Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Oklahoma!""Carousel" "The King and I" coming to UK

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 of 92 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 12:18 PM

Well, Blu-ray.com announced that Fox was working on them back in 2011. So I would expect they can be released when Fox wants to. Who knows they may go to Twlight Time.

I doubt they are all ready for release and I cannot imagine even one of these titles going to Twilight Time with the current arrangement of 3000 copies.

#62 of 92 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,892 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 21 2013 - 12:50 PM

I doubt they are all ready for release and I cannot imagine even one of these titles going to Twilight Time with the current arrangement of 3000 copies.

That's exactly the remarks being made about OLIVER! going to Twilight. In these days anything is possible. You don't think a year and half is long enough to to have finished transfers for a Blu-ray release of the four titles (five films). I am not including the 60's State Fair, if it is included I doubt it would be HD, just as the Roadshow version of South Pacific was not HD on the Blu.

Edited by ahollis, April 21 2013 - 12:51 PM.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#63 of 92 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 03:00 AM

That's exactly the remarks being made about OLIVER! going to Twilight. In these days anything is possible.You don't think a year and half is long enough to to have finished transfers for a Blu-ray release of the four titles (five films). I am not including the 60's State Fair, if it is included I doubt it would be HD, just as the Roadshow version of South Pacific was not HD on the Blu.

While I still think Fox will release these titles you are right that we never know how the studios tick these days. Certainly not too many would have expected Philadelphia and As Good as it Gets as Twilight releases!

#64 of 92 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 06:58 AM

The 70mm Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! was shot at 30 frames per second. I would hope that this is what we will get to see on a forthcoming Blu-ray release. After all this time (it was shot in the mid 50's) there still hasn't been an acceptable version of this movie available to us on any home video format. 

#65 of 92 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,892 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 22 2013 - 07:25 AM

The 70mm Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! was shot at 30 frames per second. I would hope that this is what we will get to see on a forthcoming Blu-ray release. After all this time (it was shot in the mid 50's) there still hasn't been an acceptable version of this movie available to us on any home video format.

In my opinion the Todd-AO version on the Laserdisc is still the best. I can not understand how they screwed up on DVD transfer. I held on to the laserdisc due to that horrible transfer. It is my hope that both versions are on the Blu-ray. Both are very different.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#66 of 92 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,555 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 22 2013 - 07:36 AM

A source in the know told me that after seeing the spectacular transfer of "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines", Fox decided that Twilight Time would not be getting any more Todd AO titles.  I would think it's safe to say that they will not be getting any of the R&H titles with the possible exception of the 1962 State Fair.  The R&H titles have always been standard offerings at places such as Costco and there's absolutely no reason to suspect that BluRay releases on the remaining titles would be any different.

I can only hope and expect that Fox is taking the time to do these titles the full justice they deserve on BluRay and they will come out when they are ready.

#67 of 92 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,827 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 22 2013 - 08:12 AM

The laserdisc of the Todd-AO version was definitely spectacular, and I lost count of how many times I watched it. The DVD of it was completely UNWATCHABLE.

#68 of 92 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 09:49 AM

I sincerely hope that, perhaps through the influence of the R&H Office, FLOWER DRUM SONG gets included in a BD release as well.

#69 of 92 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,629 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 22 2013 - 11:36 AM

While a good musical on stage, I always thought the film version of CAROUSEL to be bland and lifeless. I always remember seeing it here in LA at the County Museum Of Art and during a particularly uninspired dance number, my friend turning to me and whispering, "Doesn't this look like something you would see at Knotts Berry Farm?"

#70 of 92 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted April 24 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yes, Carousel is a true curate's egg .. but the good parts are still very delectable. I think Shirley Jones's farewell to her lover 'What's the Use of Wondering' is still very moving, and 'If I Loved You' and the extended closure still affect me in a very sooky blubby way. No wonder my wife refuses to watch this with me! Mind you, 'South Pacific' is another musical I can only watch while she's away. She's fine with 'Oklahoma!' though......

And don't get her on the subject of 'Bugsy Malone'!

I guess musicals are very personal items indeed. Fortunately we both love Fred and Ginger.

