What's new

Surround Setup Noob. (1 Viewer)

MrHardstone

Auditioning
Real Name
Allan
So i've wanted a surround set up for a while (as i'm big into games and movies), but haven't ever seriously looked into it before. So just today i noticed for sale in a local pawn shop an Onkyo TX SR605 for about £110, and after looking at reviews for it online it seems to be pretty good for what i would want to use it for (I just want decent surround sound from my PS3 and Xbox360, while running both at 1080p through HDMI), and it seems to be good value for the money too. As its a pawn shop i'm a bit concerned that if i don't decide quickly enough what to do, the decision will be taken out of my hands anyway. So my question is; is it worth it? Should i take the plunge? I'm pretty sure this particular AVR will cater for my needs, and it seems to be a bargain for the money, but what do the experts think? PS i'm not a complete noob, i know i'll need to factor in cables and speakers too, but speakers won't be a problem, and i'll just get the cheapest cables i can find while i'm out of the house...until payday that is... :P

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
I'll take a crack at this although I'm not nearly as advanced as most of the other users in this forum. Just wanna get the ball rolling for you. Seems like a pretty nice system, and one that I had spotted just a lil over a year ago. Your biggest problem with it (if it's even a problem for you) is the lack of HDMI ports. Even though it upconverts other formats to come out as HDMI (Faroudja) just hooking up say a ps3, and a 360, you're pretty much maxed out. I say this only because I have the HT-S7300, and I've always found "just one more" thing to hook up via HDMI I personally don't know anyone that uses or needs that many composites. Basically, for the price, if it's a shop you can trust, I'd be all over it if it suits your needs. Consider the price of cables, speakers, etc, and if it adds up to the same as say the HT-S6300, or even the 7300, stick to them just for the sheer amount of extra HDMI 1.4 slots as opposed to the two 1.3 slots provided with SR605. Hope this helped.

MrHardstone

Auditioning
Real Name
Allan
See, thats just the thing; at the moment I do only have 2 HDMI devices, as we use the PS3 for movies and videos (DVD, BR and External HDD for downloads. Legal ones of course) and occasionally games, and the Xbox pretty much just for games. The TV has built in Freeview (which i dont think we've ever even used, as we don't ever watch broadcast TV at all) and the Wii (and very very rarely, the PSP) connects through component, so it really does seem this Onkyo is perfect for my current needs. I'm pretty convinced i'm gonna be picking this AVR up after work tomorrow, and to be fair it is dirt cheap, so if i do really dig it and take to the whole surround sound thing (i've heard that its a very addictive lifestyle) there'll always be room for another one down the line. Got some speakers lined up (my Dad got some years and years ago from a warehouse he used to work in). I *think* they're Indigo Three's, though i think they're not made anymore so its hard to find info outside of whats on/in the boxes. But he has 4 of those and 2 Subwoofers. And i know for a fact i can get some speaker cables either from where I work or from the place i'm buying the AVR, so i should have a nice 5.1 setup by this time tomorrow, assuming everything goes fine (everything never goes fine...). I'll let you all know how i get on!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks