Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly Roundup 12-1-2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,864 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 28 2009 - 03:55 PM

Posted Image

The Features

Posted Image
– Christian Bale (Terminator Salvation – 2009)

Posted Image
– Amy Adams (Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian – 2009)

Posted Image
–Gimme Shelter – 1970

Posted Image
Catherine Deneuve (A Christmas Tale – 2008)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan & Mr. Jingles  (The Green Mile – 1999)

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF
SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyTargetCostco
Ben 10: Alien Swarm$13.99$14.99  
Better Off Ted: Season 1$19.99$19.99  
The Brooklyn Heist$27.49   
The Boy with the Sun in His Eyes$26.99$24.99  
A Christmas Tale (CC)$29.99$32.99  
The Complete Loves Comes Softly Collection$69.99$89.99  
Deadline$17.49$14.99  
Death Warrior$17.99$19.99  
The Donna Reed Show: Season 3$32.99$34.99  
Frat Party$16.99$14.99  
The Girl in the Park$17.49$14.99  
Into the Storm: Churchill at War$16.99$19.99  
The Jazz Singer (1980) (30th Anniversary Edition)$9.98$8.99  
Mental: Season 1$36.99$36.99  
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Choo Choo Train$15.99$19.99  
Mystery Science Theater 3000 XVI (Limited Edition)$41.99$49.99  
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (1-disc)$9.99$18.99$15.99 
Night at the Museum: Battle/Smithsonian SE (2-disc)$22.99$22.99$22.99 
Paper Heart$16.99$16.99  
Ride Around the World (IMAX)$17.99$17.99  
Saturday Night Live: Season 5$44.99$59.99  
Silent Night, Deadly Night Box Set (3-disc)----------$14.99  
**Terminator Salvation$9.99$15.99$15.99 
Terminator Salvation DE (Target Exclusive)  $22.99 
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF
BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyTargetCostco
Ben 10: Alien Swarm$19.99$19.99  
A Christmas Tale (CC)$26.99$29.99  
Deadline$18.99$13.59  
Death Warrior$19.99$19.99  
Gimme Shelter (CC)$23.99$23.99  
The Green Mile$19.99$23.99  
Gremlins$19.99$19.99  
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels$17.99$19.99  
The Mask of Zorro$15.99$15.99  
The Mask of Zorro/The Legend of Zorro$33.99$35.99  
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian$18.99$22.99$19.99 
Night at the Museum Two Film Pack$67.49   
Paper Heart$26.99$26.99  
Ride Around the World (IMAX)$19.99$15.99  
Secondhand Lions$18.99$19.99  
Snatch$17.99$19.99  
Terminator Salvation (Director's Cut)$15.99$19.99$19.99$25.99
The Wizard of Oz (3-disc)$36.99$35.99  

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

The Complete Love Comes Softly Collection (DVD):  Love Comes Softly, Love's Enduring Promise, Love's Long Journey, Love's Abiding Joy, Love's Unbinding Legacy, Love's Unfolding Dream, Love Takes Wing, Love Finds a Home.

Silent Night, Deadly Night Box Set (DVD):  Silent Night, Deadly Night III, IV & V.

Night at the Museum Two Pack (Blu-ray): Night at the Museum, NatM: Battle of the Smithsonian.

The Disclaimer
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--BE CAREFUL!!!  I almost forgot how to post this (what used to be a regular) WARNING.  It has been months between MAR'd releases!  That's the good news.  The bad news is that Terminator Salvation is being released this week in both MAR & OAR DVD editions.  Get the right one!
--ALSO, Best Buy's EXCLUSIVE release of the Blu-ray disc of The Green Mile and Target's EXCLUSIVE Blu-ray release of Gremlins and The Wizard of Oz (3-disc) are...no longer exclusive.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

--And people should be aware that if they are interested in the two-disc SE of NatM: Battle of the Smithsonian, they should be on the lookout for a side-by-side "Holiday Gift Set" with the 2nd disc being in its own case and called "Monkey Mischief."

