Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's the chance we'll ever see a Blu-ray of That Thing You Do?

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,227 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 20 2012 - 08:32 AM

The Tom Hanks-directed film of 1996 is one of the all-time favorite films of the Frezon family.

I own both the 2001 and 2007 (extended cut) DVD releases and have been "onedering" if this film might ever make it onto Fox's list of titles t release in HD?

THIS HTF discussion which took place when the extended cut was released in '07 shows that it hass a pretty strong fanbase on this forum.

A lossless audio track and an HD PQ would be great for this title!

But it always seems like there are so many other (higher profile) films which are still in the hopper--waiting for an HD release--that a smaller film like this might never see the light of day.  That would be too bad.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted January 21 2012 - 01:14 AM

I was just thinking about how much I'd like a BD of this flick the other day - bring it on! Posted Image

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,340 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 21 2012 - 01:33 AM

Tom Hanks is one of the biggest and most beloved movie stars in history so I think it'll happen at some point. Plus, he does alot of movies so there's frequently a new movie that Fox could piggyback a catalog title like That Thing You Do on to.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted January 31 2012 - 05:57 AM

Hello all--- I, too, own the two previous DVD versions of TTYD!, but it's one of the few films I'd consider triple-dipping for...! It's a great little film. Steve Zahn is hilarious in it. Hanks wrote and directed it with care. He's obviously a big music fan, and it shows through on-screen. The movie might not have changed the world or won lots of awards, but it has heart, and I think it's obvious that the cast had fun making it. That enthusiasm translates onto the screen, making it a joy to watch time after time. That does it. I'm going to have to watch this again soon. TTYD!, along with ALMOST FAMOUS: UNTITLED THE BOOTLEG CUT and THIS IS SPINAL TAP, really capture what it means to love music. Those are three of my favorite films, and I think they should be required viewing for any of today's pop stars and American Idols. matt

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 31 2012 - 02:00 PM

I can definitely see Fox releasing it down the line. I can also see them licensing it out to Anchor Bay since they just recently started an agreement with them and so far it includes a fair amount of 90s titles.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted February 01 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hoping for it to come to BD also. We just watched the DVD (the newer one, but watched the theatrical cut which I generally prefer) last Sunday, with some friends over. Always a good time. We also have the soundtrack and play it fairly often. Lossless audio on a BD would be nice.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,227 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 24 2013 - 08:45 PM

Just found this news today!  :thumbs-up-smiley:

That Thing You Do Blu release on April 2, 2013!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 10 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,500 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 24 2013 - 08:59 PM

I've only ever seen this on HBO/Cinemax...or whatever...

I'd pick it up though...especially if it contained a separate area of just the songs. I actually like the other song better that Zahn sang...you know their "follow up" song they only did once in the movie(it is late and I don't feel like Wikiing it...).

Edited by schan1269, March 24 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 04:12 AM

Actually, we have had the press release posted for a week or two.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,625 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 25 2013 - 04:15 AM

Yes, my review copy solicitation was several weeks ago. Anyway, I like the film too and am glad fans will get it (hopefully) in definitive form.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users