Question: Novice to Blu-ray....

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dennis Castro, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro Second Unit

I have noticed that some movies are crystal clear and others are grainy. Even within the same movie some scenes will be crystal clear and others grainy. Is this so to factors like the print of the film that wad used on the transfer? The type of film or the camera or lenses that was used during the filming? If so how can you tell if the grainy look is due to how it was filmed or if it is a poor transfer? Thanks!

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Great question Dennis. Yes, all of the above. Keep in mind that film grain is also detail, and sometimes people go overboard to remove the grain removing a lot of the detail too, so the absence of grain can sometimes indicate a poor transfer too. I'd encourage you to pay attention to both the HTF reviews and Robert Harris's A Few Words About threads to get good info as to if it is a good, bad or somewhere in-between transfer.

Here is a list of all the HTF reviews: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/product.php?action=featured_reviews

3. Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro Second Unit

Thanks! I'll check out that topic!