Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Airs Announced

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted July 20 2011 - 12:43 AM

Macworld with the goods before the store was even back up. i5's and i7's! Only question...how fast can I get one??

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,001 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 03:23 AM

Macworld with the goods before the store was even back up. i5's and i7's! Only question...how fast can I get one??

Apparently it ships in 24 hours according to the site. I bet the Apple stores either have them today or within 1-2 days max. The new MInis look very capable as well. I still am holding out hope for a new Mac Pro soon. I still think that a Mac Pro with internal RAID setup (not buying the extra RAID card, just using the native OSX RAID support) is better than a Mini with a Promise Thunderbolt RAID array. A maxed out Mini + Promise RAID = $2500, I think I'd rather have a stock Pro at about the same price and stick in three HDs into the empty bays.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,232 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:31 AM

In store tomorrow. I'll report back if I can. If I'm not seen by thursday send the dogs out after me!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,302 posts

Posted July 21 2011 - 07:33 AM

Even thoubi have a maxed out 2010 13" air I,ve wanted an 11" so I ordered the $1199 model. It should be he Friday but I,m currently on vacation in Wildwood NJ so I won't be around to get it
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,232 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 21 2011 - 08:57 AM

Haven't been able to get to a store yet but I'm having second thoughts. For two reasons: -Glossy. -I already have a working laptop and really want to upgrade the Mac Pro first. Will see if I survive the trip to the store or not.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 21 2011 - 11:32 PM

If, like The Doctor, you live in non-sequential time, you can buy your MacBook Air tomorrow second, so long as you make a note to buy a Mac Pro first at some later date... :) Just trying to help out.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,071 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted July 22 2011 - 12:49 PM

FYI, Barefeats has a few benchmarks up on the new Airs. http://www.barefeats.com/mba11_02.html -KeithP
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts

Posted July 22 2011 - 02:36 PM

They missed the obvious takeaway in their summary: their benchmarks are basically GPU tests, as the 2.3 GHz i7 crushes the 2.7 GHz i7 in every test. I did learn that Handbrake offloads to the video card; that's new to me.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,071 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted July 23 2011 - 05:04 AM

Certainly anything that is GPU accelerated will perform better on the 15" MBP. However, the 2.7 GHz i7 in the 13" model is a dual core chip with 4MB L3 cache. The 2.3 GHz i7 available on the 15" is a quad core chip with 8MB L3 cache (the Air CPUs are also dual core chips). Any app/benchmark that makes use of those two extra cores is going to perform better on the 2.3. Also, I don't believe the 2.7 has Intel's turbo boost, although I could be wrong about that, so if the app isn't pushing all cores the speed on the 2.3 will bump up to a possible maximum of 3.4 Ghz giving it an edge as well. -KeithP
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts

Posted July 23 2011 - 06:10 AM

The only differentiator I saw was the GPU (emphasis added). Is it implicit that that the 2.7GHz is a lower-cache 13" model compared to the 2.3 GHz?

2011 MBP 2.3 Core i7 = 2011 MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-Core i7 with 8G of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM and AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU with 1G DDR5 memory
2011 MBP 2.7 Core i7 = 2011 MacBook Pro 2.7GHz dual-Core i7 with 8G of 1333MHz DDR3 and Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU that "borrows" 384M of main memory

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,071 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted July 24 2011 - 04:31 AM

Assuming wikipedia is accurate... The 2.7 is this chip: http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-2_70-GHz) (this does feature turbo boost as it turns out) and the 2.3 is this chip: http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-2_30-GHz) So they both have the same max turbo boost frequency, 3.4Ghz. The big differences seem be the cache, 8M vs 4M, and the cores, 4 cores/8 threads vs 2 cores/4 threads. -KeithP

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts

Posted July 24 2011 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the additional info. With that and other conversations elsewhere about the i7 chip, my impression is you really got to do some homework before buying an i7-system, since performance can vary greatly depending on which variant you get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users