What's new

Weekly Roundup 12-1-2009 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Nathan*W ">[/url]

EDIT: Viewed the Target printed ad, and it does not specifically list a price for the Blu Ray version and only says, "Blu-ray Low Price". The Target online price is only $18.99, but the kicker to that is that in-store Target WILL NOT MATCH Target.com prices (a crock, IMHO.) So am I stuck paying $24.99 (-$5.00 coupon) for this?

Where is the Roundup price from?[/QUOTE]Here's a scan of Target's ad:

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

Haven't been able to get the coupon to print on a Mac with either Firefox or Safari. It just hangs there after approving the certificate.
That's weird...I was able to print from within Safari on my MBP after clicking on "Allow" when the certificate window popped up.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Night at the Mueum 2 blu ray combo pack was $24.99 at my Target too (& I got the last one). Glad I had the coupon for $5 off (no problem using it). I'm sure Mike guessed at the "low price" and they didn't have it as low as their website. Rest of my purchases (T4, Pelican Brief & Time To Kill) are all due to arrive tomorrow from Amazon because of my free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nathan*W

Wife went to Target today and they had Night at the Museum 2 for $24.99 instead of the $19.99 that is listed in the roundup. Has anyone else experienced this??

Where is the Roundup price from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers

I believe that Mike makes an educated guess on pricing in these instances based on past practices of a particular retailer. I know that in the past when a Target ad states "Blu-ray, Low Price" on a new release and another new BD release states a price, the "Low Price" title is generally the same price as the stated price title (but not always).

This "Blu-ray, Low Price" ad gives Target the ability to adjust pricing regionally based on competitor's prices. I'm curious to hear what prices others are seeing on the Night at the Museum 2 BD at their local Targets.
Originally Posted by Bill Thomann

Night at the Mueum 2 blu ray combo pack was $24.99 at my Target too (& I got the last one). Glad I had the coupon for $5 off (no problem using it). I'm sure Mike guessed at the "low price" and they didn't have it as low as their website.
You guys are all correct. I think this is the first time (if not ever, certainly in ages) that the above technique hasn't held true-to-form.

Retailers have been extremely consistent about not advertising a numeric price in an ad (due to likely agreements with the studios/distributors) but instead printing "Low Price" and then, with a wink, placing the "Low Price" right next to another title with that same price.

I'm sorry it didn't work out this time. Especially sorry to Nathan and anyone else who was misdirected by my OP.

In a few weeks, I'll be starting my sixth year of compiling the RoundUp and I can't remember the last time I got "caught" on taking that (what I thought was an educated) guess.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Mike-

A visit to my Union, NJ Costco this morning showed the Terminator Salvation BD Director's Cut at $18.99. The standard edition is only $2 less. A good deal on a mediocre movie.

Thanks for continuing to do a great job. I never shop until I consult the Roundup.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

And thanks for another roundup even though I should already be all set for this week -- already preordered Mask of Zorro BD from a while ago when Amazon had it for $13.99, and bought the WoOz BD from Target last Friday for $12.99. May pick up a couple of others later if/when they get discounted a good deal more...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
FYI - the BestBuy.com site has Terminator Salvation Blu for $15.99 so I was able to pricematch that in-store. I could not find the Mask of Zorro online at Bestbuy for any less than $19.99 which is what it is in-store, so I paid that price for it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

[[SIZE= smaller]Man bites lip and vows he'll NEVER own Terminator Salvation...just to spite Mike![/SIZE]]

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Quote:

Retailers have been extremely consistent about not advertising a numeric price in an ad (due to likely agreements with the studios/distributors) but instead printing "Low Price" and then, with a wink, placing the "Low Price" right next to another title with that same price.
I might also suspect that a secondary reason may be that they don't want folks to use their ads in order to price-match at a competitor store (since many stores require that you have the actual ad as proof), thus potentially losing sales.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All my local Targets had Museum 2 at 24.99. I though Walmart was the only retailer that didn't match there own website, but wrong again.
Recently my Targets have always had the same price as the Web even if they dropped the price late and had to put up "Now lower than advertised" signs, but not for this disc. I tried to price match the $22.99 price at BB and then use the coupon, but the manager nixed that and said she would PM only after she deducted the coupon which then was 19.99 (honestly couldn't really argue with her on that point but I tried mildly to change her mind). I've bought enough Free after coupon CFL bulbs and used enough double coupons (Target+Manufac) that I've certainly dinged them for far more than the $5-6 over the last month. Maybe they'll drop the price before Christmas and I can get a couple extras.

Hit several stores picking up several of the cheapie stocking filler type Blu's. I got various reactions on the coupon -- one place took several at once without question, one store limited me to one per transaction and wouldn't split it up giving me the only one per day line, another let me split up the transactions so that it was one coupon per transaction (gift card made it much easier). I think 2 in a single store was the most I tried to keep the radar lower. Take that back -- one store had a pretty cool 20-something guy in the Electronics section who let me buy 5 at once without blinking. I suspected he had used or at least knew about the coupon as he had no problems overriding the register when it wouldn't automatically attach itself to a disc.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
I was going to pull the trigger on Night at the Museum 2 BD at Amazon earlier today, but Amazon "hiked" the price to $19.99! I just checked again, and now it's back at $18.99 so I placed my order (using the HTF link). Walmart.com has it priced at $17.9x today and I was hoping that Amazon would match it, but I guess not (at least not yet).

A nice surprise is that Amazon is using a 7pm (PST) cutoff (at least on this item) for a Thursday delivery (two-day with Prime). Usually if I place an order this late, it would not have been delivered until Friday (having already missed the shipping cutoff for today).

And a big thanks to Mike as always for putting the Weekly RoundUp together week in and week out - it is very much appreciated!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for the tip on the Target coupon -- I got their very last copy of Star Trek on BD with the Enterprise statue case for $20! :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yes, thank you for that Target grocery coupon. I got X-Men BluRay for about $13, and I'm going to go back and get X-Men 2 BluRay later on with another coupon.

Was tempted to get Terminator BluRay for $6, but I know they're working on a better edition of it, so I did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks