• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#81 of 213 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,080 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 18 2013 - 03:09 PM

For the naysayers: this was a hugely popular hit movie in its day. Maltin's rating (if you mostly tend to agree with him) gives it *** 1/2. God, even Pauline Kael loved it <http://books.google....oliver!&f=false>. It has not dated, as it was a period film to start with. What's not to like about this film?

Then came the eventual laser disc and DVD releases, and disappointment set in big-time. The PQ and sound were merely mediocre.

Now comes news of the TT release. I couldn't be happier. Thank you Sony, thank you TT (I know it will look stellar!). 

Roger Ebert gave it four stars.

Oliver! Review by Roger Ebert

Rich Gallagher

#82 of 213 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 03:54 AM

Oliver! gets a blu ray release in the UK around October 21st.

I do hope Columbia do a good job on this landmark musical.

I assume Twlight Time will be releasing around the same time in the USA......

Will this come from a 70mm source or was Oliver! blown up for 70mm ,cant remember....

#83 of 213 OFFLINE   Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 04:12 AM

Link?

Edited by Noach Kowalski, May 02 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#84 of 213 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 02 2013 - 04:45 AM

I do hope Columbia do a good job on this landmark musical.

I assume Twlight Time will be releasing around the same time in the USA......

Will this come from a 70mm source or was Oliver! blown up for 70mm ,cant remember....

Oliver was a blow-up from Panavision.

#85 of 213 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 05:56 AM

And that's perfectly fine. I'm just talking in generalities and not on behalf of every specific person's tastes. Truth is that Oliver! is usually on many of those "Worst Best Picture Winners" lists next to The Greatest Show on Earth and Cimarron.

On another board, I ran a series of polls meant to pick the worst BP winner - "Oliver!" made the final nine.  (We eliminated five in that round - it didn't go to the final four.)

In my poll, the final was between "Crash" and "Broadway Melody", with a "win: for "Crash".

Which in my mind means that "Broadway Melody" is probably the choice as worst of all.  It's gonna get fewer votes than "Crash" because so many fewer people today have seen it - but it STILL almost "won" the poll!

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#86 of 213 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 05:59 AM

The Greatest Show On Earth is good colourful fun (I'd buy a Blu in a shot), but a candidate for best film; I don't think so.

It's an attractively-shot film, but that's about all I can say good for it:

http://www.dvdmg.com...owonearth.shtml

Colin Jacobson

#87 of 213 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,283 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 06:09 AM

In the UK the DVD was released by Sony.  It'll certainly be interesting to see the details here.  Does the UK version look the same as the US one?  Is it region locked?  Etc.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#88 of 213 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,015 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 02 2013 - 11:24 AM

Sony IS Columbia.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#89 of 213 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 12:51 PM

I simply feel that NO Best Picture should be at risk of being OOP immediately.    (or even after a couple of months).    

There is no rational business case for Limited Editions.   Small initial pressings, sure.    But any business plan that has built-in un-met demand is a bad plan.   Because of Sony's marketing division's prowess and decision-making, Christine is NOT available on Blu-Ray,  Night Of The Living Dead is NOT available on Blu-Ray, Fright Night is NOT available on Blu-Ray.

I don't think this should ever be part of the conversation for a Best Picture Winner (regardless of how poorly some list-maker feels).    And over the past few days I've looked at some of these lists and the films that are lumped in with Oliver at the 'bottom' - How Green Was My Valley, The Sound Of Music, Titanic, Rocky, Forrest Gump, and Gigi.

David

How could one place How Green Was My Valley on the worst Best Picture winners list? Just because it beat Citizen Kane? Of course not! TitanicGigiOliver, and Around the World in 80 Days are among the most undeserving winners which I have seen.

Edit: I haven't seen any of the winners Pre-1933, so ones like Broadway Melody and Cimarron could be on my list when I get around to seeing them.

Edited by Lromero1396, May 02 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#90 of 213 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,310 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 02 2013 - 12:56 PM

Film historian Richard Barrios gives a superb defense of Broadway Melody (the first sound film to win Best Picture) as a worthy Best Picture winner in his fantastic and fascinating book A Song in the Dark.

• ahollis likes this

#91 of 213 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:40 PM

Film historian Richard Barrios gives a superb defense of Broadway Melody (the first sound film to win Best Picture) as a worthy Best Picture winner in his fantastic and fascinating book A Song in the Dark.

Given his totally incompetent commentary track on South Pacific, I am pleased to note he has managed  to do something properly.

Edited by john a hunter, May 03 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#92 of 213 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 05:32 AM

He can defend it all he wants - it's still a terrible movie! :lol:

Colin Jacobson

#93 of 213 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,283 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 05:58 AM

Sony IS Columbia.

Yes, I know.  I wasn't disputing that - I was wondering about how the Sony/Columbia (UK) release would look compared top the TT (US) release.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#94 of 213 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 03 2013 - 11:45 AM

Yes, I know.  I wasn't disputing that - I was wondering about how the Sony/Columbia (UK) release would look compared top the TT (US) release.

Steve W

It's likely that both releases will feature the same 4k restoration/transfer from Grover Crisp...Sony doesn't do anything half-assed with their catalog crown jewels...

#95 of 213 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'm not sure that Sony/Columbia view this as one of their 'catalog crown jewels'.   If they did, you would think they would release it themselves instead of licensing it out.

• Techman707 likes this

#96 of 213 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 03 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm not sure that Sony/Columbia view this as one of their 'catalog crown jewels'.   If they did, you would think they would release it themselves instead of licensing it out.

It's Sony's video marketing department that's clueless.   The folks in asset protection certainly regard this as a  "crown jewel".

#97 of 213 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 03:11 PM

Oliver is the one film that I attempted to watch several times

over since it was first released on Laserdisc.  Each time I would

get to a certain point in the film and just find myself.....bored. 

No joke...last year I challenged myself to watch the film in its

entirety.  I locked myself in my home theater, put in the DVD and

actually forced myself to watch the entire film.

In the end...it wasn't as bad as I had remembered it to be, but

it definitely still felt like a bit of a struggle to sit through it all. I think

the first part of the film is pretty good, but once Oliver Reed becomes

the focal point in the second half, it just falls apart for me.  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#98 of 213 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 03 2013 - 03:28 PM

Oliver is the one film that I attempted to watch several times

over since it was first released on Laserdisc.  Each time I would

get to a certain point in the film and just find myself.....bored. 

No joke...last year I challenged myself to watch the film in its

entirety.  I locked myself in my home theater, put in the DVD and

actually forced myself to watch the entire film.

In the end...it wasn't as bad as I had remembered it to be, but

it definitely still felt like a bit of a struggle to sit through it all. I think

the first part of the film is pretty good, but once Oliver Reed becomes

the focal point in the second half, it just falls apart for me.  

It takes a particular frame of mind to watch this movie...remember that it's literally a Dickens novel set to music!!! Definitely an acquired taste like the Albert Finney musical movie "Scrooge", which is an adaptation of "A Christmas Carol"...all of his books that have been adapted to film are challenges to both the mind and the heart...some make the transition more successfully than others!!!

#99 of 213 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 04:28 PM

It takes a particular frame of mind to watch this movie...remember that it's literally a Dickens novel set to music!!! Definitely an acquired taste like the Albert Finney musical movie "Scrooge", which is an adaptation of "A Christmas Carol"...all of his books that have been adapted to film are challenges to both the mind and the heart...some make the transition more successfully than others!!!

I can enjoy Muppets singing songs in an adapted Dickens work, so it's not the notion of Dickens made into musicals that's the issue for me.  The issue is that "Oliver!" is overly long and goopy! :)

• lukejosephchung likes this
Colin Jacobson

#100 of 213 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 07:00 PM

As I have stated before, I adore this movie, and am looking forward to the release.  I see from perusing the thread that people have very strong feelings about the film, but nobody is on the fence.  Well, to each his own.  (I am the one person alive who has no desire to watch Star Wars, so.....)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures, Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users