--The usual price discrepancies, this week, between the Best Buy flyer and bestbuy.com on a number of new release titles .  So, if you are thinking of picking up a title at your local store, you MAY want to consider doing a purchase on BB.com and an in-store pickup.

--Best Buy, this week, has EXCLUSIVE PACKAGING for its Blu-ray copies of Terminator Salvation (a Terminator Salvation Endoskull Blu-ray case).  While supplies last.  Minimum 4 per store.  No rainchecks.  

--At Best Buy, you can also get a FREE COPY OF TERMINATOR MACHINIMA ($4.99) when you purchase the Terminator Salvation video game (Xbox $19.99).  Must be purchased on same receipt.

--The following Gift Sets are on sale for $39.99 apiece @ Best Buy PLUS BUY 2 and get a $25 BB GIFTCARD INSTANTLY.  BUY 3 and get a $50 BB GIFTCARD INSTANTLY:  Fox War Hero Collection (Patton, Behind Enemy Lines, Rescue Dawn), Rocky - The Complete Set, X-Men Trilogy, Fox Searchlight Collection (Juno, Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler), 007 Blu-ray collection (The World is Not Enough, Goldfinger, Moonraker).  More in store and online.

--Also at Best Buy, the following Blu-ray titles are on sale:

$9.99:  The Day the Earth Stood Still, Donnie Darko, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Patton, Risky Business, In the Valley of Elah, The Pelican Brief, A Time to Kill.

$12.99:  The Monster Squad, My Bloody Valentine, The Ninth Gate, Requiem for a Dream.

$14.99:  Dogma, Ghost Rider, A Knight's Tale, The Pink Panther (2006).

--Best Buy also has a deal to buy 5 DVDs from a list of 22 $9.99 titles and get a FREE $20 Best Buy GIFTCARD INSTANTLY.  More in store and online.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  Best Buy has a slew of holiday titles listed for sale.

--Target, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE DELUXE EDITION of Terminator Salvation.  No clue as to what's included except at the top of the packaging it says "2-disc Digital Copy Special Edition."   Only at Target.  Quantities limited.  No rainchecks.

--Target.com has a number of single-season TV series on DVD for just $15.  Titles shown include NCIS, Charlie's Angels, Bewitched, Dora the Explorer, That '70s Show and Roseanne.  Titles shown and over 100 more.  Regular $24.95 to $49.95.   They are also advertising "Multipack Movies."  Many titles to choose from.  $20  Online only.

--Target also lists the following DVDs for $14.99:  The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009), Wolverine, Attack of the Aliens, I Love You Beth Cooper.

--Target Odds and Ends: A List of $10 titles. and $8.99 DVD Gift Sets.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,848 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 04:14 PM

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$9.99 each:
Alvin and the Chipmunks
A Night at the Museum
Marley & Me

$9.99 each (buy 5 and get a $20 BB gift card):
Babylon A.D.
Spider-man 3
Mamma Mia!
Wanted
3:10 to Yuma
Jumper
Max Payne
Office Space
Punisher: War Zone
Mirros
Transporter 3
The Forbidden Kingdon
Death Race (Statham)
Back to the Future
The Big Lebowski
Tales of Despereaux
27 Dresses
Ghandi
Incredible Hulk
Role Models Unrated
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Snatch

$19.99 each:
Bring it On: Fight to the Finish
Fast and Furious
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
I Love You Beth Cooper

Christmas-related DVDs:

$9.99 each:
elf
Home Alone
Miracle on 34th Street
Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer

$14.99 each:
Fred Claus
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Muppet Christmas
A Christmas Carol

Santa Buddies $19.99

The Santa Clause trilogy $29.99

Disney Princess 3-DVD pack $19.99
Disney Holiday 3-DVD pack $29.99
Disney Dogs 3-DVD pack $29.99
Disney High School Musical 3-DVD pack $39.99
Disney Concert 3-DVD pack $39.99

TV On DVD

Gift Sets:

$39.99
Fox Ware

Blu-ray:

$9.99 each:
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original)
Donnie Darko
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Patton
Risky Business
The Valley of Elah
The Pelican Brief
A Time to Kill

$12.99 each:
The Monster Squad
My Bloody Valentine
The Ninth Gate
Requiem for a Dream

$14.99 each:
Dogma
Ghost Rider
A Knight's Tale
The Pink Panther (Steve Martin)

$19.99 each:
Alvin and the Chipmunks
A Night at the Museum
Marley & Me

Bruno $19.99
Angels and Demons $24.99
Star Trek $29.99

$39.99 each:
Fox War Hero Collection
Rocky: The Complete Saga
Fox Searchlight vol. 1
X-Men trilogy
007: James Bond vol. 3

The Polar Express $19.99
How the Grinch Stole Christmas $24.99

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$10 each:
Ice Age
Alvin and the chipmunks
A Night at the Museum
Horton Hears a Who

$14.99 each:
The Taking of Pelham 123
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Aliens in the Attic
I Love You, Beth Cooper

Gift sets:

$6.99 each:
WWII
John Wayne

$8.99 each:
Superman 1-4
Batman 1-4
Police Academy 1-4?
Ocean's Eleven/Twelve/Thirteen

Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum $16.99
Jurassic Park 1-3 $12.99

TV on DVD:

$15 each: (Online only)
NCIS
Charlie's Angels
Betwitched
Dora the Explorer
That 70's Show
Roseanne

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 10:19 PM

A movie made in 1980 is getting a 30th Anniversary edition??  Where DOES the time go?

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen ">

A movie made in 1980 is getting a 30th Anniversary edition??  Where DOES the time go?

Christmas (shopping) seems to start earlier and earlier each year, so why not movie anniversaries too? <br /></span>
<br />
_Man_<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class= Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 12:29 AM

After participating in the "National Day of Insanity" Festivities this past Friday, once again I'm as poor as a Church Mouse!/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif"> "Dealer Cards" notwithstanding, my next round of purchases will most likely be with my "Santa Claus" Money after Christmas.

<br />

</div>

<div class=

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 29 2009 - 12:39 AM

The BB site says the original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still on BD is $9.99 with the Keanu Reeves abomination $15.99.  I'll be grabbing the original come Thursday.  And The Mask of Zorro.  I've always enjoyed the Zorro flicks.  But I'll need to wait until late in the week so I can see the ads for next week first...

Thanks gents... 

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for the roundup.  Having just gone blu I'm picking up Terminator: Salvation, Night At The Museum 2 & a pair of titles I refused to buy on flipper dvds (Pelican Brief & A Time To Kill).  

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,190 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 29 2009 - 05:12 AM

I'll be picking up Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volume XVI.

Thanks for the prices, guys! 

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,848 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 05:47 AM

Added the Best Buy catalog titles on sale for this week.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 08:51 AM

"--Best Buy, this week, has EXCLUSIVE PACKAGING for its Blu-ray copies of Terminator Salvation (a Terminator Salvation Endoskull Blu-ray case).  While supplies last.  Minimum 4 per store.  No rainchecks.  "

I believe this is the case. It was originally molded to be a case to store all the films in the series, but that did not happen, so disregard the discs that are shown next to it. IMO it looks kinda plastic and cheap, not as impressive as the chrome skull from the Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set (which also had a neck and a larger base).

Posted Image

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,493 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 11:27 PM

Target.com started something new this week.  For the past few years they have offered grocery coupons on their site but this week they've expanded it to include almost every department in the store!  Included are coupons for $5 off ANY BD purchase of $5 or more (expires 12/24), 10% off iPods and $50 off a 42" or larger TV.  You have to download the coupon printer;  the link on the Target.com page (located at the very bottom) still reads "Grocery Coupons" but on the left is a listing of other departments offering coupons to choose from.

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,315 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted November 30 2009 - 06:48 AM

I've used the Target $5 off BD coupon and it works. The picture on the coupon is Transformers:Fallen (whatever), but there's no wording that says it's exclusive to that disc, so just ask the clerk to apply it to other disc, or override. I got The Prestige on BD for $9.99. I'll try it again later this week.

coupons.target.com/mcp/pd.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSchulz View Post

Target.com started something new this week.  For the past few years they have offered grocery coupons on their site but this week they've expanded it to include almost every department in the store!  Included are coupons for $5 off ANY BD purchase of $5 or more (expires 12/24), 10% off iPods and $50 off a 42" or larger TV.  You have to download the coupon printer;  the link on the Target.com page (located at the very bottom) still reads "Grocery Coupons" but on the left is a listing of other departments offering coupons to choose from.

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 01:17 PM

Printed the Target coupon for use with Night at the Museum 2.

$19.99 Target Sale Price
-$5.00 Internet Coupon
-$4.00 Post Cereals Rebate (from a box of Fruity Pebbles I bought)
$10.99 (+ tax)

Not bad at all for a brand new release !!

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 30 2009 - 02:26 PM

For those using Target Coupon site and Win 7 -- so far this isn't compatible with IE or Firefox browsers in native Win7 mode.   If you change Firefox to use XP compatibility it will work (Right click browser to Properties to  Compatibility submenu, etc)    The coupon site limits you to 2 coupons (per computer) though with a quick Google search you can find some sites with pdf which can be used -- unlike Manufacturers coupons these aren't individually numbered so this should be OK.

Some people have been limited to one coupon per purchase though others have been able/allowed to use multiple coupons per purchase 9one coupon per BluRay).   Some store managers have allowed it only for Transformers 2 since there is a picture of TF2 which is pretty obviously supposed to sued as an example of a Bluray rather than a TF exclusive.  Target coupons are usually pretty specific in the text about which products it is supposed to used for (or not).

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,596 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 30 2009 - 02:29 PM

Haven't been able to get the coupon to print on a Mac with either Firefox or Safari. It just hangs there after approving the certificate.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,493 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Norman View Post

Some store managers have allowed it only for Transformers 2 since there is a picture of TF2 which is pretty obviously supposed to sued as an example of a Bluray rather than a TF exclusive.  Target coupons are usually pretty specific in the text about which products it is supposed to used for (or not).

The text of the coupon states:
$5 off Blu-Ray disc purchase of $5 or more (then the usual disclaimers: one coupon per transaction, etc.)

I would fight this one

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 01 2009 - 01:00 AM

I agree and had a slight discussion with one clerk about using the coupon.   Manager allowed me to use it, but only allowed me to buy one movie since it does say one per transaction.   Apparently they still said held to "One coupon per day."   If there had been something I was particularly interested in I would have gone to a different register since I wasn't in a hurry, but since most of the prices had gone back to normal daily (mostly MRSP) and most of the discounted discs I either already have or don't want it wasn't worth it.   

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   terry deto

terry deto

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationJackson,MI

Posted December 01 2009 - 01:53 AM

"--Best Buy, this week, has EXCLUSIVE PACKAGING for its Blu-ray copies of Terminator Salvation (a Terminator Salvation Endoskull Blu-ray case).  While supplies last.  Minimum 4 per store.  No rainchecks.  "

Major disappointment this morning as this is a flat, bug eyed holder like the past ones at target.

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 03:43 AM

Wife went to Target today and they had Night at the Museum 2 for $24.99 instead of the $19.99 that is listed in the roundup.  Has anyone else experienced this?? 

EDIT: Viewed the Target printed ad, and it does not specifically list a price for the Blu Ray version and only says, "Blu-ray Low Price".  The Target online price is only $18.99, but the kicker to that is that in-store Target WILL NOT MATCH Target.com prices (a crock, IMHO.)  So am I stuck paying $24.99 (-$5.00 coupon) for this?

Where is the Roundup price from?

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic ">

I've used the Target $5 off BD coupon and it works. The picture on the coupon is Transformers:Fallen (whatever), but there's no wording that says it's exclusive to that disc, so just ask the clerk to apply it to other disc, or override. I got The Prestige on BD for $9.99. I'll try it again later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Norman ">

Some people have been limited to one coupon per purchase though others have been able/allowed to use multiple coupons per purchase 9one coupon per BluRay).   Some store managers have allowed it only for Transformers 2 since there is a picture of TF2 which is pretty obviously supposed to sued as an example of a Bluray rather than a TF exclusive.  Target coupons are usually pretty specific in the text about which products it is supposed to used for (or not).