Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount releases (Gasp!) a 1950's film on Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted August 23 2010 - 04:07 AM

Paramount (who stopped releasing films made during the last century) is releasing "White Christmas" on Nov 2nd

"The Gods must be crazy"

well, I for one, hope "Once Upon a Time in the West" finally gets a blu-ray release if Paramount is listening, what are they waiting for???

#2 of 26 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,894 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

Paramount (who stopped releasing films made during the last century) is releasing "White Christmas" on Nov 2nd

"The Gods must be crazy"

well, I for one, hope "Once Upon a Time in the West" finally gets a blu-ray release if Paramount is listening, what are they waiting for???

...The confidence that a Blu-ray release would sell well enough to make it commercially viable. Here's a potential title for licensing to Criterion, along with DON'T LOOK NOW and ROMEO AND JULIET and SUNSET BLVD and THE DUELLISTS and ...well, the list goes on.

#3 of 26 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,560 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 29 2010 - 08:30 PM

White Christmas Blu-ray will be a blind buy for me.

#4 of 26 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,708 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

I won't buy "blind" but if this turns out to be a high quality BRD, I'll certainly buy it.

#5 of 26 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,553 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 30 2010 - 12:22 AM

Me, too. White Christmas and Scrooge are the first two holiday-themed films I pull off the shelf during the season to get myself in the holiday mood. I watched just a bit of AMC's HD presentation of White Christmas last year and was not impressed, but then I'm not sure they were airing an actual HD transfer.

#6 of 26 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,399 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 29 2010 - 01:54 AM

According to the Blu-ray.com review, it's a VistaVision of loveliness...

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 26 PRO-630HD

PRO-630HD

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 04:14 AM

According to a european site Once Upon a Time in the West is supposed to be released in Jan. of 2011 on bluray.  

#8 of 26 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,592 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 04:23 AM

OH - MY - GOD!

My favorite western coming to Blu-ray.

If it's anything like the DVD it will be a

absolute pleasure to watch.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 26 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,399 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 04:31 AM

It's been rumoured as coming for more than a year now; that European site listing has been there since June (at least).

Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#10 of 26 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,560 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 29 2010 - 06:42 AM

After African Queen I have faith....

#11 of 26 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,399 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 10:02 AM

The Beaver on White Christmas

Film Journal Blog

#12 of 26 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,553 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 29 2010 - 02:14 PM

I really can't wait to see this on my own system. We've had to endure such a mediocre DVD transfer for SO many years.

#13 of 26 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 29 2010 - 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

The Beaver on White Christmas

You know, i had something funny to say. Takin' the high road...just once!

PS. I would be so happy to see Paramount get into some classic Blu-ray releases...War of the Worlds...please!

#14 of 26 RCinOttawa

RCinOttawa

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 02:39 PM

I just hope this is not the beginning of them releasing, rereleasing, and rerereleasing White Christmas, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Ten Commandments, and Funny Face, and NOTHING ELSE, for the next decade...

#15 of 26 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 11:28 PM

Is Paramount finally going to ramp up their Blu-Ray catalog releases?  I heard that they didn't think the stuff they've put out so far sold well enough.  In fact a VERY large number of their older DVD titles are now out of print, so I've been panic-buying the ones I really want- with my luck they'll end up being put on Blu-Ray after all.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#16 of 26 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,975 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 30 2010 - 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

I really can't wait to see this on my own system. We've had to endure such a mediocre DVD transfer for SO many years.

Tell me about it. I own the DVD but have been unable to watch it all the way through because it looks so bad. Finally the situation is rectified.

Originally Posted by RCinOttawa 

I just hope this is not the beginning of them releasing, rereleasing, and rerereleasing White Christmas, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Ten Commandments, and Funny Face, and NOTHING ELSE, for the next decade...

It won't be just that. There'll also be some John Wayne and Elvis movies and Sunset Blvd. And the other Audrey Hepburn films they own. Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#17 of 26 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted October 31 2010 - 04:29 AM

Where's the love for To Catch A Thief?

Perhaps that will be part of a Hitchcock push, or Cary Grant set. But I believe this is the only Hitchcock done at Paramount, so maybe it will be a stand alone release.

#18 of 26 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted October 31 2010 - 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

Where's the love for To Catch A Thief?

Perhaps that will be part of a Hitchcock push, or Cary Grant set. But I believe this is the only Hitchcock done at Paramount, so maybe it will be a stand alone release.

Not only TO CATCH A THIEF but also REAR WINDOW, THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, VERTIGO and PSYCHO  were all made for Paramount. Apart from TO CATCH A THIEF, the rights for the other titles went to Hitchcock (as well as Warner's ROPE), following on from which, apart from PSYCHO, Hitchcock withheld from public showings for very many years until Universal obtained the rights from the Hitchcock estate and gave them all theatrical showings. I've never understood why TO CATCH A THIEF was retained by Paramount - maybe Hitchcock wasn't that keen on the film itself to make him want to buy the rights.

#19 of 26 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted October 31 2010 - 10:06 AM

I stand corrected Doug! I forgot those other Hitchcock's were Paramount films that went to Universal.

I always thought that To Catch a Thief, while atypical, was well loved. We know Mr. Hitchcock very much liked Grace Kelly and Cary Grant too. So you have a good question as to why Paramount retained To Catch a Thief. I just hope it comes out. Posted Image

#20 of 26 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,592 posts

Posted November 01 2010 - 10:07 AM

I don't want to sound a false alarm, and I am
working on getting definitive confirmation....

I don't think Once Upon A Time In The West

is being released domestically next year on

Blu-ray.

As for Scrooge, I have planted the seed with

the powers that be at Paramount while I was

there today.

I should be back soon with a final answer.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users