What's new

need more bass out of speakers (1 Viewer)

ScottScott1990

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Scott
OK so i just bought a Sony STR-K870P Digital Audio/Video Control Center Digital Cinema Sound/Discrete 6ch Amplifier out of a pawn shop and i only have two speakers that run through it they're MTX AAL 1540 250 watts 40Hz-22kHz speakers with 15" subs and i am getting almost no bass out of them.
I had them running through a nice Kenwood amp that my buddy let me use and they were about 10x louder on that with the volume 1/4 up.
Now i cant even feel the bass at full volume on this Sony amp.
I have no manual and I've never owned a Sony amp so i'm lost in all the settings and i just don't know the proper way to connect everything for the best sound and bass.
Any help would be great.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Sony's are not known for their receivers; that said, this one should be okay. I found a manual on-line at: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HTDDW870.pdf I would run through it. At the very least, re-set the receiver's settings (page-18). It doesn't appear that it has a auto-calibration feature, so you'll either have to do it by ear, or you'll have to get an SPL meter (Radio Shack, Amazon) and a calibration disk. (For stereo use I'd probably just go by ear.)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Some things to check...
- That receiver has a sub pre-out - if it is turned on, it will remove the lower frequencies from the mains and route them to the sub. If this setting is on, then you won't be getting any bass from your mains. Ensure that the sub setting is set to OFF if you can. When I looked up the receiver, it was originally sold as part of a HTIB system - since this system did include a sub, perhaps the default setting is to have the sub setting set to ON. Also, since it was a HTIB system, the default for the mains may be set to "SMALL" - this will also remove the lover frequencies from the main speakers.
-- So to review - ensure the following are set up in the receiver:
Sub: OFF
Main: LARGE
- Those speakers have rather large, un-powered 15" woofers in them and are fairly old - I was not able to look up specs on them, but they probably are not too efficient. It may be that the receiver just does not have enough power to push those speakers....If the above setting are correct, then you may just be stuck with poor bass response.....
- From the manual above - there is a primitive EQ in the system (allows for BASS +/- settings...since you got it from a pawn shop, the previous user could have changed these settings and EQ'd out the bass - these should be avoided and set to the zero level...

ScottScott1990

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Scott
Thanks Martino that was very helpful I'm still wondering tho if there is anyway to get the subs on my speakers more power.
Like I said with that Kenwood amp they were shaking the glass in my cabinets and it wasn't even half way up but now i can barely hear the bass.
I tried those settings changes but still just pathetic on the bass.
Is there any way to keep rocking out without buying a stupid little sub to plug in to my sub port maybe get a pre-amp or something?
Or am i stuck with this shitty ass Sony's being too quiet (I should never have to say that about a AMPLIFIER!!!!! but here we are)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Is there any way to keep rocking out without buying a stupid little sub to plug in to my sub port maybe get a pre-amp or something?
A pre-amp is a signal processor without the amp section - it is used to decode the incoming signals - so it need to be hooked up to an external amp (these are called separates - this is how I have my system hooked up) - sometimes a receiver will have un-amplified outputs, which would allow you to use a receiver as a pre-amp and bypass the amp section. Unfortunately for you, your receiver does not offer this option - so you cannot add an external amp to that system for your large speakers.
There is a way you can use your receivers speaker level outputs to hook up to an external amp....you would need a converter box....something like this setup would work, but would cost you an additional $137.00....
Xantech SLLC1 Speaker Level to Line level Converter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882228041&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
-- This takes your speaker output on your receiver, and converts it to RCA inputs for an external amp to use...$46.99
-- Then you can use an external amp....and whatever signal comes out of the receiver will be amplified by X amount - you can use your receiver volume control to control the signal....
Pyle Home PAMP1000 160 Watt 2 Channel Home Stereo Power Amplifier -- $89.89
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PAMP1000-Channel-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002UL0XH2
Of course - for the same amount of money, you could add an external sub that has a built in amp, and hook it up to the sub output to your receiver.....
$130.00
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-629
Not sure of your budget - but if you like the speakers and do not want to add a sub, and just want a 2 channel system - you might be better off getting a stereo receiver with more wattage for your speakers...
Something like this reverb unit...
DENON DRA-697CI AM/FM Multi-Source/Zone Stereo AV Receiver - $300.00
This has 100 watt/channel....and should be able to drive those speakers...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDRA697CI/DENON-DRA-697CI-AM/FM-Multi-Source/Zone-Stereo-AV-Receiver/1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks