What's new

M1/M2 Mac Observations. (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Honestly I find it a little strange that it is swapping. I've done work on the memory management subsystem in other operating systems and typically with that much free memory we wouldn't start swapping / paging out memory until much more was in use (but very much before running out of memory). I took a snapshot of my M1 Pro Max 64gb laptop and at almost the same usage level mine isn't swapping. A bit perplexing. I thought it might have to do with having memory pressure hit 10% (e.g. double digits) but doing that didn't cause swap memory use to occur on my system as well.

Maybe Ron had something substantially bigger (or a lot of apps/processes/whatever) open/running at some point not so long before that check (and no longer has it/them open/running)... and the system hasn't determined it necessary to return whatever it put into swap space back into main memory yet.

OR maybe there is (also) some kinda memory leak issue on top of that perhaps.

Ron does also mention running a beta version of the OS, which could perhaps meaningfully increase the likelihood of some such issue.

Anyway, 1GB swapped (on a system w/ 64GB main memory and probably a 1-2TB SSD for the main drive) is not that big a deal however that happened, particularly if it happened over fairly long system uptime (of many days perhaps w/ various sleep time or hibernation in between), not soon after initial startup... unless there's indeed some memory bug that could lead to substantially bigger leaks.

WIndoze certainly seems to swap easily/quickly enough w/ 32GB RAM.

Here's a couple-year-old discussion about swapping on MacOS, which probably isn't outdated... and they didn't actually arrive at any real diagnosis/conclusion other than it's probably normal (enough) and nothing to worry about as long no noticeable performance problems, etc (just like I said), LOL:

The gist besides any noticeable performance problems was just stick w/ checking the memory "pressure" gauge, if any laymen care to check, and don't overthink it otherwise (nor try to outsmart the OS or fix what ain't broke). :P

The only single comment there I spotted that might add to what I/we've already said is that MacOS might be swapping a small/modest amount of largely unused data and/or largely idled processes as part of its sleeping/hibernating protocol (and might not return those content/processes back to main memory until actually needed). That would make some sense and might well be happening to Ron if his MBP has indeed gone to sleep (and reawakened) perhaps multiple times (or maybe even just once... I don't know). That might be something not everyone allows their system to do -- I certainly used to not let my Windoze PC go to sleep at all even though I often might not reboot for a month or two (or more)... including not allowing Windoze to update... but I stopped doing that mostly after I switched from HDD to SSD and felt Windoze was handling the sleeping/reawakening reliably and fast enough...

And yeah, I also used to be the kinda nut who might run Windoze w/ VM (ie. swap space) disabled or fixed to some size (as recently as Win XP IIRC), :lol: but no longer... though I'm still the kinda nut who resists updating my OSes for extended periods... NVM running betas like Ron does, LOL... :D:cool:

:cheers:

_Man_

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium
Maybe Ron had something substantially bigger (or a lot of apps/processes/whatever) open/running at some point not so long before that check (and no longer has it/them open/running)... and the system hasn't determined it necessary to return whatever it put into swap space back into main memory yet.

….

_Man_
Bingo. I just woke up with that same thought.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way...

It finally occurred to me that I should apologize to all of you...

The answer to my issue was right in front of my face.

I am using a friggin' beta release. Of course, there are going to be issues with memory and swapping. I am already reading on other Mac groups that there are memory leaks with the latest beta of Sonoma.

So, apologies. Really. It was something I just casually noticed (without having actual issues) and reported here without taking note that I was on a beta release.

Appreciate all of you responding, though.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No worries, Ron.

At least for me, it's a good exercise in investigative troubleshooting (and just using my mind and not letting it rust/rot, LOL), especially since I've been away from that stuff (professionally) for quite some time now. I enjoy such (and had the time)... or I probably wouldn't be responding here, hehheh...

Anyway, it might be a combo of the various things we brought up, including possible memory leak caused by the OS beta...

Anyhoo, TGIF!

:cheers:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks