-

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• Please log in to reply
4804 replies to this topic

#4441 of 4805 williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 02:30 PM

Always happy to see more Cagney films!

#4442 of 4805 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,439 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Rob, and you purchased Jimmy Stewart directly from the Warner Archive?

Yes, I purchased it directly from Warner Archive on release day.

#4443 of 4805 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:16 PM

SO HAPPY ABOUT "smiling through" and "Barrets of Wimpole"! Two new best picture nominees!!!!

So greatfull I sent a heartfelt message to warner archives on their Facebook page asking about "test pilot", "Disraeli", "trader Horn", and other best pic Noms. I got a generic reply, but they said "more of my favorites are on the way!"

Best pic Noms aren't my favorites, I just collect them, but... I hope they do release more of them soon.
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#4444 of 4805 Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 09:07 AM

I'm annoyed by the months-long desert of animation releases. If these were truly among the most profitable and popular of WAC releases, you'd think we would have seen or heard something, ANYTHING by now.

They hate cartoons.

#4445 of 4805 PODER

PODER

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 12:03 PM

POPULAR

Dear Ken ... "They hate cartoons." Isn't that going a bit overboard? They seem to go in cycles, and right now we're seeing more old classics released. I've been called out for posting "Yawn" after a dearth of films in which I was interested, and rightly so. I'd be very surprised if more cartoons aren't in the offing. Good things do come to those who wait ...

• Suzanne.S, ahollis and JoHud like this

#4446 of 4805 davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 445 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted February 05 2014 - 01:16 PM

The films noir are all pretty good, esp. if you are a George Raft fan. Nocturne has a particularly noirish opening, reminiscent of the opening shot of Black Angel.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#4447 of 4805 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted February 05 2014 - 01:52 PM

Good things do come to those who wait ...

Vitaphone Shorts, Warner Brothers Shorts, MGM Shorts, RKO Radio Shorts.

• ahollis likes this

#4448 of 4805 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,709 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 05 2014 - 03:03 PM

Vitaphone Shorts, Warner Brothers Shorts, MGM Shorts, RKO Radio Shorts.

Unfortunantly Warner does not own the RKO shorts. They were sold off to a company named Guild Films in the 50's and were then licensed to local TV stations. Guild has been absorbed over the years and the films that are not in public domain reside in some family trust. That does not know what they own or care.
  • Doug Bull likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4449 of 4805 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,512 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunantly Warner does not own the RKO shorts. They were sold off to a company named Guild Films in the 50's and were then licensed to local TV stations. Guild has been absorbed over the years and the films that are not in public domain reside in some family trust. That does not know what they own or care.

Thanks Allen,

That is indeed disappointing news.

RKO did make some really entertaining shorts.

They used directors such as George Stevens, Mark Sandrich and Jean Yarbrough.

Stars included Betty Grable, Ruth Etting and Tony Martin among others.

Of course the Edgar Kennedy and the Leon Errol comedies were gems.

I've a feeling that some of the Leon Errol shorts were released on DVD a while back.

Maybe the RKO Shorts will emerge at some time.

One can only hope.

Doug.

• ahollis likes this

#4450 of 4805 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,149 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 05 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've a feeling that some of the Leon Errol shorts were released on DVD a while back.

They have some releases on DVD from VCI and Alpha/Gotham (as recently as November 2013), which means they are either public domain or assumed to be.

http://www.filmaf.co...on errol*rgn_us

Edited by Brandon Conway, February 05 2014 - 04:49 PM.

• ahollis likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4451 of 4805 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,512 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 04:43 PM

They've have some releases on DVD from VCI and Alpha/Gotham (as recently as November 2013), which means they are either public domain or assumed to be.

http://www.filmaf.co...on errol*rgn_us

Thanks Brandon.

"I've a feeling that some of the Leon Errol shorts were released on DVD a while back"

You know you have too many DVDs when you forget what you already have.

A quick search found The Leon Errol Two-Reeler Comedy Collection already in my DVD collection.

Being public Domain the shorts are generally very soft with less than perfect sound.

leon2.jpg leon1.jpg

It would be terrific if Warner Archives could obtain and release these shorts using pristine source material.

Doug. 

#4452 of 4805 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,615 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yes, most of the RKO shorts that get released do so by being (presumably) PD.  Unlike some other PD content most of the RKO short DVD offerings are almost always of poor quality.  However, this is likely all we'll ever get barring some massive collectors' effort.

It would be great if WB managed to buy out the license holders.  At least then there would be some hope of getting definitive releases of these from their source elements.  But that will probably never happen.

#4453 of 4805 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,144 posts

Posted February 06 2014 - 03:23 PM

In the mid-'80's, Orion Television was trying to sell a syndicated family series called "THAT'S FUNNY," which was conceived around a package of RKO comedy shorts. As such, I am inclined to believe that they are now in MGM's hands.

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#4454 of 4805 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,709 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 06 2014 - 03:34 PM

In the mid-'80's, Orion Television was trying to sell a syndicated family series called "THAT'S FUNNY," which was conceived around a package of RKO comedy shorts. As such, I am inclined to believe that they are now in MGM's hands.

I have heard that, and you are probably correct. The shorts changed many hands over the years since RKO sold them. But MGM having control is not a comforting thought.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4455 of 4805 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,710 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 09:59 PM

AHEAD OF TODAY'S ANNOUNCEMENT...

Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 4/2/2013
WARNER ARCHIVE HOME   •    NEW RELEASES   •   BESTSELLING DVDs   •    FORWARD TO A FRIEND
New Releases: Keaton Talks & Marine Boy Walks
FREE AND EASY (1930)
With Buster Keaton, Fred Astaire, Elenor Parker, Doris Day, Danny Thomas, Linda Hunt, Mel Gibson, Robin Williams & Neptina
Not enough info here? Stuff your head with the factoids found in our weekly Warner Archive Collection New Release Podcast to impress your friends and amaze the uninformed! Available on iTunes!
Stone Face En Espa隳l!
FREE AND EASY/ESTRELLADOS BUSTER KEATON DUAL LANGUAGE DOUBLE FEATURE (1930) It’s Buster’s Talkie debut with a special “as you’ve never heard it before” bonus! Keaton skewers Hollywood itself with the tale of a wannabe starlet (Anita Page) that arrives in Tinseltown with some extra baggage — an over-protective mother (Trixie Friganza) and an even more over-protective gas station attendant (Keaton). A coterie of star cameos make an appearance, and co-starring Robert Montgomery who plays a “Latin lover,” no less!
BONUS FEATURE: Free and Easy is now paired with its Spanish language version, Estrellados (1930) complete with English captions. Rarely seen since its initial overseas release, Estrellados is a prime example of the once customary practice of “parallel production” that helped Hollywood market their fare overseas during the silent-to-sound transition. It’s a fully alternative version of the film, shot simultaneously with Free and Easy on the same sets but with Buster alongside a totally different Spanish speaking cast. ¡Viva la Comedia!
In a Flash, He'll Foil the Foe!
MARINE BOY (1966-67)
MARINE BOY: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (1966-67) Marine Boy returns for a second volume of classic ’American anime’ adventures! Operating out of the Ocean Patrol Marine Headquarters, superscientist Dr. Mariner outfits his stalwart son with all the aquatic accoutrements needed to keep the seas safe for all mankind. From Oxy-Gum and bulletproof wet suit, to flying subs and propeller shoes, Marine Boy has what it takes to face a variety of fearsome foes above and below the ocean’s surface. Dive deep into this 3-Disc, 26-Episode Collection with villains like Skwid, Stormbrane, Count Shark, Professor Beelzebub and Captain Wraith and more who must learn to beware the boomerang of Marine Boy as he cruises the sea aboard the submarine P-1 alongside little Clicli, Professor Fumble, mermaid Neptina, dolphin best friend Splasher, and Ocean Patrol agents Bullton and Piper. As the title song tells you, “he’s a very special boy!”
WB-ack in Print
BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940 (1940) Norman Taurog and MGM nabbed the unpartnered Fred Astaire and paired him up with terpsichorean titaness Eleanor Powell to end up with the most sublime piece of tap ever recorded on celluloid. Astaire plays ace hoofer Johnny Brett whose best pal King Shaw (George Murphy) accidentally hones in on Johnny’s big break and gets to dance alongside Broadway star Clare Bennett (Powell). The film is iridescent with sparkling Cole Porter tunes including “Begin the Beguine’s” moment of tap transcendence. Also includes featurette “Hollywood: Begin the Beguine” and the Our Gang short “The Big Premiere”.
I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS (1951)
I’LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS (1951) Doris Day and Danny Thomas play Gus and Grace LeBoy Kahn in this affectionate, human and humane musical biopic about the man behind the pop songs that defined a generation. “It Had to Be You,” “Makin’ Whoopee” and “Love Me or Leave Me” are among the 23 song Kahn cavalcade that depicts Kahn’s meteoric rise to the top of the charts and his crashing fall, along with Wall Street, in 1929. Directed with the pitch-perfect precision from the great Michael Curtiz. Also includes a vintage short, The Screen Director and the Looney Tunes classic, Lovelorn Leghorn.
THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY (1982) Peter Weir’s adventure romance, set against the Indonesian revolution of 1965, made a superstar out of Mel Gibson and brought the world’s attention to the astonishing talent of Linda Hunt. Gibson plays Guy Hamilton, a rather sallow and shallow foreign correspondent covering the chaos while Hunt plays his translator and guide, Billy Kwan. Kwan acts as a Virgil to Hamilton’s Dante, leading him from the hell of journalistic indifference to compassion and his Beatrice, diplomatic attache Jill Bryant (Sigourney Weaver).
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP (1982) Robin Williams proved his brilliance extended beyond improvisation with his leading dramatic role in this adaptation of the beloved John Irving classic, “The World According to Garp.” Williams plays T.S. Garp, novelist son of strident feminist Jenny Fields (Glenn Close), who must wrestle his way through a life full of gender politics, parenthood, adultery, tragedy and recovery as he searches for his place. John Lithgow’s performance as Roberta Muldoon, a transgender NFL Pro, cemented his place as one of the character greats.
Like Snow? How About Laughs?
Check out the 15th Annual Telluride Comedy Fest featuring an assortment of stars from our favorite comedy series OF ALL EXISTENCE, Childrens Hospital! And this year we’re punch pleased to sponsor the improv on the icy slopes! How? VIP Table tickets and assorted DVD giveaways including Childrens Hospital S4 and The Unsinkable Molly Brown will be awarded to lucky Telluride residents and visitors! As Rob Corddry (The Daily Show, Hot Tub Time Machine) said, “I will continue to attend [Telluride Comedy Festival] until I die.” And since he’s not dead, see him there along with Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel, Wyatt Cenac, Nick Kroll, Jamie Denbo and Jessica Chaffin aka Ronna and Beverly, Brian Huskey, Jason Mantzoukas, and Seth Morris. For info click here or tune into KOTO!
BOSTON'S 24 HOUR SCI-FI MOVIE MARATHON
This President’s Day Weekend, we’re happy to co-sponsor Boston’s 39th annual Sci-Fi Film Festival at the Somerville Theatre that concludes 24 hour marathon of out of this world cinema — including several films you can find on Warner Archive like The World, the Flesh and the Devil and The Power. Check the site for a full schedule of events and tickets!
ROLLING OUT THE WATCH LIST ON INSTANT
We just updated our Warner Archive Instant Roku app to include a Watch List which helps keep track of what films and TV shows among the hundreds available that you'd like to see in a very easy way. And if you use a PC/Mac or iPad, hold on — forthcoming updates will include a Watch List that will help coordinate viewing among different devices. And if you don’t have Warner Archive Instant yet, and you like the kinds of stuff in this newsletter, why don’t you try it FREE for 2 weeks and see what we’re talking about?
FREE AND EASY/ESTRELLADOS BUSTER KEATON DUAL LANGUAGE DOUBLE FEATURE (1930)
MARINE BOY: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (1966-67)
BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940
I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS
THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP
WarnerArchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Muchacho Marinero!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0204WACNRAeml&ref=EW0211A&utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EWACNR140211

---------------------------------------------------------

© 2014 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4456 of 4805 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,615 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 10:12 PM

Whaaaat?  They actually released the Spanish version of Free and Easy?  Now there's a rarely seen Keaton film, and a real reason to double dip.

• Suzanne.S likes this

#4457 of 4805 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted February 11 2014 - 12:37 AM

Same here. Keaton in Spanish. What a treat for me! Double dip indeed!

#4458 of 4805 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 08:14 AM

Coming on February 18.  Up for pre-ordering...

Vitaphone Shemp 2.jpg

Samuel “Shemp Howard” Horowitz wrote his own rules for comedy from the very beginning. Heckling his way into brother Moe’s “rough house” act with Ted Healy, Shemp was an original Stooge. After Larry Fine filled out the team, fame beckoned, but Shemp balked at playing second banana to Healy and lit out on his own as a Vitaphone player. Shemp quickly rose from bit parts in shorts like Gobs of Fun to supporting player alongside Daphne Pollard and Harry Gribbon (and even pro baseball’s famous Dean brothers), and went on to steal the show in the Joe Palooka series based on the hit comic strip. Shemp’s character of Knobby Walsh quickly became the comedic center of the series, and Shemp emerged as a new king of comedy. Hollywood beckoned Shemp away from the east coast confine of Vitaphone out west, where he carved out a comfortable spot as a film comedian until fare and fate and family compelled him to return to his roots in The Three Stooges. Here’s to Shemp!

#4459 of 4805 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,615 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 09:45 AM

Coming on February 18.  Up for pre-ordering...

Vitaphone Comedy Collection Volume 2: Shemp Howard 1933-1937? Sold!

There are also three more for preorder, 2 Joan Crawfords, Our Blushing Brides and I Live My Life, and the long, looong awaited release of What Price Hollywood? which is no doubt newly and painstakingly remastered as it had been outspokenly passed over due to poor elements over the years.

• Suzanne.S likes this

#4460 of 4805 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,149 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 11 2014 - 12:00 PM

Whaaaat?  They actually released the Spanish version of Free and Easy?  Now there's a rarely seen Keaton film, and a real reason to double dip.

Makes me wish the movie wasn't so outright terrible...

• Suzanne.S likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users