Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Please help me!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 onetimeuser

onetimeuser

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 04 2012 - 02:06 PM

so we rearranged our room so we are now reconnecting our receiver and speakers... everything works but the left and right front speakers!! we are using the yahama RX 990 receiver (it is pretty old) On this receiver, you can use two sets of speakers for the left and right. but we are just using only one left and one right. we know it is not the speakers because we hooked up a working speaker to the outputs. what could it be?!!??! the entire "front speaker" section outputs on the back of the receiver doesn't work cause we tried every possible combination. is it a fuse inside?! Is it a setting? I am getting very frustrated. any suggestions?

#2 of 6 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,656 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 04 2012 - 02:45 PM

The simple, silly things first. Are the A/B buttons on the front of the receiver in the proper position? Did you accidently flip the Front Level switch on the back to -10 db? Did you remove the jumper pins between the Front-In and Front-Out? Check those first.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 6 onetimeuser

onetimeuser

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 04 2012 - 03:20 PM

We did check the jumpers and they were in the correct spot.. But after reading your comment, I looked at the manual again and noticed that we had the jumpers hooked in horizontally instead of vertically! and after I switched it, they worked! But would that have somehow harmed the receiver by having the jumpers in the wrong way like that? I hope not! One last question! how are we supposed to hook up the tv? we have an rca cable coming out of the "audio out" of the tv going into the VCR1 input. Does it matter what input we use? That is the only thing input we have going into the receiver (our blue ray player is going into the tv via hdmi and the audio goes through that rca cable into the receiver so we have surround sound.) Is this the correct way to do it? Thanks!

#4 of 6 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,678 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 04 2012 - 03:31 PM

Charles:  Welcome to the forum!  http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Looks like gene c saves the day again.  We're used to that around here!  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 6 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,656 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 04 2012 - 04:11 PM

I don't think you harmed the receiver. Connecting two inputs together or two outputs together shouldn't have done anything. But hey, you need a new receiver anyway, right :D . It shouldn't matter what input you use. Use whatever is available. But there should be two cables, a left and a right (red and white). If your Bluray player has the multi-channel analog outputs you might want to try hooking them up to the multi-channel input on the back of the Yamaha receiver. You would get much better sound that way, from ther BR player at least.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 6 Mr645

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts
  • LocationBoca Raton, Florida

Posted February 05 2012 - 02:31 AM

Since the receiver is up and running, playing fine, I would say no damage has been done. That era Yamaha gear is really solid. I have an RX850 attached to a computer, been sitting on it's side and turned on for about 6 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users