What's new

Best A/V Receiver for around $1000 (1 Viewer)

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to re do my home theater. I've got a Mit 65 in. and a Tosh 4700 dvd that are staying everthing else is out. I'd like some advice on a receiver, or receiver speaker combinations. I've listened to the NAD T761. I like it, always have liked NAD power, but I've heard bad things about quality of product (other than sound) Any direction on what else to listen to would be greatly appreciated. - Thanks, Scott

TalalS

Auditioning
Scott,

based on my current onkyo 989 i'd highly recomend the 797 while many may claim suprior sound quality few give you an amp thats as easy to set-up & use as onkyo IMHO.

however since i used to own a marantz SR-96 before that. i'd say that if you can strech your budget to the new SR-8200 "around $1250 or so" i'd say go for it since it has the best features & and specs that $1250 can get.

Thnaks

J

John Morris

Hmmm, if you are stretching you budget to $1250 or so, you might also try to find a Sherwood Newcastle R-963. They should be available by now, maybe? Check it out here: R-963 If this receiver continues in the vein of their recent releases like the AVP-9080r, it could be a real market/value leader. Finally, if you can do without 7.1 and DPL2, you might be able to end up with a decent pre/pro and Amp combination for that price.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the onkyo 797! For under a grand it's one kick-ass reciever.

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with John, I'd go for the Marantz SR-8200, that's the one I'm looking at.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Surprised I am the first to mention it, but the Denon 3802, in my opinion, is the best. Just wait until S&V tests this baby, then we will see the facts separated from the fiction! :) The others may have some nicer ergonomics, but the 3802 is for real when it comes to performance. I have never, ever seen a Denon product fail on any benchmark test. In fact, they always come through with flying colors. You can't say that about a lot of the other manufacturers listed - as most have had at least one dud. The Denons generally live up to their hype, and have the measurments to prove it.
Bryan

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input to this. It's great. I would like to make one small clarification about my "around" $1000. I'd say minus $300 to plus $500. But I really do appreciate the input to this point. And Bryan I was going to look at the Denon 3802, but I haven't had the chance to this point. keep them coming. Thanks all - Scott

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Scott;

IMHO since you are going to spend this amount of money I would definately get the Denon 3802 and the Denon 5200 amp. Get the receiver from a B&M close to you and then do an internet price match using Amex Blue. It's good for $250 off per invoice. I doubt you will find a better deal.

Just my .02 cents.

PaulMaddock

Auditioning
You may want to include the Onkyo 898 in your consideration. It offers a lot of the essentials from the Denon 3802 (which would be my second choice by a nose) and adds THX Select Certification along with THX EX. I know some deride paying for the Logo but I think its worth a little. Comparing the cost of the 3802 and the 898 from authorized dealers it wasn't much more to pay.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Yamaha. Very good build quality and great performance. The new RX-V1200 and the soon to be released RX-V2200 are both loaded with the latest processing and look to be real winners.

Dane_D

Grip
I've had Yamaha and Denon receivers in the past, my latest purchase was the Yamaha RXV800 ($799), I have never had any issues with either brand, but I find the Yamaha has a little more punch. Also I have Snell E.5 floor standing($1300), Snell CR.5 center($549), and Snell SR.5 surrounds($499). Amazing sound from these speakers. I have my old Yamaha integrated 85 watt amp running 2 Cerwin Vega 12" Subs, lots of rumble, but some distortion.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Put me down for the Onkyo 797 or 898. Both are great receivers(I have the 797). If you can stretch it though to about $1250, I agree with an earlier suggestion of the Marantz SR8200. I had the SR7000 and it was a great piece in it's own right. The Denon 3802 is a fine piece also and the price has recently slipped under $700 at certain internet vendors. Good luck.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
The Marantz SR-8200 is bad to the bone! It is worth every freaking penny they are asking for it. Audition one, you may be pleasantly surprised! :)
Pete

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your help. I finally got to listen to the Marantz 8200 and it flat out smokes the Denon in 2 channel. I still have to listen to the Onkyo 898, but so far the jury is leaning very heavily in the Marantz corner. Thanks again, Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks