What's the chance we'll ever see a Blu-ray of That Thing You Do?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mike Frezon, Jan 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The Tom Hanks-directed film of 1996 is one of the all-time favorite films of the Frezon family.

I own both the 2001 and 2007 (extended cut) DVD releases and have been "onedering" if this film might ever make it onto Fox's list of titles t release in HD?

THIS HTF discussion which took place when the extended cut was released in '07 shows that it hass a pretty strong fanbase on this forum.

A lossless audio track and an HD PQ would be great for this title!

But it always seems like there are so many other (higher profile) films which are still in the hopper--waiting for an HD release--that a smaller film like this might never see the light of day. That would be too bad.

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I was just thinking about how much I'd like a BD of this flick the other day - bring it on!

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Tom Hanks is one of the biggest and most beloved movie stars in history so I think it'll happen at some point. Plus, he does alot of movies so there's frequently a new movie that Fox could piggyback a catalog title like That Thing You Do on to.

4. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Hello all---
    I, too, own the two previous DVD versions of TTYD!, but it's one of the few films I'd consider triple-dipping for...! It's a great little film. Steve Zahn is hilarious in it. Hanks wrote and directed it with care. He's obviously a big music fan, and it shows through on-screen. The movie might not have changed the world or won lots of awards, but it has heart, and I think it's obvious that the cast had fun making it. That enthusiasm translates onto the screen, making it a joy to watch time after time.
    That does it. I'm going to have to watch this again soon.
    TTYD!, along with ALMOST FAMOUS: UNTITLED THE BOOTLEG CUT and THIS IS SPINAL TAP, really capture what it means to love music. Those are three of my favorite films, and I think they should be required viewing for any of today's pop stars and American Idols.
    matt

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I can definitely see Fox releasing it down the line. I can also see them licensing it out to Anchor Bay since they just recently started an agreement with them and so far it includes a fair amount of 90s titles.

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Hoping for it to come to BD also. We just watched the DVD (the newer one, but watched the theatrical cut which I generally prefer) last Sunday, with some friends over. Always a good time. We also have the soundtrack and play it fairly often. Lossless audio on a BD would be nice.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I've only ever seen this on HBO/Cinemax...or whatever...

I'd pick it up though...especially if it contained a separate area of just the songs. I actually like the other song better that Zahn sang...you know their "follow up" song they only did once in the movie(it is late and I don't feel like Wikiing it...).

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
  10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, my review copy solicitation was several weeks ago. Anyway, I like the film too and am glad fans will get it (hopefully) in definitive form.