Newbie w/ sub/speaker set-up + Audyssey

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by dajanes4, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dajanes4

dajanes4 Auditioning

Hi all, Just purchased Denon AVR1612 and Definitive Tech PC600's.. Read in a manual that I have an option of powering my front LR speakers out of the sub. If I do this can I still run the Audyssey calibration program successfully. Should I just run speakers directly from receiver? Thanks

2. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I'm not an Audessey expert, but I think not. During calibration the receiver tests the signal from each channel one at a time. Since the receiver won't know how to turn on a channel if it's connected to the sub, it can't calibrate it. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe you'll lose daily use flexibility (not just at set-up) by running the speakers from your sub - for instance, tone control, and depending on the receiver the ability to set the surrounds and rears to small. Unless you had a peculular wiring problem, I'd run the speakers through the receiver.

3. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Why run them from the sub? That configuration is only used if you don't have a receiver with internal crossovers. You will lose the ability to treat the sub as its own channel. Check out the Audyssey Guide in my signature for some good tips on getting the most out of your setup.