should be compatible with any player. You did the right
thing by upgrading the firmware as that can generally fix any playback problems.

I don't have a more direct answer for you at the moment. Hoping other members
can chime in.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Me too Im hoping to get some feedback. The problems happened after the firmware upgrade...so I told Samsung that they need to make another firmwar upgrade. They told me to test the movie on another blu ray player and also did the troubleshooting with them. They have no clue ! :)
This is my first ever blu ray player and is two years old...
I am considering getting a new one since prices have dropped on them..I just need something that plays, which this does except for the Bond movies....

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Players in general aren't as robust as they used to be. We just retired a 12 year old Sony DVP-S 550 dvd player that never gave a lick of trouble because the tv it was connected to was upgraded to an HD set. I don't expect the panny BD player in it's place to last anywhere near as long. On the other hand that Sony cost $499 back in 1999 while the Panny BD player was $80 at Costco.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Steve Schaffer said:
Players in general aren't as robust as they used to be. We just retired a 12 year old Sony DVP-S 550 dvd player that never gave a lick of trouble because the tv it was connected to was upgraded to an HD set. I don't expect the panny BD player in it's place to last anywhere near as long. On the other hand that Sony cost $499 back in 1999 while the Panny BD player was $80 at Costco.
Correction (can't find an "edit" button)--that Sony was 14 years old.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wanted to mention I have since replaced the Samsung with a Sony Blu Ray (top of their line for Region A)
Ill give the Samsung to my wife when we get another HD TV for her room.
The Sony works great, but sometimes I put the discs in and nothing happens, so I have to eject it and do it a second time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks