What's new

Space 1999 (1 Viewer)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Originally Posted by SWFF
Yeah, Richard, END OF ETERNITY is another excellent one! That was another episode that mde you "think." Love how they got rid of him; Koenig essentially "kicked his ass off the base." I don't see any other way you could have dealt with him, too. The dude definitely had a head full of bad wiring. The "model airplane bit" still gives me pause when I see it.

Yeah, I think it's probably the most chilling of all the episodes - Peter Bowles is great as Balor and the concept of an immortal psychopathic sadist is excellent.

Also Balor's fate is pretty chilling - to be locked away for all eternity, alone (the novelisation expands on the idea, in that the Alphans note that the painiting - which we later find out are depictions of the crimes - are not created in the asteroid. "No pigments, no paints, in fact, nothing at all" which leads them to wonder what sort of people could inflict such a punishment. Of course we later find out that the Progons couldn;t do anything else, as the immortality was irreversible).

The end sequence indicates that the prison asteroid recaptures him, because it - like Balor is effectively immortal as it can regenerate.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebiroth

Yeah, I think it's probably the most chilling of all the episodes
For the "evil that men do" concept, for lack of a better term, yeah, it is the most chilling. Monster-wise, hands down, DRAGON'S DOMAIN. As for the supernatural, THE TROUBLED SPIRIT, troubled me greatly when I saw it. And, the most oddly fascinating, that sorta delves into the vampire mythology, FORCE OF LIFE. I was shocked to see how Alan's laser blasted all the skin off Anton's body at the end of that episode.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
There has been one report on another forum that the U.K. Network DVDs will play in a player set to Region A, with the person inferring that the discs are Region A B. I'm wondering if there's anybody in the U.K. with a region A player who can confirm this.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that the set can play in Region A or B.

BTW, I checked the listing in Amazon for Space and it will be released November 30th, delayed from November 2.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I was hoping that the studio would have done something with the wires. In some of the shots they are present.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SWFF
The "model airplane bit" still gives me pause when I see it.
And that scene was edited-down because it was seen to be too gory! There's at least one still that survives of a much bloodier Koenig than we saw in the finished episode.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
There still isn't a satisfactory confirmation on Region A compatibility. Just the observations of one person (a guy named Indiana Jones on other forums). Before I put down the dough for the Network set (which comes to over 100 of my Canadian dollars), I need rather more than anecdotal comment on Region A compatibility.

A&E keeps delaying its release. Now Dec. 14. At this rate, it'll be well into 2011 before the A&E sets come to blu light.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Kevin L McCorry
There still isn't a satisfactory confirmation on Region A compatibility. Just the observations of one person (a guy named Indiana Jones on other forums). Before I put down the dough for the Network set (which comes to over 100 of my Canadian dollars), I need rather more than anecdotal comment on Region A compatibility.
Why not send Network an email and ask? Unlike some some companies, they tend to answer their mail.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
More reports are coming in that the Network discs aren't region-coded. The bonus discs (DVDs) are in PAL, however. Don't know if they're Region 2.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have the original box set that i purchased from Amazon.ca. I watch a few episodes from time to time. I still like the show, but not as much as other sci-fi shows i have in my collecton, like Star Trek, Enterprise, Time Tunnel, Kolchak, Buck Rogers, etc.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Kevin L McCorry
More reports are coming in that the Network discs aren't region-coded. The bonus discs (DVDs) are in PAL, however. Don't know if they're Region 2.
Another forum said the two DVD discs are encoded for Regions 2 & 4.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I have the Network Blu-Rays. Limited edition # 1365. The BDs are Region A compatible, and the extra features discs are PAL (not sure about the region).

They inserted episode clips from the remastered prints into the These Episodes documentary, in place of the old 2001 film elements used for that documentary in its 2005 iteration. The expanded version contains analysis of "Matter of Life and Death", "Another Time, Another Place", "Guardian of Piri", "Force of Life", and "Voyager's Return". Memories of Space is just the same people who participated in the These Episodes documentary talking about the experience of making the series and the longevity of its following. Sylvia Anderson's piece is little more than a finger-pointing exercise with plenty of gossip and smear. Totally unprofessional, in my view (no wonder A&E is going to cut it down). But that's seems par for the course these days among the people who produced this wonderful TV show. Sad. The photo galleries are interesting but not as extensive as I'd hoped. Lots of alternate angles of the "Dragon's Domain" monster and Tony Cellini's battle with it. All of the better extras are on the sixth disc and on the discs with the episodes. Disc 7 contains the less essential extras and the ones with the poorest picture quality.

Video on the episodes looks as good as would be expected given that these are the same transfers used on the 2005 DVDs but without video compression artifacts and the better color possible with Blu-Ray. "The Metamorph" was a revelation, though. Absolutely gorgeous color. Sadly, they didn't paint out the wires on the Eagles.

I am less impressed with the audio. The 5.1 has occasional dropout and some hiss and sometimes muffled music (including the intro), and the original mono is very hissy and has occasional pops. But at least there's no longer PAL speed-up.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Mmm, I'm inclined. Not only do I want the Metamorph, but I really dislike the fact that A&E's packaging goes off freelancing while Network respects the existing brand.

I've done some design work myself, and understand the desire to create something new rather that recreating the old, but fans of older shows appreciate respect for the original style and approach. Looking at Network's Space: 1999 (and The Prisoner), and then A&E's, Network sets off my geek. A&E looks like a 21st Century home video product, which it is, but should that be the point?

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I would still recommend supporting the A&E release, though. Because A&E is more likely than Network to release the second season on Blu. I actually doubt Network will ever release the second season. There are rumors that A&E will. Possibly just the extant DVD transfers without digital compression. Or maybe another remaster done out of Los Angeles. It could be a 5-disc set with all 24 episodes plus "Message From Moonbase Alpha" and all of the behind-the-scenes stuff on the DVDs. I wouldn't expect much else.

But if sales for the A&E set are low, BDs for season 2 probably won't happen. I'll get the A&E set, even if just for Region 1 NTSC DVDs of the bonus discs.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
December 14th it is.....

[COLOR= black]THIS DECEMBER, A&E HOME ENTERTAINMENT DELIVERS A CULT CLASSIC SERIES FROM “THUNDERBIRDS” AND “UFO” CREATOR GERRY ANDERSON ON STUNNING BLU-RAY FOR FIRST TIME![/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]For over 45 years, legendary British TV producer Gerry Anderson churned out groundbreaking television series like no other. From his unique, genre-busting “Supermarionation” of the hip, high-octane 60s’ programs THUNDERBIRDS and CAPTAIN SCARLET to the moon-based exploits of the lost-in-space Commander John Koening (Martin Landau) and Dr. Helena Russell (Barbara Bain) in SPACE: 1999, the visionary Anderson has long been at the forefront of creating “Must-See Cult TV.” Now, this December, A&E Home Entertainment serves up one of Anderson’s most celebrated programs in spectacular hi-def with the eagerly anticipated SPACE: 1999: THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE BLU-RAY EDITION.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Available on December 14 for $99.95srp, [/COLOR]the seven disc set includes all 24 first season episodes, digitally restored and remastered in sparkling 1080p Blu-ray and sporting newly recorded 5.1 Surround Sound mixes. In addition, the BD set includes two bonus discs packed with hours of extras and featurettes never-before-released in the U.S., including:

