-

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie w/ sub/speaker set-up + Audyssey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   dajanes4

dajanes4

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 19 2011 - 04:14 AM

Hi all, Just purchased Denon AVR1612 and Definitive Tech PC600's.. Read in a manual that I have an option of powering my front LR speakers out of the sub. If I do this can I still run the Audyssey calibration program successfully. Should I just run speakers directly from receiver? Thanks

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts

Posted September 19 2011 - 06:42 AM

I'm not an Audessey expert, but I think not. During calibration the receiver tests the signal from each channel one at a time. Since the receiver won't know how to turn on a channel if it's connected to the sub, it can't calibrate it. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe you'll lose daily use flexibility (not just at set-up) by running the speakers from your sub - for instance, tone control, and depending on the receiver the ability to set the surrounds and rears to small. Unless you had a peculular wiring problem, I'd run the speakers through the receiver.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted September 20 2011 - 12:38 PM

Why run them from the sub? That configuration is only used if you don't have a receiver with internal crossovers. You will lose the ability to treat the sub as its own channel. Check out the Audyssey Guide in my signature for some good tips on getting the most out of your setup.