Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official SHUTTER ISLAND Review Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,149 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 22 2010 - 05:35 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Shutter Island". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 4 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,149 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 22 2010 - 05:43 AM

IMO, it's not one of Scorsese's best films.  I thought it was too long, but found the acting performances very good.  It's one of those films that I would watch only once, not because it's a bad film, but rather the subject matter is too depressing to me. 

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 4 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted February 24 2010 - 02:56 PM

I though the movie started out great and I liked the conclusion and main characters catharsis - but the quite a bit of the middle seemed jumbled and off to me.

There was alot I liked and alot that I thought was eh.

#4 of 4 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted February 27 2010 - 03:23 PM

I found myself too far ahead of the film for it to unfold in a way that would keep my rapt attention, as there were probably too many cues to foreshadow the storyline, but it was intentional and a directorial tightrope to walk that line of dramatic tension in how much to reveal early on, plus those in charge of the marketing of the film should be sent to Shutter Island as well.  But I digress.

Leo really needs to get out of the 1950s in cinema land, lighten up a bit, would ya?

As the film just spirals in darker and darker territory, the film does pick up steam, and then it decompresses for its impact to settle, Scorsese's pacing is well done, though it's not a film that many people will want to revisit due to its subject matter.   Overall, the acting is fine, the filmmaking is fine, though some of the score was overtly and intentionally hamfisted at the start, but I supposed it was done in an exaggerated supportive manner.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users