Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4698 replies to this topic

#4081 of 4699 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,723 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 09:37 AM

Has anyone seen the Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 7 set?  The WA description says the set was remastered and I was wondering how good it looks (particularly Employees Enterance and Skyscraper Souls).  Thanks!

#4082 of 4699 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 20 2013 - 09:41 AM

Has anyone seen the Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 7 set?  The WA description says the set was remastered and I was wondering how good it looks (particularly Employees Enterance and Skyscraper Souls).  Thanks!

I have the set but not watched them yet. I'll probably get into this weekend or next week. I can post some impressions then if no one beats me to it.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#4083 of 4699 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted June 20 2013 - 10:32 AM

Wow another sale is already upon us. It's one of the save if you spend over 30 events.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#4084 of 4699 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,260 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yep they been having about 2-3 sales every month this year. Much easier to get good prices now.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#4085 of 4699 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 20 2013 - 03:03 PM

But still no international shipping option...

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#4086 of 4699 Moises

Moises

Agent

• 36 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted June 20 2013 - 04:48 PM

Warner Archive just "leaked" that they're adding OOP Paramount titles. I compiled the list of 13 (listed below) and the "leak" video in question here:

OOP Watch: Warner Archive Adds...Out of Print Paramount!

• The Naked Jungle
  • The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull
  • Hello Down There
  • Brother Sun Sister Moon
  • The Brotherhood
  • The Molly Maguires
  • Back to the Beach
  • Lifeguard
  • Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
  • White Dawn
  • Anything Goes
  • Family Jewels

These have to just be the tip of a mountain-sized iceberg.

• RLane777 likes this
I write: Arthouse Cowboy

I podcast: Electric Shadow (movies & tech), Giant Size (getting into comics), and Thank You For Calling! (customer service) on ESN.

Subscribe in iTunes.

#4087 of 4699 RLane777

RLane777

Agent

• 35 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted June 20 2013 - 05:09 PM

Warner Archive just "leaked" that they're adding OOP Paramount titles. I compiled the list of 13 (listed below) and the "leak" video in question here:

OOP Watch: Warner Archive Adds...Out of Print Paramount!

• The Naked Jungle
  • The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull
  • Hello Down There
  • Brother Sun Sister Moon
  • The Brotherhood
  • The Molly Maguires
  • Back to the Beach
  • Lifeguard
  • Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
  • White Dawn
  • Anything Goes
  • Family Jewels

These have to just be the tip of a mountain-sized iceberg.

I hope they do this and you can count me in if they provide the extras from the original release.

My blog - classic-movies-review.blogspot.com

#4088 of 4699 Moises

Moises

Agent

• 36 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted June 20 2013 - 05:21 PM

I hope they do this and you can count me in if they provide the extras from the original release.

They just confirmed to me, on the record, that not only are they doing this, but that they absolutely are retaining all extras. "All of these will retain their original extras, just like the WB DVD titles we bring back into print".

I write: Arthouse Cowboy

I podcast: Electric Shadow (movies & tech), Giant Size (getting into comics), and Thank You For Calling! (customer service) on ESN.

Subscribe in iTunes.

#4089 of 4699 John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,650 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 05:34 PM

If I recall correctly, titles like "Back To The Beach" and "Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy" didn't even have so much as a trailer, let alone any other extras. I'm guessing this is applying to the older titles only.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I would hope not, though. It'd be cool to have trailers for those movies on the Warner Archive prints.

Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#4090 of 4699 Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 07:50 PM

The DVD of LIFEGUARD had no extras, while the older VHS version had an introduction by Joan Collins.

#4091 of 4699 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 30 2013 - 10:34 PM

I bought several WA titles recently from WA and ImportCDs.  I received the Nick Carter Triple Feature, Key to the City, A Guy Named Joe and Cheyenne.  I watched Cheyenne yesterday a 1947 western directed by Raoul Walsh with a screenplay co-written by Alan Le May, who wrote the novels The Searchers and The Unforgiven along with the screenplays of several fine westerns.  Cheyenne's not a great western, but is one that entertained me. 

I'm still waiting on the following WA ttitles to show up:

The Steel Trap

Never Let Me Go

Heaven with a Gun

The Mask of Dimitrios

Terror on a Train

Fast Company/Fast and Loose/Fast Furious

Right Cross

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4092 of 4699 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,725 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:14 AM

I'm still waiting on the following WA ttitles to show up:

The Steel Trap

Never Let Me Go

Heaven with a Gun

The Mask of Dimitrios

Terror on a Train

Fast Company/Fast and Loose/Fast Furious

Right Cross

The Mask Of Dimitrios is better than I expected after Warners said the elements were in bad shape. You can see why Warners delayed releasing this on disc but they've done a good job making it watchable. 

#4093 of 4699 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2013 - 01:07 AM

The Mask Of Dimitrios is better than I expected after Warners said the elements were in bad shape. You can see why Warners delayed releasing this on disc but they've done a good job making it watchable. 

They used MPI a company that works with Warner on getting these titles ready for DVD and BD releases.  MPI also worked on Cabaret and the James Dean films just to name a few examples of their work.  Another example is A Guy Named Joe DVD that I will be viewing this week.  MPI is crucial to WA and other titles being prepared for BD releases.  By the way, this isn't the same MPI that released Becket on BD.

• JoHud likes this

Crawdaddy

#4094 of 4699 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:16 PM

Other than likely being from a 2nd+ generation print and slight debris, I though The Mask of Dimitrios looked very good. 

Titles that get delayed due to "poor elements" are delayed for a variety of reasons:  Nitrate damage, missing footage, low image quality, missing or damaged sprockets, shrinkage, etc.  Some are fixable with the right tools (i.e. photochemical restoration, wet-gate scanning) and some are beyond help and require alternative prints.  I recall Feltenstein mentioning The Key (1934) was one of the latter cases where they're waiting to scan a quality LoC print. for future release.

They used MPI a company that works with Warner on getting these titles ready for DVD and BD releases.  MPI also worked on Cabaret and the James Dean films just to name a few examples of their work.  Another example is A Guy Named Joe DVD that I will be viewing this week.

I also have a hunch that the recent release of Jupiter's Darling is another one of those titles.  MPI seems to be handling many of the long MIA higher profile WB titles like that and Red Dust.

Edited by JoHud, July 01 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#4095 of 4699 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2013 - 01:12 PM

Other than likely being from a 2nd+ generation print and slight debris, I though The Mask of Dimitrios looked very good. 

Titles that get delayed due to "poor elements" are delayed for a variety of reasons:  Nitrate damage, missing footage, low image quality, missing or damaged sprockets, shrinkage, etc.  Some are fixable with the right tools (i.e. photochemical restoration, wet-gate scanning) and some are beyond help and require alternative prints.  I recall Feltenstein mentioning The Key (1934) was one of the latter cases where they're waiting to scan a quality LoC print. for future release.

I also have a hunch that the recent release of Jupiter's Darling is another one of those titles.  MPI seems to be handling many of the long MIA higher profile WB titles like that and Red Dust.

They do, as one of the best things about the HTF Meet from last year was going into MPI's facility and talking with their people and seeing some fine examples of their great work.  As George Feltenstein told me, without MPI, many of these titles couldn't meet Warners specifications for release onto DVD or BD.

Crawdaddy

#4096 of 4699 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,102 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 01 2013 - 09:34 PM

For those interested, Warner Archive made an announcement on their Facebook page about an "Americana" sale at Amazon for selected WAC titles. Most are less than half-price. Sale ends July 31st.

http://www.amazon.co...n/ABYKAPJSL5DYU

• Robin9 and classicmovieguy like this

#4097 of 4699 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 01 2013 - 09:44 PM

Wow!  Some good titles there!

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#4098 of 4699 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 02 2013 - 01:07 AM

For those interested, Warner Archive made an announcement on their Facebook page about an "Americana" sale at Amazon for selected WAC titles. Most are less than half-price. Sale ends July 31st.

I got caught again buying titles through a previous more expensive sale. :rolleyes:

Crawdaddy

#4099 of 4699 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,630 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 02 2013 - 04:36 AM

There are some great titles there; alas, no Bowery Boys! What could be more American than they are!

#4100 of 4699 JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted July 02 2013 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Some great titles that have been on my wish list and very reasonable pricing plus free shipping with Amazon Prime. I wonder if WAC is going to have an equivalent or even better sale on their site for the 4th holiday weekend. Agreed with Matt above on The Bowery Boys, however, those collections are probably selling too well at full retail to be included in the sale. Most of the titles included appear to be deep "catalogue" items that have been in release for three or four years now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users