Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Community Season 4

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 of 140 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted February 08 2013 - 01:13 AM

That was not good, and that's being nice. I really wanted to turn it off, and that's a first as a day one Community fan.

Same here. Even the worst Community episodes make me laugh a few times. I didn't laugh once during this one.

#42 of 140 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,597 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 02:15 AM

Next weeks episode is a Halloween episode in which the gang visits Pierce's haunted mansion.

all-banner.jpg

#43 of 140 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,317 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:44 AM

Early ratings say that this episode was up very slightly from last season's premiere. Not that that's a good number but NBC has been doing even more terrible than normal lately so those numbers might actually be good enough to get a renewal.

#44 of 140 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,597 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 06:13 PM

It's going to be weird watching the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes out of season.

all-banner.jpg

#45 of 140 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:16 PM

The whole Hunger Games "parody" was a huge fail and considering that was half the show, it didn't leave much room for error in the rest. There were a few hits in the rest (Blond & The Blind), but not many. Even the laugh track felt forced, and was more annoying than funny.

#46 of 140 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 01:45 PM

Enjoyed this much more than I did the premiere last week. No idea if that's because my expectations were lowered after last week though.

#47 of 140 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,597 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:32 PM

The "Paranomal Parentage" episode was way much better than last weeks episode. I don't think it had anything to do with lowered expectations. It was just a better episode. Next weeks episode has the gang going to
Spoiler

all-banner.jpg

#48 of 140 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 08:05 PM

I kind of struggled with it, it felt flat. Perhaps I expected it to be bad after last week. Maybe I'll watch it again.

I did enjoy Calvin and Hobbes, tho.

#49 of 140 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 12:52 AM

Last week seemed like a swing and a miss episode from season 3. Last's night's was... it was awful. 99% of the jokes fell totally flat. I smiled at the Calvin and Hobbes outfit, but that was about it. My wife chuckled exactly once, and she doesn't know about the whole Dan Harmon thing. I'm observing her reactions as an experiment to see if that knowledge affects the perception of the show. Hunger Deans made me wonder about that, but Paranormal Parentage was like a Saved By the Bell episode with no laugh track.

"I remember when this show used to be about a community college".

#50 of 140 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 03:33 AM

I thought it was a good episode.  I laughed out loud at a number of gags, and I thought the timing and rhythm of the delivery was the same as in previous seasons (e.g. the exchanges between Troy and Shirley).

Quite frankly, I believe that if Harmon et al released a statement saying all the drama was a ruse, and really nothing has changed (i.e. he's still running the show), a *lot* of people on the internet would suddenly decide the first two episodes were great.

#51 of 140 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,317 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 15 2013 - 04:30 AM

...I thought the timing and rhythm of the delivery was the same as in previous seasons (e.g. the exchanges between Troy and Shirley).

I think the cast is a big chunk of what makes a show- especially a sitcom- work. I'm not trying to diminish the writer (if ain't the page, it ain't on the stage) but whoever the writers are, the cast is a big part of what makes this show enjoyable and since they're the same, alot of worked about the show is still there.

Quite frankly, I believe that if Harmon et al released a statement saying all the drama was a ruse, and really nothing has changed (i.e. he's still running the show), a *lot* of people on the internet would suddenly decide the first two episodes were great.

There is such a thing as too much information. I try to not let behind the scenes junk influence my opinion and while I don't think these two episodes were great, I don't think they were that bad either.

#52 of 140 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 04:32 AM

The first episode was terrible regardless of the behind the scenes drama. It was a total swing and miss. The second was certainly better, but I can't say it left me confident about the rest of the season.

#53 of 140 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 15 2013 - 04:38 AM

I thought the first episode was fine...and a welcome return to our characters. But, last night? Terrible. Terrible for a normal episode! But, a Halloween episode? With a tradition of being outrageous and quite funny? Not a happy night.

#54 of 140 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,643 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:33 AM

Last night was better than last week's premiere. It felt more back to form, though something remains a little off. Maybe it's the whole Troy-Britta thing, but it's good the writer's aren't really taking it seriously, defining the relationship as basically a sham.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#55 of 140 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:52 AM

The whole Troy-Britta thing is failing on every level. And both episodes fet like rehashes. Last night's was especially egregious a total rehash of "Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne", right down to the appearance of Giancarlo Esposito. None of the jokes were especially creative, and there were stretches that felt completely padded.

#56 of 140 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted February 21 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well, my thoughts on this one were pretty much the same as what critics were saying. I thought it was horrible. The opening scene with Britta felt like an excuse to get Gillian Jacobs on camera in her underwear, the Pierce storyline felt like something I've seen a bunch of times already, I thought the Inspector Spacetime thing was played out long before this episode (admittedly, I don't watch Doctor Who, so part of that might be lost on me), and worst of all, it just wasn't funny. Plus, the characters just felt off. The thing with Annie felt like a repeat of the far better Mixology Certification plotline, except tied together with going back to the Annie is in love with Jeff well. Shirley might as well have not even been in the episode, so I can't say much about her. Abed's reactions (especially in the end tag where all he said was "I hate you" and not a complete shutdown like after the 'Cougarton Abbey' thing) were just way off from everything we know about the character through most of the episode. The only thing that felt right was the Troy part of things. Edit: Also, has joshEH been boycotting the season or something? :D

#57 of 140 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,643 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 21 2013 - 04:00 PM

To be fair, most of the best parts with Britta were her stunt double. :)
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#58 of 140 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,597 posts

Posted February 21 2013 - 07:11 PM

Conventions of Space and Time episode was horrible. I was bored. Community just feels so completely different.

all-banner.jpg

#59 of 140 ONLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 12:46 AM

I also found myself bored.  I did get a few chuckles but nothing like prior seasons.  I don't know what it is and I can't put my finger on it but something has changed.  I don't know if it was the long hiatus or something in me that has changed but so far the show has just been kind of "meh" for me.

#60 of 140 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 12:58 AM

The show lacks comedy density. It also lacks any big laughs. I did giggle a few times (unlike last week), but it feels like a comedy made for a laugh track without a laugh track. It keeps pausing for laughs like an episode of iCarly, and it has no flow. This used to be the show you had to watch on DVR because you had to rewind to catch the next two jokes you missed while laughing at the previous one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users