Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help Needed

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 HarpoM

HarpoM

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:16 AM

Hi. I'm new to this forum and I hope you can answer a question for me. I want to connect my computer to my Pioneer Stereo Receiver. As I have it connected now, I have an HDMI cable from the back of my computer to the HDMI port on the receiver. I can view the display from my computer on my television, but there is no sound. Currently I have to use desktop computer speakers to hear sound. I purchased an rca to 8mm cable thinking I could get audio that way. After plugging in the rca to all ports on the receiver, I still get no sound. Can someone point me in the right direction? My receiver is a Pioneer VSX - 521 I'm at a loss

#2 of 9 NickSI

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:25 AM

I'm not familiar with this exact receiver but typically they don't like to mix analogue (RCA) with digital (HDMI) signals. like HDMI video and RCA audio... there could be a setting for each input on what to use? Make sure the RCA is plugged into the same named input as the HDMI for a start.
Ciao

(if there is a $200 reciever or integrated amp in your basement collecting dust or even in your living room collecting dust lemme know ill take it off your hands)

#3 of 9 HarpoM

HarpoM

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:31 AM

I think there is a setting on my computer that I need to make. I thought that by connecting the HDMI to the receiver, I would get sound, but I only get video. I don't think the model of the receiver matters much. Do you think I need to make a change on my computer?

#4 of 9 HarpoM

HarpoM

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:42 AM

On attachment one is my sound configuration. It shows no HDMI configuration option. I went online, and I should see what I am attaching in the second attachment. Is this where I should look? [ATTACHMENT=488][ATTACHMENT=489]Document1.rtf (4,727k. rtf file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT] I have a feeling I need to make an adjustment on my computer as I thought HDMI was for audio and video?

#5 of 9 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,656 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:44 AM

I don't really know anything about computers or how they interact ith receivers but there is one thing to check on the receiver. Go into the Audio Parameters menu (there's a button on the remote) and scroll down to HDMI and make sure AMP is selected and not Through. Amp should be the default setting but sometimes things get changed.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 9 HarpoM

HarpoM

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:54 AM

well, I'm a dolt. I do not have HDMI to HDMI. I have a DVI to HDMI cable running to my receiver, which is probably why I don't have sound. Looks like I'll need to buy an HDMI card and a new cable. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your replies

#7 of 9 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,656 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 10 2013 - 07:08 AM

As long as you figured it out, that's all that matters.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#8 of 9 NickSI

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 02:46 AM

Careful when you purchase the HDMI card. HDMI is capable of sound and video but it can be for just video. For example if you have a video card with HDMI out it will probably not output sound as well. Make sure it will do both.
Ciao

(if there is a $200 reciever or integrated amp in your basement collecting dust or even in your living room collecting dust lemme know ill take it off your hands)

#9 of 9 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,655 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 11 2013 - 03:51 AM

If your computer has a mini-toslink, you can use this... http://www.amazon.co...vi-toslink hdmi And with your present situation...you can use this, if the computer doesn't have mini-toslink... http://www.amazon.co...dvi-analog hdmi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users