"Oklahoma!""Carousel" "The King and I" coming to UK

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by GMpasqua, Nov 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Melaus

Melaus Auditioning

Is there any update on BR releases for Carousal, Oklahoma and The King and I?
    Region unimportant in theses cases.
    Thankyou:rolleyes:

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The lack of news on these titles is quite depressing.

I see no hint of blu notifications on amazon.uk.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I guess since Fox did the Marilyn box this summer and distributed the Bond box (plus with all of the other BIG releases slated for September and October from other studios), perhaps they didn't want these jewels to get swallowed up in hype from other studios for their big boxes.
    Keeping fingers crossed for a 2013 release for these movies on Blu-ray.

4. Melaus

Melaus Auditioning

Great pick-up.....................How many will twig?

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I think Fox knows how many people want the films and what their expectations of the transfer are. It's just a question of time, and from a marketing perspective, 2013, being the 70th anniversary of Oklahoma's original Broadway opening, should be a perfect time to do it. I can wait for them to be done right, but meanwhile we still have The Sound of Music and South Pacific, whose treatment should be the gold standard for the rest of the films.

6. Melaus

Melaus Auditioning

Yes, quite agree.
    I have both Sound of Music & South Pacific on BR, but the three movies in question hold a special place for me as they were all ones that my parents took me to see when I was a kid and I've never forgotten them.
    Somehow the DVD's although reasonable quality just don't cut it on the big/little screen at home!

7. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    The one I'm most looking forward to collecting on Blu is "The King and I". The colours and costumes will threaten to erupt off the screen if the transfer is handled correctly. And the soundtrack in full multi-track stereo... bliss...

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

+1

9. Melaus

Melaus Auditioning

Is there any indication as yet as to whether these R&H Musicals will appear in the U.S. or U.K. Market at the same time, or is there expected to be an earlier date in one of these areas?

10. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I've neither read nor heard anything about Blu-ray releases of these classics. And when we visited Fox a couple of weeks ago, and there was talk of their 2013 commitment to vault titles, nothing was shown to us or said about them.

(During the showing of Patton, some members who didn't want to see it again went outside the screening room, and maybe the subject came up as they talked with Fox home video executives.)

11. Melaus

Melaus Auditioning

Thanks Matt

12. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Second Unit

noel
    Carousel was on TCMHD Thursday night - it looked and sounded amazing. The colors were stronger than I had ever seen though not as sharp as I would like. That could be the Cinemascope or cable HD broadcast limitations. However the sound was spectacular - vivid separations and beautiful soundstage. I cannot wait to get this.

13. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I just wrote to the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization about this very thing. They replied Wednesday (4/17) that they are "working on a release schedule" but have "no firm dates" at this time for "Oklahoma!", "Carousel", "State Fair" and "The King and I".

14. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Second Unit

Jim
    Hulu does have OKLAHOMA! (Todd-Ao version), KING AND I, and CAROUSEL available for in HD. I was able to sample KING AND I free and it does look better than the dvd. The problem with Hulu is that for these titles in full HD, you have to buy the movie. Has anyone seem the Hulu versions of these films and if so does it appear to be a new master? I will probably wait until these are on blu ray myself.

15. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    AFAIK TCM"HD" is still not true HD. I've read somewhere that they'll sometimes start with an HD master, downconvert it to SD, then upconvert it again. Something about a legal loophole that saves them some money. Weird.

16. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Second Unit

noel
    That would make sense based upon what I saw. Having said that it still looks miles better than the DVD. It still must be a new HD master used IMHO. And the sound was much better as well.

17. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

That HD master probably is rather old as it has been around for years, something was already shown on Sky HD in 2008 and back then it also was a vast improvement over the shoddy DVD (not a big achievement). With all the compression that is sadly performed on OTA HD there is no way to tell how good this would really look but I was not stunned about what I saw and it was certainly not up to the standard of the airing of Cleopatra where you could see that there was a lot of detail and texture before the compression kicked in. Of course a lot has been said about how good these movies shot in Cinemascope 55 could really look but I would expect them to look a bit better than the early Cinemascope movies shot in 35mm like The Robe, that goes especially for The King and I. We will see once we get the Blu-ray I guess.

18. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    But WHEN will we get them? There were rumors we'd get them last year, and then Fox surprised us and released a Marilyn Monroe collection instead. It's time now for the rest of their Rodgers and Hammerstein films.

ahollis likes this.
  19. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

There is probably a lot of work to be done on these with the possibility of Fox starting all over again for Carousel and The King and I.
    Oklahoma! is also very problematic so I would guess that 2014 is the earliest that we could expect all three of them.

20. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Well, Blu-ray.com announced that Fox was working on them back in 2011. So I would expect they can be released when Fox wants to. Who knows they may go to Twlight Time.