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Original 'as broadcast' mono track[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Music-only tracks on all episodes except ‘Breakaway’ and ‘Dragon’s Domain’[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Anderson commentary on ‘Breakaway’ and ‘Dragon’s Domain’[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Extensive HD image galleries of rare and previously unseen stills[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]HD image galleries of gum and cigarette cards[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]HD restored, textless titles[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]"These Episodes" featurettes [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]"Memories of Space” featurette[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Sylvia Anderson interview[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Series One textless generic titles[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]"Concept and Creation" featurette[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Special effects and design featurette[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Text episode commentaries on The Last Sunset and Space Brain’[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]"Clapperboard" two-part special on the work of Gerry Anderson from 1975[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]"Guardian of Piri Remembered"[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Barry Gray's theme demo[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Alternative opening and closing titles[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Martin Landau and Barbara Bain US Premier intro and outro[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]·[/COLOR] [COLOR= black]SFX plates and deleted SFX scenes - with music track[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]In Anderson’s epic series, it’s 1999 when a spectacular explosion at a lunar nuclear waste dump sends the moon out of Earth’s orbit, propelling the men and women of Moonbase Alpha on a treacherous journey across the universe. Left with no way home, the Moonbase residents, led by Landau (“Entourage,” Ed Wood) and Bain (“CSI,” “Mission: Impossible”), are forced to embark upon the greatest adventure of their lives, encountering bizarre life forms and strange phenomena as they struggle to survive among the awe-inspiring wonders of deepest space. And, although, their ultimate journey only lasted two seasons and,[/COLOR] in a New York Times review (1975), noted author Issac Asimov thought it implausible that so large a lunar base would exist by 1999, SPACE: 1999 captured and enraptured the minds and souls of a sci-fi hungry generation.

[COLOR= black]With its progressive plotlines, outstanding cast and long list of celebrated guest stars, as well as astonishing special effects from Oscar® winner Brian Johnson (Alien, The Empire Strikes Back), SPACE: 1999 has secured its place as one of the most thought-provoking series of the 20th century -- and beyond. And SPACE: 1999: THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE BLU-RAY EDITION delivers this seminal, thought-provoking cult classic to sci-fi, cult TV and genre fans everywhere in its most pristine, extras-laden version to date.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Run Time:[/COLOR][COLOR= black] 20 hrs., 48 mins. + extras[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Format:[/COLOR][COLOR= black] BD/7 Discs[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Price:[/COLOR][COLOR= black]$99.95[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Street:[/COLOR][COLOR= black] December 14[/COLOR]

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
More to the point, the A&E covers look like unofficial knock offs. I want the UK version more (not only for the cover, but for the booklet) but the fact that the bonus material is in PAL is a deal breaker. I've already confirmed that my players don't play PAL.

By the way, is it my imagination or did the Amazon price jump from $69.99 to the present $91.99

Originally Posted by Joseph Burns
Mmm, I'm inclined. Not only do I want the Metamorph, but I really dislike the fact that A&E's packaging goes off freelancing while Network respects the existing brand.

I've done some design work myself, and understand the desire to create something new rather that recreating the old, but fans of older shows appreciate respect for the original style and approach. Looking at Network's Space: 1999 (and The Prisoner), and then A&E's, Network sets off my geek. A&E looks like a 21st Century home video product, which it is, but should that be the point?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers
More to the point, the A&E covers look like unofficial knock offs. I want the UK version more (not only for the cover, but for the booklet) but the fact that the bonus material is in PAL is a deal breaker. I've already confirmed that my players don't play PAL.
You could get a cheap $35 Philips DVD player to handle the PAL DVD content if you were still leaning toward the UK version, as I think the 'bonus disc(s)' are all DVDs anyway and not BluRays.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i bought the dvd a few years ago and watch it periodically. I remember seeing the show on saturday afternoon, like 2 or 3 pm. It was a good show, but, i would recommend this show if you like sci-fi,

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
why the studios would not want to paint out the wires for the blu ray release is beyond me. The more they enhance the picture the more the wires stick out like a sore thumb.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Because it would be enormously expensive. This show uses an awful lot of model shots and they'd have to go through the lot frame by frame.

It's true, with BluRay you are viewing the show in much greater detail than the makers ever thought anyone would be able to. Remember the sort of TV's this would have been on! So be prepared for a lower suspension-of-disbelief. There are other things visible as well - you can see that certain of the sets are constructed of painted wood as well (such as the Ultra Probe interiors in Dragon's Domain)

Nonetheless, the production values are superlative. The effects stand up astonishingly well for a show of this age. They are easily up to the standards of what would be expected from a major film production of the time and stand head and shoulders above the other TV shows.

And you can see the wires in the standard DVD if you look for them :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks