Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 9 votes

Aspect Ratio Documentation

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5769 replies to this topic

#5761 of 5770 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,991 posts

Posted May 03 2015 - 12:19 PM

POPULAR

Brides.JPG

UK 1.66 graph.jpg

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

SAMSPACE_02_edited-1_zpse1008419.jpg

#5762 of 5770 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted May 03 2015 - 12:21 PM

My IMAX always shows scope movies in the correct aspect ratio.  The recomposing happened decades ago for example Apollo 13.

Well when Imax shows Scope films here they are shown at 1.9  not 2.4.

I suppose if a film was shot in Super 35 they could juggle the framing to get it to fit better but the point I am making  is that the original Scope composition is screwed up.

If Dolby Vision gives us constant height with a width of 2.4 on a curved screen, then in my book it will be light years ahead of Imax.

#5763 of 5770 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,991 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 AM

May the 4th be with you.

Kings.gif

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#5764 of 5770 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts
  • LocationGlendale, California

Posted Yesterday, 06:09 AM

I believe from Googling it that 66 minutes was shot 15perf/70mm with IMAX cameras, that's a lot of movie, quality of the image will be amazing, i also found this article on the production suggesting they shot with multiple aspect ratio's in mind.

http://www.interstel...ie.com/formats/

A snippet from that article, you have probably read this but some people may not have.

INTERSTELLAR was shot using a combination of 35mm anamorphic film and 65mm 15 perf IMAX FILM. When presented on 70mm IMAX, the sequences shot on IMAX are printed full quality in their native format- the highest quality imaging format ever devised, offering almost ten times the resolution of standard formats, and filling the giant IMAX screens from top to bottom. The 35mm anamorphic sequences have been blown up to fill the IMAX screen side-to-side using a 6k digital DMR process, the highest resolution processing ever used in a feature film presentation. The finished picture switches between the 2.40:1 and 1.43:1 aspect ratios at key dramatic moments in the film. This is combined with a specially made IMAX uncompressed sound mix for the most immersive presentation of the film.

The digital IMAX presentation has been created from 6 and 8k scans of the original film elements, graded specifically for the high contrast IMAX dual-projection system. When presented on digital IMAX, the sequences shot on IMAX will fill the IMAX screens from top to bottom and switch from 2.40:1 to an aspect ratio of up to 1.9:1. It will also carry the uncompressed IMAX sound mix of the film.

When presented on regular 70mm film, the IMAX sequences have been optically reduced to 70mm 5 perf film to produce a grain-free, ultra-high resolution image, cropped top and bottom to fill the wide screen. The 35mm anamorphic sections have been blown up optically. Both processes are photochemical, preserving the original analog color of the imagery and combined in a 2.2:1 widescreen presentation. The sound is carried on a separate Datasat disc to produce state-of-the-art 6-track digital sound.

Incidentally, The Brides Of Dracula on blu ray at 2.0:1, should this be 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 instead. ?

Malcolm, where were you? It's been a long time since you last posted here.

#5765 of 5770 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,041 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 AM

POPULAR

Malcolm, where were you? It's been a long time since you last posted here.

I was searching for the lost tomb of Walt Disney, i wanted to bring him out of the cryogenic chamber earlier than planned and get him to correct some of those aspect ratios on films like The Jungle Book, alas Goofy and the gang were blocking the way and i never made it, maybe next year.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5766 of 5770 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 AM

I was searching for the lost tomb of Walt Disney, i wanted to bring him out of the cryogenic chamber earlier than planned and get him to correct some of those aspect ratios on films like The Jungle Book, alas Goofy and the gang were blocking the way and i never made it, maybe next year.

Unless I never noticed the kanji before (always possible at my advanced age) you've been searching for Walt's body in the mountains of Nippon.

#5767 of 5770 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,041 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted Today, 09:18 AM

Unless I never noticed the kanji before (always possible at my advanced age) you've been searching for Walt's body in the mountains of Nippon.

It's all that Wolverine's fault, seems to have a thing for Japan and i was badly advised.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5768 of 5770 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,991 posts

Posted Today, 10:20 AM

It's 3-D Summer at MoMA, including the June 13 New York premiere of 3-D RARITIES.

Don't miss it on the big screen!

https://www.moma.org...ndar/films/1587

MoMA_zpstnc3isua.jpg

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#5769 of 5770 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,483 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted Today, 02:45 PM

Bob; have you any documentation on the OAR of John Frankenheimer's The Train (1964)?

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5770 of 5770 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,991 posts

Posted Today, 03:10 PM

From Boxoffice: March 8, 1965.

Train.JPG

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users