Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lots of Sony catalog titles - July-Oct

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 07 2009 - 08:12 AM

Blu-ray.com - July-October Wave of Catalog Blu-ray Titles from Sony

* July 28: 'A River Runs Through It'
* August 11: 'About Last Night…', 'Blue Thunder', 'Starman', 'St. Elmo's Fire'
* August 18: 'Go'
* September 1: 'Labyrinth'
* September 8: 'The Quick and the Dead', 'Silverado'
* September 15: 'Easy Rider', 'Punch-Drunk Love'
* October 13: 'The Craft', 'Wolf / Dracula / Frankenstein Trilogy' ('Wolf', 'Bram Stoker's Dracula', 'Mary Shelley's Frankenstein')
* October 20: 'Freedomland', 'Snatch'

At least for the moment, 'Wolf' and 'Mary Shelley's Frankenstein' won't be available separately.

I'll be picking up Labyrinth and Easy Rider for sure. I might pick up Snatch.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 07 2009 - 08:16 AM

How come you don't link our release thread with these new titles.Posted Image

http://www.hometheat....e-listing.html

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 08:18 AM

Simply didn't cross my mind. I'll do so in the future. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 08:25 AM

ReleaseLists.com is also saying The Dark Crystal is coming September 1 alongside Labyrinth. I don't know if they have different sources than Blu-ray.com, or if they're just lumping in all the rumored releases that today's update finally gave dates to, though.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 08:35 AM

It's probably accurate. Those two almost always get sold together to help cross promote each other. I will gladly pick up The Dark Crystal as well. Posted Image

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 10:09 AM

Blue Thunder and Silverado for me!!
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 10:10 AM

Yay--the more catalog titles that come out, the more interested people will get in the wonders of BluRay! (As you might imagine, I love BluRay and actively promote it to those who are on the fence about the upgrade).

#8 of 17 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,312 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 07 2009 - 10:14 AM

Punch Drunk Love and Starman for me.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 08:01 AM

If Sony reads this, please include the commentary from the R2 DVD release of Starman on the Blu-Ray. Since the R2 release was also done by Sony/Columbia, there shouldn't really be any good reason not to include it.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 08:39 AM

Starman, Easy Rider, and Punch-Drunk Love here.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 08:54 AM

It's extremely unfortunate that Sony's new trend seems to not offer certain titles individually....such as Frankenstein. I don't want Wolf and I already own Dracula. I guess I won't be buying it.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 09:08 AM

I don't think those titles won't be offered separately. Seems more like a Halloween package, or something.

Easy Rider, Punch-Drunk Love, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal (if that really comes out) for me. Punch-Drunk Love is an amazing film, with stunning cinematography to boot. The other three I always wanted to buy, but somehow it never got to that on dvd.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 04:13 AM

Nothing for me in this batch.

These are the Sony titles I'm waiting for.

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

and

Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 07:58 AM

I don't think Sony will put all their best titles out on Blu-Ray in one batch Posted Image. Too bad, I know.
They are working on Lawrence of Arabia, though.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 11 2009 - 09:05 AM

I want Marie Antoinette so bad! but I will buy GO and Punch-Drunk Love and Labyrinth and I am sure Dark Crystal will come out at the sametime. Maybe a few more on the list. I already own dracula but want to see WOLF but I won't buy multiple films on one BD release.

I never bought In Cold BLood / Capote because I felt IN Cold Blood and Capoter deserved seperate releases. I hate the cover for it also.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
It's extremely unfortunate that Sony's new trend seems to not offer certain titles individually....such as Frankenstein. I don't want Wolf and I already own Dracula. I guess I won't be buying it.

And I only want FRANKENSTEIN.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted June 04 2014 - 09:48 AM

Blue Thunder and Silverado for me!!

Blue Thunder is a poorly botched up Dolby mix on bluray its to be avoided.

The idiot that remixed it for bluray has fake stereo surrounds when they should be duel mono. The left and right fronts have been mixed onto the mono surrounds so its almost impossible to hear when the mono surrounds become active on the original mix as the level of the fake stereo surround masks right over the mono surrounds.

It gets worse.

The centre discrete has the centre phantom from the left and right sandwiched right over the centre so no way of telling or hearing those discrete softer sounds on the centre or tell the difference between certain bass music beats that are 100% isolated from the rest of the mix.

If that wasn't worse?

The idiot has also use the bass from LCR and covered all over the LFE.1 so no way of telling when the true LFE.1 effects come in and out on the mix? :angry: 

The same bullshit was done to 2010 the year we make contact (1984)

I'll keep the DVD versions as they're not butchered up to sell bluray as format. Shame on the mixer who did this to these films and god, knows how many more this idiot has done?   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users