#71 of 92 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 01:52 PM

The restoration efforts may have uncovered new material that needed to be restored for inclusion on the release. I do hope that we get original 6-track audio for The King & I and Carousel. Also, the print of the TODD-AO version of Oklahoma! used on the DVD had deteriorated severely. Perhaps Fox is returning to the negative (which is undoubtedly in poor condition) or trying to hunt down a TODD-AO print in circulation. I know of one that occasionally is screened at various festivals.

#72 of 92 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 10:22 PM

I find it astonishing that the print used for the initial DVD presentation of the Todd-AO version could have deteriorated between then and now. Surely many lessons had been learnt by then about preservation of important material like this. How could significant deterioration have occurred in such a short time-span? This sound like virtual criminal neglect! We're used to horror-tales about how valuable negs and prints were handled in the 30s through to the 80s ... but how could this still be happening?

Then again, the fact that the wonderful transfer of 'My Fair Lady' to DVD could not be repeated for Blu ray shows how bad things still are in preservation-land .. though Robert Harris, I believe, blames this more on sloppy transfer procedure than on actual issues with film material.

#73 of 92 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted April 27 2013 - 01:07 AM

I find it astonishing that the print used for the initial DVD presentation of the Todd-AO version could have deteriorated between then and now. Surely many lessons had been learnt by then about preservation of important material like this. How could significant deterioration have occurred in such a short time-span? 

Prints made on earlier Eastman stock fade as do the negatives of all the movies mentioned. Fading can only be slowed down with proper storage, not prevented.

#74 of 92 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,827 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 27 2013 - 04:48 AM

I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the last Todd-AO DVD transfer of Oklahoma! but fading wasn't as much a problem as a blurry picture and  completely brownish color timing, neither of which was present in the laserdisc or earlier non-anamorphic DVD release.

It was almost as if Fox decided that they wanted the Cinemascope transfer to be the go-to version of the movie and relegated the Todd-AO version to also-ran status by doing a poor job with its transfer. The CInemascope transfer was bright and colorful, but I've always found it inferior to the Todd-AO in photography and performance. But we're forced to watch it because the Todd-AO as it now stands is completely unwatchable.

#75 of 92 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,397 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 29 2013 - 08:12 AM

Then again, the fact that the wonderful transfer of 'My Fair Lady' to DVD could not be repeated for Blu ray shows how bad things still are in preservation-land .. though Robert Harris, I believe, blames this more on sloppy transfer procedure than on actual issues with film material.

Actually, the problem with the My Fair Lady Blu-ray was that they used the old transfer in the first place.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#76 of 92 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,443 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 29 2013 - 10:41 AM

The restoration efforts may have uncovered new material that needed to be restored for inclusion on the release. I do hope that we get original 6-track audio for The King & I and Carousel. Also, the print of the TODD-AO version of Oklahoma! used on the DVD had deteriorated severely. Perhaps Fox is returning to the negative (which is undoubtedly in poor condition) or trying to hunt down a TODD-AO print in circulation. I know of one that occasionally is screened at various festivals.

The six tracks on the 70mm print were five for the front and one for surround. So, the most they can do is three front from the five and I guess split the one surround track.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#77 of 92 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted November 10 2013 - 11:10 PM

POPULAR

Promising news?

I have been informed that the Todd-AO 30 frames per second  Road Show version of [color=#ff0000;]"OKLAHOMA!"[/color] is presently being fully restored by 20th Century Fox.

Could a Blu-ray be creeping closer?    2014 maybe?

#78 of 92 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 871 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 04:54 AM

Still waiting for DOCTOR DOLITTLE and  STAR!

#79 of 92 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 07:12 PM

Great news about the possible resotration of the Todd-AO version of 'Oklahoma!'

I remember how disappointed I was with the flawed transfer in the latest DVD edition .. even the previous non-anamophic transfer looked better on my projector screen.

#80 of 92 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted November 11 2013 - 07:25 PM

The present European & Australian Blu-rays of "Doctor Dolittle" leave a lot to be desired.

Image quality is a real disappointment with washed-out colours and a generally ugly, brownish looking image.

There is no Todd-AO credit indicating a probable 35mm source.

Here's hoping that any future US Blu-ray release of "Doctor Dolittle" comes from a newly restored 70mm source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users