Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted September 15 2012 - 06:21 PM

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   kenkraly20212

kenkraly20212

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted September 15 2012 - 06:25 PM

Great review Neil. Looking forward to getting my copy of the blu-ray collection of Indiana Jones this Tuesday.

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for this review. This positive review means I'm buying the box-set on Tuesday. I held off waiting to see if the reviews mentioned re-editing or title-changing. But it appears Raiders of the Lost Ark is still Raiders of the Lost Ark and not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Nor has the melting face or the vast warehouse at the end been digitally redone. Etc.

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   Fabien Renelli

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 01:30 AM

Excellent review of the set. I'm eager to get mine.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 03:22 AM

Great review Neil - thank you! My enthusiasm to get this set has just ramped up a few notches yet again. October 8th can't come soon enough here in the UK!

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,292 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 16 2012 - 07:52 AM

Nice review. I still plan on waiting for a sale to get this since I'm behind on my viewing as is, still great to know they all look and sound great. Shame they couldn't of bunged on all the extras from the previous release, my shelves are getting pretty full! 

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,534 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 16 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for this review. This positive review means I'm buying the box-set on Tuesday. I held off waiting to see if the reviews mentioned re-editing or title-changing. But it appears Raiders of the Lost Ark is still Raiders of the Lost Ark and not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Nor has the melting face or the vast warehouse at the end been digitally redone. Etc.
When we recently saw it in the theater, it was "Raiders...". The reflections in the cobra scene had been removed.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 10:36 AM

When we recently saw it in the theater, it was "Raiders...". The reflections in the cobra scene had been removed.
I saw this several times at the Cinerama Dome in the 1980s and I have to admit I never noticed the reflected cobra until I had the laserdisc years later. Is it possible it is one of those cases where it wouldn't be visible in a release print, 3 or 4 generations past the OCN? Speaking of the laserdisc, I liked the color of the first pan and scan laserdisc better than the widescreen laserdisc or the DVD. I watched some of that pan and scan laserdisc this morning (yes, I keep just about everything), there was some speckling from laser rot, I suppose, but I thought the color looked closer to the blu-ray screen caps than the DVD.

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 12:05 PM

I saw this several times at the Cinerama Dome in the 1980s and I have to admit I never noticed the reflected cobra until I had the laserdisc years later. Is it possible it is one of those cases where it wouldn't be visible in a release print, 3 or 4 generations past the OCN?
No. I remember it quite clearly from theatrical screenings in '81. That and Belloq seeming to swallow a fly.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,546 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 16 2012 - 01:14 PM

The title has been changed on packaging for over a decade now, but never on the film itself. It gets discussed on every release.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 16 2012 - 03:28 PM

No. I remember it quite clearly from theatrical screenings in '81. That and Belloq seeming to swallow a fly.
The cobra reflection is now gone, but Belloq still swallows the fly.

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted September 16 2012 - 03:57 PM

Does anyone know why he swallowed a fly?:)
I've been going to bed early . . .

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 353 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted September 16 2012 - 03:57 PM

Are any of the special features direct ports from the DVD set? It would be nice if you could put an asterisk or something next to those that are ports, and maybe a list of MIA special features? Sorry, I know I'm a high maintenance reader..... Great review, btw.

#14 of 54 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted September 16 2012 - 04:05 PM

I hope he swallowed a spider to catch the fly but I don't know why he swallowed a fly.

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonemacduff /t/323771/indiana-jones-the-complete-adventures-blu-ray-review#post_3976070

Are any of the special features direct ports from the DVD set? It would be nice if you could put an asterisk or something next to those that are ports, and maybe a list of MIA special features? Sorry, I know I'm a high maintenance reader..... Great review, btw.

Thanks for the compliments all.

I found where someone has done an extensive job figuring out what didn't making it to the new set. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it looks comprehensive:

Hope that helps.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted September 16 2012 - 05:20 PM

I hope he swallowed a spider to catch the fly but I don't know why he swallowed a fly.
Perhaps he'll die.
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted September 16 2012 - 05:29 PM

Neil, thanks for the nice review. I think I'll go ahead and place an order on amazon. Sorry for the double post.

"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#18 of 54 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,307 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'm looking forward to picking this up Tuesday. Raiders is one of my all-time favorite films as I was just 10 years old when it came out and saw it about a dozen times between 1981-1982 as it was re-released several times and would sometimes go to the local dollar show (where the prints were incredibly worn and dirty, but it really added to the character of the movie it seemed!). I also look forward to visiting the sequels although I was no fan of "Skull" but perhaps a second viewing and different expectations will make it more fun.

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 06:10 PM

He says he didn't...

http://www.theindyex...n_interview.php

Can you tell us something about...working with the most famous fly in the world?

Ah, yes. I don’t think anybody noticed it during the shoot, there wasn’t any hilarity at that point in the film, and I think if you look at it carefully, if you freeze the frame around that point, you’ll see that actually some frames are missing.

Yeah, I think I noticed that, just a little too jerky.

Yeah, I think they just took out a couple of frames when the fly flew off, just to make the joke. I got a very nice review from Pauline Kayland [sic] who noted what a devoted actor I was to go through it, with eating the fly and all.

Yeah, we were thinking that, how professional, he just stood there and ate it. (Laughs)

So that was their trick.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 17 2012 - 12:21 AM

Indiana Jones - The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) (Deluxe Edition) 

Posted Image  (0 review)  Write a review    Add to Wishlist  JB Admin

Also Viewed

THIS IS FROM AUSTRALIA.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users