What's new

Let's help our friend at Hollywood Elsewhere with his Oppo sync problem (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Jeffrey Wells, who maintains the very entertaining "Hollywood Elsewhere" blog, is having sync issues with his Oppo Blu-Ray player. He is frustrated. We can help. Here's his post, from an hour ago:

Samsung/Oppo Sound Problems
I noticed a month or so ago that the sound is a half-second late when I’m watching region-one Blurays. That’s the fault of either (a) my Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player or (b) the sound settings on my Samsung 60″ plasma or (c) the Samsung sound bar, which has an AV synch button that allows you to toggle forward or backward. An Oppo tech guy told me I can’t just reset the sound — I have to reset the whole player, which means recalibrating all the settings. He said that before that happens I might want to fiddle around with the sound bar synch button, and so I did. This caused an infuriating sound echo effect that I can’t rid of. I became so furious at the Oppo guy and the Big Sleep Bluray and Humphrey Bogart and…you know, life in general that I started calling around for a tech guy who could come in and fix/restore everything. Yes, this is analogous to calling AAA to change a flat tire. Yes, I just want it to stop. This situation has consumed more than three hours of my time, and the problem is nowhere close to being solved.

Mr. Wells has been outspoken about some other home video matters in a way that has rubbed some Home Theatre Forum people the wrong way, but he's entitled to his opinion, and indifference is the real enemy anyhow, isn't it? And besides, he was entertaining about it. Let's help a fellow home video buff with his technical issue!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Good that you helped him, but I won't visit his site again. I don't really appreciate being called a 'fascist' by the likes of him again and again.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I can't say I understand "click bait" as a concept, and it certainly isn't something that Home Theatre Forum deals in (or needs to deal in), but I like a lot of what I read in Mr. Wells' blog and I appreciate his real passion for movies. As for his thing about "aspect ratio fascists", I'm pretty sure it's just typical Internet hyperbole, and nothing personal.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I can't say I understand "click bait" as a concept, and it certainly isn't something that Home Theatre Forum deals in (or needs to deal in), but I like a lot of what I read in Mr. Wells' blog and I appreciate his real passion for movies. As for his thing about "aspect ratio fascists", I'm pretty sure it's just typical Internet hyperbole, and nothing personal.

I imagine it is just hyperbole, but "fascist" gets read as "Nazi" in these contexts, and both terms have connotations that don't belong in discussions of a hobby. Something like "aspect ratio absolutists" would get the point across without offending anyone. (Except for those fascists who don't believe in absolutes!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks