Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vizeo E3D320VX question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 10 2012 - 09:51 AM

I watch my movies and television in a average size room on a Samsung with a 1080p display and I am very pleased with the set. The screen size is 26 inch and it could be a little bit larger and I think I have found a great replacement. I have always loved 3-D and planned to get a HD set with it some day but up until now, I felt the price has been more than I am willing to spend. I was at Sam's Club yesterday and saw a Vizio 34 inch 3-D set for sale at about $350.00 and I became interested in buying it. The model number is E3D320VX and it comes with a one year warranty. Before I buy, I would like to know if I can count on at least two years of trouble free performance and if for any reason I have trouble with the set,, is it very likely I might have problem soon after the warranty period expires? If I have problem with the set in less than a year, will Sam's Club assist me or will I be on my own? I do not think there is a Vizio warranty service centre in Hawaii where I lives so do I have to pack and ship ithe set to Vizio at my expense for warrenty service? As far as picture, quality, it looked great from what I had seen at the store but how is the 3-D? How does it compare with the 3-D in theatres? I recently bought a new BD player and in anticipation of eventually getting a 3-D display , the player can handle it so I am all set there. I also have a couple of 3-D discs already that I also bought because I know I would eventually get 3-D. They include among many others , HUGO and TANGLED. -Claude

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 14,458 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 10 2012 - 10:26 AM

Vizio is still around? I thought they went bankrupt...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE  

• 0 posts

Posted August 10 2012 - 05:42 PM

Vizio is the largest LCD produce in North America by volume.  They are far from bankrupt!

Claude, I have rarely seen any of the latest generation flat panels have issues.  I think you are pretty safe with it lasting two years.  If that is your primary concern and you are happy with what it looked like (hard to do in a store environment as they are usually in "demo mode" which has all the settings maxed out and producing unrealistic colors) then you should be fine.

In regards to your question regarding how 3D performs on the majority of flat panels and PJ's is entirely different than the 3D technology used in a theater.  Personally, I don't like active glasses, which you would have with the Vizio and with the majority of flat panels (there are exceptions, but you get half the resolution). I get eye fatigue with active glasses, but many other people don't.  It's similar to how some people see rainbows with DLP PJ's.  I don't with the majority of them.  With the latest flat screens you typically don't get crosstalk (i.e seeing double image and other artifacts) which is something else you never see in a theater.  To be specific, IMO, there isn't any technology for home use for 3D that is as good as the theater.  It's close, but not the same and I also get eye fatigue and I don't get that with passive glasses that are typically used in a theater.

If they have the display actually demonstrating material in the Sam's Club, I would ask if they are willing to put on 3D content and let you watch with the glasses.  The answer is always "NO" until you ask.  :)

I don't have a Sam's membership, so I don't know their warranty policy.  Have you asked them about that specifically?  In regards to Vizio this seems to be their policy for warranty service for displays 30" or over.

On-Site Warranty Repair Procedure
On-Site Warranty Repair generally is performed on repairable displays which are 30 inches and
larger.
If VIZIO Technical Support determines that a problem with a display unit may be within the
terms and conditions of the VIZIO Limited Product Warranty and that an on-site repair may be
performed, the customer will be provided with an on-site repair authorization number and
on-site repair instructions. The determination for performing the on-site repair may be
dependent upon the manufacturing defect and is at VIZIO's option and sole discretion. Proof of
purchase is required to confirm the product is within the one-year limited warranty period and
meets the terms and conditions of the VIZIO Limited Product Warranty.
On-site repair service is requested through VIZIO's third-party service provider. After VIZIO
provides the customer with the on-site repair (OSR) authorization number, the third-party
service provider will contact the customer and will schedule the repair at the customer's
location. The total approximate time for the repair process, which includes the repair diagnosis,
dispatching the technician, shipping the replacement part(s), and arranging the appointment
with the customer, is completed within approximately 3 to 5 business days, pending
availability of these factors.
If it is determined the product can not be repaired on-site, the customer will be required to ship
the unit to VIZIO's service center, per the below warranty replacement procedure.
VIZIO is not responsible for the de-installation or re-installation of the product. However, some
standard installation may be performed during the on-site repair, at VIZIO's option and sole
discretion. Please read VIZIO's Limited Product Warranty for warranty terms and conditions

However, I would ask to see the manual for the display you are thinking of purchasing to see if it has the same On-Site warranty repair service.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thank you Kevin for your response. I will consider everything you said when I decide to purchase the set. As far as the loss of picture resolution from a Passive HDTV 3-D process , I knew about the fifty percent loss and I do not think that will be a problem because I heard the glasses are lighter and does not require any batteries or the need to have them charged. From the product reviews I had read from consumers who bought the set, the 3-D is very good and they like the picture quality. -Claude