Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question: Novice to Blu-ray....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 06:10 AM

I have noticed that some movies are crystal clear and others are grainy. Even within the same movie some scenes will be crystal clear and others grainy. Is this so to factors like the print of the film that wad used on the transfer? The type of film or the camera or lenses that was used during the filming? If so how can you tell if the grainy look is due to how it was filmed or if it is a poor transfer? Thanks!
S&S flims seen: 33

Most Recent:
Solaris/****
Blade Runner/***The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly/****

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 10 2011 - 06:45 AM

Great question Dennis.  Yes, all of the above.  Keep in mind that film grain is also detail, and sometimes people go overboard to remove the grain removing a lot of the detail too, so the absence of grain can sometimes indicate a poor transfer too.  I'd encourage you to pay attention to both the HTF reviews and Robert Harris's A Few Words About threads to get good info as to if it is a good, bad or somewhere in-between transfer.

Here is a list of all the HTF reviews: http://www.hometheat...eatured_reviews

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 09:04 AM

Thanks! I'll check out that topic!
S&S flims seen: 33

Most Recent:
Solaris/****
Blade Runner/***The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly/****