Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sorting movies by genre

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   weezypenguin

weezypenguin

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:40 PM

I just wondered if anyone knew of some software that can scan a hardrive full of movies and then catagorize into genre etc and mobe into a windows folder structure? I have quite a lot so want to ease the burden on my server.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   gartronics

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:39 AM

I know of cataloging software but I don't think there is anything that does what you are asking. You are probably gonna have to do it manually. Make folders of the specific genres and copy movies to the appropriate one. It will probably take a while to do this but It will be worth it. unless someone else knows of software that does it. obviously that would be better.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,184 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:04 PM

What I've read, it's discouraged to sort media by genre at the file level. Better to let the UI do the display transformations (sort by year, genre, alphabetical, etc. ) Also, looking at MediaBrowser recently, it looks like it can deal with multiple drives and folders and display them as a unified folder. So you can break your stuff however you need across drives and not worry about having it sorted at the file level. Finally, you might ask this in the HTPC section, and get some more input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users