What's new

Transferring Files From Old Main OS SSD To New OS SSD (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Recently, I’ve ordered a Kuesuny 480GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD SATA Drive to replace my existing Main Drive 240 GB Kingston SSD, which recently reached 0% Health Status and can no longer have a Read/Fix CHKDSK scan performed.

Screenshot (255).png

As I have files on the Kingston SSD (Which has the Windows 10 OS!) that I’ll want to keep, I need to ensure they are accessible for File Transfer to my new drive, post Windows 10 installation, and not password locked. Would relocating them from my named folder to the Public folder within the OS ensure this? The new SSD includes a USB adapter for external drive use. It should hopefully be delivered by this Thursday.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12-40-49 Kuesuny 480GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD SATA III 6 Gb_s R_W...png

CHEERS! :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm Windows ignorant, but I suspect the proper transfer process is similar to Mac, using an app intended for that purpose. I suspect just transferring everything like regular files won't work.

So, with Mac at least, you connect the new drive to the SATA/USB cable and run the backup software, to transfer everything from the current boot drive. Then you'd replace the existing boot drive with the new one.

BTW, on a slightly separate topic, I take it this means you don't back up your drive already. That's asking for trouble.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm Windows ignorant, but I suspect the proper transfer process is similar to Mac, using an app intended for that purpose. I suspect just transferring everything like regular files won't work.

So, with Mac at least, you connect the new drive to the SATA/USB cable and run the backup software, to transfer everything from the current boot drive. Then you'd replace the existing boot drive with the new one.

BTW, on a slightly separate topic, I take it this means you don't back up your drive already. That's asking for trouble.
The most crucial stuff is backed up. I don't have endless hard drive space or the $$ to pay for cloud services. I do my best with what I have.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, I'm pretty upset right now!

This afternoon, my Kuesuny "solid state drive" (?) arrives.

The reason for the air quotes is I highly suspect I was sent a dummy drive and dummy USB adapter, and here's why. First, I used the USB adapter that came with the Kuesuny drive to plug it in externally. It wouldn't read. I swapped it out with the Kingston SSD in my laptop. No bootable drive was detected. I even tried using a different USB adapter that I know works. It wouldn't read on my PC. I also tried the USB adapter that came with the Kuesuny SSD on a hard drive that I know works. That wouldn't read on my PC, either.

Now, I'm going to have to go through the pain of returning the dummy drive and wait for the refund to be applied before I can order another one and hope to hell my Kingston SSD doesn't fail before then.:(

UPDATE: I did attempt the Disk Management method. The Kuesuny SSD doesn't display there, WITH their included USB adapter.
Screenshot (284).png

However, when I used my old USB hard drive adapter, the Kuesuny ssd DID display, as can be seen below. It's the Disk 1 447.13 GB Unallocated drive:
Screenshot (287).png

Sorry for the false alarm!

CHEERS!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
What a difference a day makes!

This afternoon and evening, I've been (mostly) nicely been getting setup with my new Kuesuny 480 GB Solid State Drive, getting Windows 10 installed, while slowing getting everything else back up and installed!

Just a few minutes ago, I saw a Facebook memory from 5 years ago today (February 28, 2019), in which I posted photos of....you may have guessed it? Installing my then new 240 GB Kingston Solid State Drive!
😂
🤣
🤣
🤣

From Today (February 28th, 2024):
423422712_1816311272187667_3858193653410411332_n(1).jpg

423541629_7027275383988986_4379865167151269916_n.jpg

From 5 Years Ago Today (February 28th, 2019):
52911812_10156051521100933_1083360377489588224_n.jpg

53397804_10156051524345933_4195942792016429056_n.jpg

P.S. Moving my files on the old Kingston SSD to the public folders in my Windows worked just as I hoped it would, although I can also access my Anthony Bensley Folder (Albeit, much more slowly, at least initially!).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Glad it worked out.
Thank you, John! It's much appreciated. :)

Actually, things took an unexpectedly pleasant turn for me this evening when I called Amazon.ca regarding the SATA/USB adapter, which turned out to be defective. I'm being given a full refund AND can keep my new Kuesuny 480 GB SSD, which I definitely do not want to return! Some of that will definitely be going towards a (hopefully!) functioning SATA/USB adapter, but I do suspect I may have a little bit to spare for one or two other things! ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
WARNING!!!! EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING PC RELATED POST AHEAD!!!!

As I had recently noticed my old Kingston 240 GB SSD drive was showing signs of failing, I ordered a new SSD drive, this one a Kuesuny 480 GB SSD, which also included a SATA/USB adapter. My thought was, great, I can potentially use this in transferring files from my old drive externally to a newly installed in my PC drive!

To try to make a long convoluted story fairly short, a few days after having installed my new drive and receiving a different 3.0 SATA/USB adapter (The other one was defective!), I discovered my old Kingston drive would not read with the new adapter attached, despite it reading on my older 2.0 SATA/USB adapter setup. However, any attempt to transfer files from my Download folder was painfully slow!

Then late yesterday, I had the “bright” idea of swapping out the newly installed in PC drive with the old one (Both set up for Windows 10) for my PC, as I knew it was functioning in that setup! Sure enough, it was functioning, at least to some extent, though the signs of failure were by this time painfully obvious to me. Still, by doing copy/paste, I was able to transfer files over to my new drive, with a few minor exceptions. Or, so it appeared!

As I was deleting files on my old drive once they were “transferred” over, in a few of the folders, I was getting corrupt files alerts, which denied further access. That probably should have been a warning!

Anyway, I subsequently swapped the drives back, with my newly installed Kuesuny 480 GB SDD back in my PC Laptop. That’s when the “fun” really started!

For starters, my PC kicked into Driver error/diagnostic/repair mode. While the exact details are a bit of a blur, after what seemed like an eternity, but in reality was maybe 10 to 15 minutes, I was able to get back into Windows.

However, much to my chagrin, NONE of the files I had “transferred” over to my new Kuesuny SSD during my drive swap were present on this same drive! The real tell tale sign was the spare space on my new SSD was over 100 GB more than had just previously been displayed! My 1st thought was “What in the hell happened?” Was it because my drive was already failing? Did something in the “Device Driver” diagnostic repair somehow wipe them out? All I know is they are GONE!!!!

Much as the above sucks, I can live with that. If only this were the ONLY issue!

Now, some of my apps throw me a “Security Warning – Unknown Publisher” dialog box (IE. Leawo; Google Chrome.) whenever I click to enter them, though I still can enter them. Others, such as Microsoft Weather crashes while it’s opening, and Messenger won’t open at all! All this subsequent to my ultimately failed attempt to transfer files by swapping out my Windows 10 loaded Solid State Drives, UGH!!

So far, I did perform a sfc /scannow in a failed attempt to repair my apparent registry issue:

This has not been a good day, so far.

CHEERS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks