What's new

Help Needed (1 Viewer)

HarpoM

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Hi. I'm new to this forum and I hope you can answer a question for me. I want to connect my computer to my Pioneer Stereo Receiver. As I have it connected now, I have an HDMI cable from the back of my computer to the HDMI port on the receiver. I can view the display from my computer on my television, but there is no sound. Currently I have to use desktop computer speakers to hear sound. I purchased an rca to 8mm cable thinking I could get audio that way. After plugging in the rca to all ports on the receiver, I still get no sound. Can someone point me in the right direction? My receiver is a Pioneer VSX - 521 I'm at a loss

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not familiar with this exact receiver but typically they don't like to mix analogue (RCA) with digital (HDMI) signals. like HDMI video and RCA audio... there could be a setting for each input on what to use? Make sure the RCA is plugged into the same named input as the HDMI for a start.

HarpoM

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
I think there is a setting on my computer that I need to make. I thought that by connecting the HDMI to the receiver, I would get sound, but I only get video. I don't think the model of the receiver matters much. Do you think I need to make a change on my computer?

HarpoM

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
On attachment one is my sound configuration. It shows no HDMI configuration option. I went online, and I should see what I am attaching in the second attachment. Is this where I should look? [ATTACHMENT=488][ATTACHMENT=489]Document1.rtf (4,727k. rtf file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT] I have a feeling I need to make an adjustment on my computer as I thought HDMI was for audio and video?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't really know anything about computers or how they interact ith receivers but there is one thing to check on the receiver. Go into the Audio Parameters menu (there's a button on the remote) and scroll down to HDMI and make sure AMP is selected and not Through. Amp should be the default setting but sometimes things get changed.

HarpoM

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
well, I'm a dolt. I do not have HDMI to HDMI. I have a DVI to HDMI cable running to my receiver, which is probably why I don't have sound. Looks like I'll need to buy an HDMI card and a new cable. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your replies

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Careful when you purchase the HDMI card. HDMI is capable of sound and video but it can be for just video. For example if you have a video card with HDMI out it will probably not output sound as well. Make sure it will do both.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If your computer has a mini-toslink, you can use this... http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Digital-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0038XNTWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363017004&sr=1-1&keywords=dvi-toslink+hdmi And with your present situation...you can use this, if the computer doesn't have mini-toslink... http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Inserter-Embedder-Converter-SPECIALTY-AV/dp/B005PRDN9S/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363017094&sr=1-3&keywords=dvi-analog+hdmi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks