Posted November 18 2010 - 04:31 PM
December 14th it is.....
THIS DECEMBER, A&E HOME ENTERTAINMENT DELIVERS A CULT CLASSIC SERIES FROM “THUNDERBIRDS” AND “UFO” CREATOR GERRY ANDERSON ON STUNNING BLU-RAY FOR FIRST TIME!
For over 45 years, legendary British TV producer Gerry Anderson churned out groundbreaking television series like no other. From his unique, genre-busting “Supermarionation” of the hip, high-octane 60s’ programs THUNDERBIRDS and CAPTAIN SCARLET to the moon-based exploits of the lost-in-space Commander John Koening (Martin Landau) and Dr. Helena Russell (Barbara Bain) in SPACE: 1999, the visionary Anderson has long been at the forefront of creating “Must-See Cult TV.” Now, this December, A&E Home Entertainment serves up one of Anderson’s most celebrated programs in spectacular hi-def with the eagerly anticipated SPACE: 1999: THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE BLU-RAY EDITION.
Available on December 14 for $99.95srp, the seven disc set includes all 24 first season episodes, digitally restored and remastered in sparkling 1080p Blu-ray and sporting newly recorded 5.1 Surround Sound mixes. In addition, the BD set includes two bonus discs packed with hours of extras and featurettes never-before-released in the U.S., including:
· Original 'as broadcast' mono track
· Music-only tracks on all episodes except ‘Breakaway’ and ‘Dragon’s Domain’
· Anderson commentary on ‘Breakaway’ and ‘Dragon’s Domain’
· Extensive HD image galleries of rare and previously unseen stills
· HD image galleries of gum and cigarette cards
· HD restored, textless titles
· "These Episodes" featurettes
· "Memories of Space” featurette
· Sylvia Anderson interview
· Series One textless generic titles
· "Concept and Creation" featurette
· Special effects and design featurette
· Text episode commentaries on The Last Sunset and Space Brain’
· "Clapperboard" two-part special on the work of Gerry Anderson from 1975
· "Guardian of Piri Remembered"
· Barry Gray's theme demo
· Alternative opening and closing titles
· Martin Landau and Barbara Bain US Premier intro and outro
· SFX plates and deleted SFX scenes - with music track
In Anderson’s epic series, it’s 1999 when a spectacular explosion at a lunar nuclear waste dump sends the moon out of Earth’s orbit, propelling the men and women of Moonbase Alpha on a treacherous journey across the universe. Left with no way home, the Moonbase residents, led by Landau (“Entourage,” Ed Wood) and Bain (“CSI,” “Mission: Impossible”), are forced to embark upon the greatest adventure of their lives, encountering bizarre life forms and strange phenomena as they struggle to survive among the awe-inspiring wonders of deepest space. And, although, their ultimate journey only lasted two seasons and, in a New York Times review (1975), noted author Issac Asimov thought it implausible that so large a lunar base would exist by 1999, SPACE: 1999 captured and enraptured the minds and souls of a sci-fi hungry generation.
With its progressive plotlines, outstanding cast and long list of celebrated guest stars, as well as astonishing special effects from Oscar® winner Brian Johnson (Alien, The Empire Strikes Back), SPACE: 1999 has secured its place as one of the most thought-provoking series of the 20th century -- and beyond. And SPACE: 1999: THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE BLU-RAY EDITION delivers this seminal, thought-provoking cult classic to sci-fi, cult TV and genre fans everywhere in its most pristine, extras-laden version to date.
Run Time: 20 hrs., 48 mins. + extras
Format: BD/7 Discs
Street: December 14