What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner Bros. seems to be leaving the door to room 237 ajar, as the legend below the title, Doctor Sleep on packaging reads "The next chapter in The Shining story."

I'd been getting negative feedback on this film, but as a fan of the original, I had to try it on for size, that size being long and extra long, dependent upon whether one selects the theatrical cut at 152 minutes, or the director's cut, at 180.

My experience has been that when a home video release offers an "extended," or "director's" cut of the film, things normally come to down to marketing sizzle, adding deletions and trims, that in most cases, were better left on the cutting room floor, or hard drive.

Doctor Sleep is an entirely different creature, as the extra 28 minutes actually fills out the storyline, adding to our knowledge and understanding of the characters, and creating a far better overall experience.

But here comes the conundrum, or more appropriately, the murdnunoc.

Doctor Sleep is one of those rare avis, actually shot in high resolution and finished in 4k, which means that Warner's 4k release is the real thing - and yes, especially in projection, one can see a difference.

The murdnunoc is that the director's cut is an extra, albeit on an extra disc, and is presented, not in true 4k, but in HD. Further, for those which projectors, and I'm considering upgrading because of it, most projectors do not possess the ability to properly handle HDR, and afaik, none project in Dolby Vision.

What all of this means, is that currently, projecting the film in 4k HDR, which is the theatrical can not allow the full and proper HDR experience, while a quality flat panel will shine in this regard.

My preference was to view the Director's Cut, which I highly recommend, via projection, and do a contrast and compare, running the Theatrical 4k via OLED.

One Very nice attribute of Warner's release is that regardless of which version one selects (and yes, they're on separate discs) you get Dolby Atmos, and are not downgraded, or crippled as some used to say in terms of cell phone usage, as Disney/Fox has chosen to do with Ford v Ferrari.

Why should home theaters fans, who have not upgraded to 4k, but have added Dolby Atmos, be treated as second class citizens?

As to the film itself, regardless of which cut one selects, I loved it. Mike Flanagan, who wrote and directed, has done a dutiful job of connecting the dots between novels and the earlier film version, which serves as a prologue to this film. The cinema mythos, which fans should love is all there.

Ewan McGregor does a great job bringing the grown Danny to life, while the magnificent Rebecca Fergusson (you'll hopefully remember her from Mission Impossible and Greatest Showman) serves as a chilling antagonist, and a new talent, young Kyliegh Curran rounds out the main cast.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 - 4k - Dolby Atmos

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why should home theaters fans, who have not upgraded to 4k, but have added Dolby Atmos, be treated as second class citizens?
Because I think certain studios are trying to force home theater fans to upgrade to 4K! It's wrong, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Because I think certain studios are trying to force home theater fans to upgrade to 4K! It's wrong, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Agreed. This time next year, it will only appear on 8k discs, which will be best suited for display in spots stadiums.

I find 8k, outside of the medical field, a very odd concept.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The murdnunoc is that the director's cut is an extra, albeit on an extra disc, and is presented, not in true 4k, but in HD.

While it's certainly a different beast, the 4K streaming version of Doctor Sleep (on iTunes anyway) presents both cuts in 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I doubt there are many left to upgrade. 4K TV's have been the standard for several years now. Those that are interested in 4K already have it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The murdnunoc is that the director's cut is an extra, albeit on an extra disc, and is presented, not in true 4k, but in HD.
Just to be clear, The directors cut is available in 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos on iTunes and vudu with the supplied digital code.

Edit: Doug beat me to the punch.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I doubt there are many left to upgrade. 4K TV's have been the standard for several years now. Those that are interested in 4K already have it.

True, but 4K displays and 4K UHD disc players are two different things.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Further, for those which projectors, and I'm considering upgrading because of it, most projectors do not possess the ability to properly handle HDR, and afaik, none project in Dolby Vision.

The only projectors that do Dolby Vision are those in professional Dolby Cinema installations. Dolby Vision requires the processor to know exactly how bright the screen is in order to tone-map the image accordingly within the capabilities of the screen. This is possible in Dolby Cinema auditoriums, which have been designed, measured, and calibrated by Dolby engineers. It's also possible on flat panel TVs, which are manufactured to published brightness and contrast specs they are expected to meet.

It is not possible on a regular home theater projector, because far too many variables affect image brightness that the processor cannot know: screen size, screen color and gain, throw distance the projector is mounted at, lamp age, color of the walls and other reflective surfaces in the room, ambient light in the room, etc. Even the difference between a ceiling mounted projector and a shelf mounted projector can affect brightness. As such, home theater projectors can only support HDR10.

JVC's current line of 4K projectors have a feature called "Frame Adapt HDR" that will analyze the video signal and dynamically adjust tone-mapping frame-by-frame to the user's choice of Low, Medium, or High settings (to account for screen brightness). In principle, this is the same thing Dolby Vision does, except that the tone-mapping decisions are set by an algorithm rather than a human being. It's not always perfect, but it's leagues better than any other home theater projector's implementation of HDR.

Frame-by-frame dynamic tone mapping can also be achieved by an outboard video processor such as a Lumagen Radiance Pro or the upcoming MadVR Envy, but either of those will cost as much or more than the projector does. For those technically savvy enough, a free version of MadVR can also be installed onto an HTPC, but it requires a computer with a lot of processing power and can only be used on content played from a hard drive. (So no plugging a disc player or streaming device into a convenient HDMI input, which the Envy model will offer.)

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The only projectors that do Dolby Vision are those in professional Dolby Cinema installations. Dolby Vision requires the processor to know exactly how bright the screen is in order to tone-map the image accordingly within the capabilities of the screen. This is possible in Dolby Cinema auditoriums, which have been designed, measured, and calibrated by Dolby engineers. It's also possible on flat panel TVs, which are manufactured to published brightness and contrast specs they are expected to meet.

It is not possible on a regular home theater projector, because far too many variables affect image brightness that the processor cannot know: screen size, screen color and gain, throw distance the projector is mounted at, lamp age, color of the walls and other reflective surfaces in the room, ambient light in the room, etc. Even the difference between a ceiling mounted projector and a shelf mounted projector can affect brightness. As such, home theater projectors can only support HDR10.

JVC's current line of 4K projectors have a feature called "Frame Adapt HDR" that will analyze the video signal and dynamically adjust tone-mapping frame-by-frame to the user's choice of Low, Medium, or High settings (to account for screen brightness). In principle, this is the same thing Dolby Vision does, except that the tone-mapping decisions are set by an algorithm rather than a human being. It's not always perfect, but it's leagues better than any other home theater projector's implementation of HDR.

Frame-by-frame dynamic tone mapping can also be achieved by an outboard video processor such as a Lumagen Radiance Pro or the upcoming MadVR Envy, but either of those will cost as much or more than the projector does. For those technically savvy enough, a free version of MadVR can also be installed onto an HTPC, but it requires a computer with a lot of processing power and can only be used on content played from a hard drive. (So no plugging a disc player or streaming device into a convenient HDMI input, which the Envy processor will offer.)

Agreed. Considering the JVC NX 7/9 aka RS 3000/2000. Biggest difference is the optic, which raises the price considerably, as well as 8k pixel shift, which should add all sorts of interesting anomalies that one might not wish.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

Let's not forget that as of late this year, both Sony and Microsoft will have new gaming systems both 4K capable. When Playstation 3 and XBox 360 hit the market, there was an uptick in bluray sales I believe. Can't check the figures at the moment. I'm at work.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Is this not a missed opportunity? Why couldn't both versions be on the same disc with seamless branching?
(Having said that, are there any 4k discs with seamless branching...?)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is this not a missed opportunity? Why couldn't both versions be on the same disc with seamless branching?
(Having said that, are there any 4k discs with seamless branching...?)

Not certain, but with the resolution of true 4k, and 1.85 aspect ratio, which is a data hog, it may be pushing data throughput.

Soulwax

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Can I just check with people who own the iTunes copy, whether the directors cut does indeed have Dolby vision/Dolby atmos? I’m in the uk (not sure if that’ll make any difference) and I seem to only find conflicting comments online. I’ve contacted apple and they cant answer either. It comes out physically tomorrow so will buy that otherwise due to the guarantee of atmos on the directors cut.
Thanks

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Can I just check with people who own the iTunes copy, whether the directors cut does indeed have Dolby vision/Dolby atmos?
It does indeed.

image.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
@Tino I don't have AppleTV; I stream iTunes films via Roku. I purchased Doctor Sleep (iTunes) and could only watch the theatrical version via iTunes. Switched to VUDU and was able to watch the Director's Cut. I don't understand the issue here.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
@Tino I don't have AppleTV; I stream iTunes films via Roku. I purchased Doctor Sleep (iTunes) and could only watch the theatrical version via iTunes. Switched to VUDU and was able to watch the Director's Cut. I don't understand the issue here.
Here’s the menu screen on my ATV 4K. @bujaki
image.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, but that's your ATV. I only have Roku. It won't show the DC. It's OK since I went to VUDU, but I'm shortchanged with all the iTunes extras that I don't seem to be able to access via the Roku. Oh well.
Understood. Just wanted to show you my menu.

Thats BS by the way. It has great iTunes extras.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Per Apple, "You can watch iTunes Extras in the Apple TV app on an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and Apple TV. Or in iTunes for Windows on a PC. For iTunes Extras to display on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, use your device in landscape mode."

The Roku app and the Android app do not support iTunes extras. While Vudu considers the theatrical cut and the director's cut two separate titles, Apple treats the director's cut like an extra of the theatrical cut.

I find the Apple TV app very frustrating to deal with. I always choose Vudu over the Apple TV app if it's an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks